Manly security guard Hans Schulz dies after Broadway shopping centre attack 18 JUN 12 @ 04:42PM BY CHARIS CHANG (Manly Daily) FRIENDS of a Manly security guard who died while working at Broadway Shopping Centre say he was a generous, happy person who ``didn't deserve to die that way''. Hans Schulz, 69, died on Sunday night after he was allegedly assaulted while trying to stop a man and a women from breaking into a Wendy's ice cream kiosk. Yesterday two people were charged with manslaughter in relation to his death. Mr Schulz, originally from Germany, made Manly his home after arriving in the late 1950s, working in local bars and pubs including the old Ivanhoe, the Manly Memorial Club and Manly Fisho's, since arriving in Australia in the late 1950s. His flatmate Victoria Fitzgerald said Mr Schulz was very popular among colleagues and friends. ``He was big, German, very generous and very well-known,'' Ms Fitzgerald said. ``He was very pro-Manly and pro-league, he was very interested in the Sea Eagles.'' Ms Fitzgerald shared a Manly flat with Mr Schulz for at least 10 years as he was a friend of her partner Klaus, who died about eight years ago. Not much is known about his family in Germany as he rarely spoke of them, she said. Ms Fitzgerald said Mr Schulz had continued to work because he needed to, despite his age. Six years ago Mr Schulz survived a battle with bowel cancer. Another friend Nicola Muggeridge said he never complained about his illness. She said Mr Schulz was always willing to share a win on the pokies and to buy a round of drinks in the pub. ``He never had to make arrangements to meet up with anyone, he would just be somewhere and everyone just knew him,'' she said. Neighbour, Jason, described Mr Schulz as a ``lovely guy, who always had a story to tell''. ``He was gentle, he used to bring home chocolate eggs for the kids at Easter time and hide them in the garden,'' he said. Jason said Mr Schulz had been talking about cutting back his hours at work. ``He was getting older, it was getting harder for him, he had a sore knee,'' he said. Yesterday, a 32-year-old man of Randwick and a 27-year-old Maroubra woman were charged with manslaughter. The man is charged with killing Mr Schulz by punching him, while the woman is charged with killing him by kicking him in the head, court papers showed. The pair did not appear in Newtown Local Court where their case was mentioned. The attack was witnessed by two children, aged five and three. Mr Schulz was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital where he was pronounced dead. Magistrate Margaret Quinn adjourned the matter to Central Local Court on June 26.