SBW in the GF

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Rodo

Goldmember
Tipping Member
I watched the GF for the first time last night after going to the game and I thought SBW was the difference between the two teams. Without him I think Manly would have won. Leading 18-8, we had it in the bag and only needed to control the play for us to win but SBW pulled out a couple of freakish plays to get them back into the match.

Foran was marking up against SBW in the first half and did not give SBW any room in attack. This caused him to drop a couple of balls and he could not get away any passes to support players.

Things changed in the second half and last night I suddenly realised that Foran was no longer marking up against SBW. SBW had changed his positioning by playing more in the centre and on the left. This I think was a master stroke and allowed him more room in attack. From there he was able to throw the ball to Maloney after it was not wrapped up (by Stewart) in the tackle leading to the first try and also allowed him to burst through Burher's tackle leading to the second try. Without these two big plays they would never have got over the top of Manly.

CH9's Sunday Footy show the week before the GF. They spoke of the Video Ref ruling on forward passes, in light of the
Knights-Roosters game.
All were in agreement, saying the Ref could make use of the technology if he wanted.

Very prophetic conversation given what happened on GF day.

The thing SBW or Robinson got right, was move him from attacking the right edge where Foran & Matai made him look 2nd rate & played him on the left edge & mid field.
Lack of closing him down proved fatal, without his 2 moments we go on to win by 10 - 16 points imo.

PS - Watch for the new rule in 2014 - video refs can rule on foward passes...

What about video refs being able to rule on obvious wrong calls by the on-field ref - like all those made by Rooster Hayne?

MK Eagle said:
The thing SBW or Robinson got right, was move him from attacking the right edge where Foran & Matai made him look 2nd rate & played him on the left edge & mid field.
Lack of closing him down proved fatal, without his 2 moments we go on to win by 10 - 16 points imo.

PS - Watch for the new rule in 2014 - video refs can rule on foward passes...

Exactly right MK. Everything else would have been irrelevant (forward passes, Tupou, refs, etc.) if SBW had not moved from the right side in attack. If Manly had stopped SBW in the second half then they would have won.

Well, Good point, The Who.
Like I said in other posts, Hayne had it in for Manly with the Foran,"I've had a gut full of you" back in '11.
He was overlooked as GF Ref in '11,
& has been festering ever since.

The Who said:
What about video refs being able to rule on obvious wrong calls by the on-field ref - like all those made by Rooster Hayne?

I'd love to know what the video refs do when they're not asked by the on-field ref to make a call. Do they just sit back and read a book while play is going on? The video refs could quite easily signal to the on-field ref if they notice something that the on-field ref has missed or called incorrectly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4