Is Mestrov really our Messiah?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plenty of dead wood to clear in the playing ranks before Mestrov for me, start with the blokes that don’t consistently put in, Alioia and Tualagi.

Then the lesser skilled players in Parker, Harper, Boyle, Woods and John’s, you can argue they are not on much coin however there comes a time when you need to invest in the younger talent to come good with experience, they need to learn by their mistakes. Panthers did it and look at them now, may not have the same calibre of juniors though young Latu was chased by every other club.

Instability in an organisation will manifest itself in various ways.

The high turnover of CEOs we had certainly wouldn’t help but is also symptomatic of issues in the club.

Seems every time someone new is brought in, whether it be CEO, coach, defence coach, fitness trainer, etc, whatever they’re doing has initial success & then it drops back to previous mediocrity.

I don’t think the blame can be levelled solely at any single person at the club, as their behaviour/results are symptomatic of the underlying issue at the club.

Yes, the players could be showing more urgency & motivation, but why aren’t they?

Is it the fault of the CEO, coach, defence coach, fitness trainer etc?

I can’t imagine the coach isn’t providing game plans to the team or the defence coach not teaching the players how to defend or the fitness trainer not getting the players fit.

Instability in an organisation will manifest itself in various ways.

The high turnover of CEOs we had certainly wouldn’t help but is also symptomatic of issues in the club.

Seems every time someone new is brought in, whether it be CEO, coach, defence coach, fitness trainer, etc, whatever they’re doing has initial success & then it drops back to previous mediocrity.

I don’t think the blame can be levelled solely at any single person at the club, as their behaviour/results are symptomatic of the underlying issue at the club.

Yes, the players could be showing more urgency & motivation, but why aren’t they?

Is it the fault of the CEO, coach, defence coach, fitness trainer etc?

I can’t imagine the coach isn’t providing game plans to the team or the defence coach not teaching the players how to defend or the fitness trainer not getting the players fit.
Why aren't the players (with a few notable exceptions) playing with urgency and motivation, you ask?? To me, the answer is simple. Their hearts aren't in it. There's no connection to the club. Basically it's a job. You're not gunna bust your arse as much for a job as you would for a passion. And those notable exceptions - Jake, Tom (albeit out of form), DCE, Parker, Garrick - those guys all bust their arses. And with the exception of Garrick, they all have long standing connection to the club. They love Manly. I don't think the others do.

Why aren't the players (with a few notable exceptions) playing with urgency and motivation, you ask?? To me, the answer is simple. Their hearts aren't in it. There's no connection to the club. Basically it's a job. You're not gunna bust your arse as much for a job as you would for a passion. And those notable exceptions - Jake, Tom (albeit out of form), DCE, Parker, Garrick - those guys all bust their arses. And with the exception of Garrick, they all have long standing connection to the club. They love Manly. I don't think the others do.
You left Froggy off that list, and no one can ever doubt his passion. However, in principle you are probably correct. The team has shown this a few times this season, such as the games against Souffs and Melbourne. Someone in authority should be able to work out why the team was Up for these two matches, and replicate it.

Wait til I do my expose on the office girl .... She's the one that prints out all the players contracts .... she has to go NOW!!

#SACKTHEOFFICEGIRL
Give me strength, you should know this by now ...... Please use the gender neutral name of Office Person

Okay ... but are we being guilty of assuming he/they/them identify as a person ... she/those/it may wish to be a pot plant this week ...
At least that partially explains why the players look like stoner's on the field if the office person identifies as the source.

Wait til I do my expose on the office girl .... She's the one that prints out all the players contracts .... she has to go NOW!!

#SACKTHEOFFICEGIRL
I like how your use irony to make your points ( very clever) but I think if you come into a business ( this is what it is) and you take on the role of the leader (CEO) and make the big calls! In we which he did very early on and power to him by the way. However if it does not work out especially the coaching role ( Des needed to be replaced but the big question was by who?) well the CEO needs to take the responsibility for it. The question to this is how long does it take to determine whether the coach is a failure or success? I think if we don’t make the 8 than it is a big fail and Mestrov needs to be held to account. This does not seem an unreasonable opinion to me but if you or others choose to disagree… that’s cool. Anyway suggesting an office girl as opposed to an office boy or other determination may offend and appear not progressive enough mate 😂

#woke up! or shut up!

Spoke to him a lot when he first started, he was absolutely fired up and determined to get the club right. It’s not that way anymore, he’s still hard working and active but not as dead set on getting the place right. Probably realised how things work or why certain things can or cannot be done.
Sounds like he might be out the door in a few months then, much like his predecessors.

You are kidding. Mestrov is a great operator. Led greyhound racing out of a period where there was real talk about it being banned for animal cruelty. Was at the forefront of introducing the 4 most lucrative greyhound races. And left Greyhound racing in the best financial position its ever been in. Football is about instant results. Business is not always. He will play the long game and win. Unless he gets sick of the Penns and quits. This club has Been a basket case since Delmege left.

Spoke to him a lot when he first started, he was absolutely fired up and determined to get the club right. It’s not that way anymore, he’s still hard working and active but not as dead set on getting the place right. Probably realised how things work or why certain things can or cannot be done.
Disappointing news if that’s the case, but not wholly unexpected. He’s come up against the Penn&Co. wall. Also he cannot expect to see any significant money for Brookvale upgrades for the foreseeable future. Something he was very keen on when he took on the role.

What he is going through happens in most careers, the realisation that these are the parameters you can operate in. Over the figurative high wall are the no-go zones.

We need him to stay on for a good 4-5 years, minimum. Preferably longer.

It helps too that the Leagues’ Club is trading well and hopefully by extension a more solid basis for the Football Club to operss as te from a position of strength.

Last edited:
Our roster is ****, coupled with a coach with no obvious game plan, I have zero expectations we will improve this year, as the last 6 weeks have shown. The good teams have kicked into gear, and we have gone backwards.
Although it appears we are a rabble, I can’t cop the no game plan part. Not when you have Flanno in the ranks. I just think our personal in key positions on the field right now are that bad they can’t execute any type of game plan delivered to them.

I like how your use irony to make your points ( very clever) but I think if you come into a business ( this is what it is) and you take on the role of the leader (CEO) and make the big calls! In we which he did very early on and power to him by the way. However if it does not work out especially the coaching role ( Des needed to be replaced but the big question was by who?) well the CEO needs to take the responsibility for it. The question to this is how long does it take to determine whether the coach is a failure or success? I think if we don’t make the 8 than it is a big fail and Mestrov needs to be held to account. This does not seem an unreasonable opinion to me but if you or others choose to disagree… that’s cool. Anyway suggesting an office girl as opposed to an office boy or other determination may offend and appear not progressive enough mate 😂

#woke up! or shut up!

We agree that everybody is accountable, and should be judged on their decisions ... what we disagree on ... is 11 weeks into a 3 year appointment a reasonable time to be storming the parapets?

Is the appointment of a coach the only decision that a CEO should be judged on ?..

Should all 9 CEO's of the clubs that don't make the 8 this year also get the sack ?

We agree that everybody is accountable, and should be judged on their decisions ... what we disagree on ... is 11 weeks into a 3 year appointment a reasonable time to be storming the parapets?

Is the appointment of a coach the only decision that a CEO should be judged on ?..

Should all 9 CEO's of the clubs that don't make the 8 this year also get the sack ?
Here are my answers mate: ( these are just subjective opinions not life or death! btw my opinion like most of them on here have zero implications in the real world ) As a further disclaimer my opinion is biased like most here because my team is underperforming and I don’t like it) lastly opinions don’t need to make sense to others especially footy ones. I do find some of the overall political commentary that gets bounced around here worthy of some more serious critique at times though.

Q1. I think it’s reasonable to start asking Questions considering the massive investment and coaching restructuring that has occurred. Maybe some of the big calls made by Mestrov we’re made a little to early in his tenure.
Q2. I think the call on the coach and more importantly the replacement is by far the biggest one the role can make. It directly impacts performance on the field which creates the platform to do everything else. e.g. if your team is underperforming it’s makes it harder to find sponsors and increase membership etc. So yes this decision implies the most causality.
Q3. No! not all the clubs have done all the rapid restructuring we have done.

Here are my answers mate: ( these are just subjective opinions not life or death! btw my opinion like most of them on here have zero implications in the real world ) As a further disclaimer my opinion is biased like most here because my team is underperforming and I don’t like it) lastly opinions don’t need to make sense to others especially footy ones. I do find some of the overall political commentary that gets bounced around here worthy of some more serious critique at times though.

Q1. I think it’s reasonable to start asking Questions considering the massive investment and coaching restructuring that has occurred. Maybe some of the big calls made by Mestrov we’re made a little to early in his tenure.
Q2. I think the call on the coach and more importantly the replacement is by far the biggest one the role can make. It directly impacts performance on the field which creates the platform to do everything else. e.g. if your team is underperforming it’s makes it harder to find sponsors and increase membership etc. So yes this decision implies the most causality.
Q3. No! not all the clubs have done all the rapid restructuring we have done.

Massive investment
Rapid restructuring
Big calls

You need to take some deep breaths ... we replaced an underachieving coach.

Something 3/4 clubs do every year.

Where is this massive investment you speak of?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8