Salute to Tooves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Frank

Bencher
I rarely start a thread on a here, however, I feel compelled to do so just to say a few words on Toovey's performance since being thrown in at the deep end when Hasler left.

When Des left I was angry. I was angry at the way he left and the possibility that he had conspired to make life difficult for the club with regard to player retention. One thing I was never worried about was his successor. We all new Tooves would get the job, but I was quietly confident that he would excel in the position.

In my opinion we have lost nothing with regard to the toughness and defensive capabilities of our team. However I do feel that we are a much sharper attacking unit than we ever were with Des in charge. There seems to be a lot more imagination with our attack, particularly set plays like we saw last Friday night.

In one of the most open competitions in years we are now alone at the top of the ladder. Hopefully we will stay there.

The ultimate compliment for a coach is when opposing fans single him out as something special. I get this quite often. When I do hear these compliments my first thought is............Des who?

Mr Toovey. I salute you.

Well said Frank. One of the biggest compliments Toovs can get was on the weekend when the MMM team were saying what a great job Toovey has done. Kent, M Johns and Gordie were singing his praises

Somehow, his "Investigation, Ridiculous" press conference, for which he received a $10k fine, was the turning point. To the outside world anyway.

It was an outward demonstration of love for his club, his feeling for his players, and a refusal to take the bad deal Manly were getting with refereeing. Prior to that, he was still perhaps in the shadow of Hasler, having been the 'waterboy', or assistant. It was noticed and commented upon by league fans and media everywhere. It demonstrated his passion for the Mighty Sea Eagles, in a coaching capacity.

I cant remember any of the Hasler press conferences. But i can remember, Toovey's and will have difficulty forgetting it.

In the same way fans have favourite players, I love Toovey and the theatre he brings to the game each week. I loved him as a player, and I love him as a coach. Praise the great man!

When you think about people you want involved with the club Toovey would be right at the top. (along with Beaver). Tooves just loves the club and would do anything to see it succeed and not be screwed around by those who only have self interest at heart.

I'm glad he is finally getting some recognition. All the critics wrote us off for 2 straight years, but then when he did well said 'yeh but he inherited a great team from Des'. (Then why did you all write us off??)

Yep and if we do the double ( Minor and Major Premiers) I say build a statue for Tooves outside Brookie Oval!

It wouldn't cost much, material-wise...lol.

Small in stature; a giant of the game!

RiverEagle said:
Yep and if we do the double ( Minor and Major Premiers) I say build a statue for Tooves outside Brookie Oval!

Not a bad idea RE!

That's why in another thread, where the question was asked who's made a difference for us this year, I was singing Tooves' praises - having 2 years under his belt has certainly helped us.

If De$ had stayed, would Cherry and Foz be as good as they are now? Would Joey have been exclusively employed by Manly? Would T-Rex have left us? Me thinks definitely not - thanks muchly to Tooves!

ALinda said:
RiverEagle said:

Not a bad idea RE!

That's why in another thread, where the question was asked who's made a difference for us this year, I was singing Tooves' praises - having 2 years under his belt has certainly helped us.

If De$ had stayed, would Cherry and Foz be as good as they are now? Would Joey have been exclusively employed by Manly? Would T-Rex have left us? Me thinks definitely not - thanks muchly to Tooves!

Yes you can't praise him too much Linda, from when he took over and how he's steadied the ship, AND got the best out of this group so far.

Legend.

One of our best ever players and one of our best ever coaches. He has got that all important mix of smarts AND passion.

I love the style of football Manly are playing under him, he took the best parts of Des and has put his polish on it. We are a better team these days, I'd love to see Manly 2014 versus Manly 2011.

The only thing I disagree with in the opening statement is he was thrown in the deep end. Whilst how he got the job was out of the blue, he was BORN to do it. Our greatest ever leader on the field and leading us off just as well.

I've noticed as the season has gone on, the forwards have started to play angry again...Tooves must have put a rocket up some of them!

HappilyManly said:
He lets the Players take front of stage and trusts them - not a control freak at all :cool:

Totally agree. He lets grown men play football. The main change you see with players that come into this side is they are allowed to play football and take ownership on the field. Reckon Killer & Snake have a lot to do with this as well.....

Well said. 2V needs a huge pat on the back.

Everyone wrote us off when des left in '11.

We powered through brunt of it in 2012, robbed GF runners up in '13 and now soaring high in '14.

Toovey has been our knight in Maroon armour.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7