Sam Burgess chasing Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Was listening to this on the Matty Johns podcast on the way to work tonight, I nearly drove off the road! Would have been a great pick up but alas that's the way it goes. Every club has a similar story. Dogs and JT, Cows and Ponga, Eels and whoever was luck enough to dodge that bullet etc etc

It was common knowledge at the time. Now “revealed” lol.

That year we had a premiership winning pack and another premiership to win. Plus a tough cap with the Stewarts, choc, Matai and Jamie needing upgrades. The Australian prop kite and two young halves coming through. We couldn’t afford to keep Maria Hargreaves.

At that period manly could only afford to add Chris Bailey and great value players like gulavao, so a young gun international forward like burgess wasn’t really an option.

Last edited:
i think the transfer fee was a sticking point in getting him straight away but russ had no problems sorting that out

Was listening to this on the Matty Johns podcast on the way to work tonight, I nearly drove off the road! Would have been a great pick up but alas that's the way it goes. Every club has a similar story. Dogs and JT, Cows and Ponga, Eels and whoever was luck enough to dodge that bullet etc etc

Eels and Jamie Lyon...

I think the main point was that Manly wasnt chasing him.
On the podcast Burgess says with honesty that he loved Beaver ( and before you all go nuts he ment bever menzies) and that he talked him into going to manly. It was Burgess who kept ringing Des pleading for a go. He even said he'd play for free.
Would have been a handy pickup.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6