New Winger - Jason Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Something that no defensive structure will fix is if your wingers are unable to compete with the high ball that leads to cheap tries .
We can put the blame on structures but when it comes to dropped balls and bad passes and missed one on one tackles its purely individual player performance.
This is the question that puts things in perspective
Which team would Hoppa ,Harper, Funa , Garrick , Jorge would break into another NRL team and in place of which player ?
and which one that is a contender like the Rabitts , Raiders , Roosters and Panthers ?
They would be hard pressed to break into any other NRL team .
You have got to remember that half those players would not have got a run if we didn’t have all the injuries we had. They were only recruited as backup!
Just sayin’

Something that no defensive structure will fix is if your wingers are unable to compete with the high ball that leads to cheap tries .
We can put the blame on structures but when it comes to dropped balls and bad passes and missed one on one tackles its purely individual player performance.
This is the question that puts things in perspective
Which team would Hoppa ,Harper, Funa , Garrick , Jorge would break into another NRL team and in place of which player ?
and which one that is a contender like the Rabitts , Raiders , Roosters and Panthers ?
They would be hard pressed to break into any other NRL team .

No argument there mate, but not every team kicks high to get their tries. We have let in plenty out wide this year even from comparatively weak opposition on both sides of the field simply because our up and in defence has been out flanked by good passing or a good short grubber to the corner.

You have got to remember that half those players would not have got a run if we didn’t have all the injuries we had. They were only recruited as backup!
Just sayin’
We need to improve the quality of our back up players and we can

No argument there mate, but not every team kicks high to get their tries. We have let in plenty out wide this year even from comparatively weak opposition on both sides of the field simply because our up and in defence has been out flanked by good passing or a good short grubber to the corner.
You also make valid points as well
So we need to improve both our defensive structure and our top 30 player roster

Fair assessment Holden.

I mean he's no world beater but I think circumstances have made him look worse than he is.

There are definitely better wingers out there than Reuben Garrick. But I think especially this year he was more a victim of how the team played than because his game has gone backwards.

Added to the fact that he only scored 4 tries this year compared to 16 in 2019 and that his goal kicking was less accurate this year, and he's copped an absolute hammering from the fans. But even Addo-Carr or Johnston would have struggled to score tries with how we played in 2020, especially playing outside of two ball hogs in Siro and Suli.

Wingers are usually the easiest targets for criticism when a team leaks a lot of tries. But more often than not, they usually aren't the main culprit.

There are definitely better wingers out there than Reuben Garrick. But I think especially this year he was more a victim of how the team played than because his game has gone backwards.

Added to the fact that he only scored 4 tries this year compared to 16 in 2019 and that his goal kicking was less accurate this year, and he's copped an absolute hammering from the fans. But even Addo-Carr or Johnston would have struggled to score tries with how we played in 2020, especially playing outside of two ball hogs in Siro and Suli.

Wingers are usually the easiest targets for criticism when a team leaks a lot of tries. But more often than not, they usually aren't the main culprit.
I disagree with your theory that quality wingers dont stand out playing with under performing teams . One of many examples is David Nofoaluma whos team ended up on the same points on the comp table as us . Nofoaluma has been their best and most consistent performer

Maybe the structures have to change for it to work but we lack what most other teams have on their wings , height , or if not height the ability to both jump to catch a ball to score or to compete with the opposition winger to stop them from doing the same thing.

Neither Tafua , Garrick or Funa offer that very well.

Yeah and when he still lets in more tries than he scores because our defensive structure invites tries out wide ... what then?

The first time he rushes up and in and the opposition score out wide, just like with Jorge, just like with Reubs and any other wingers we have, he'll get crucified for it. And he'll get crucified for it every time it happens after that.

We can't always rely on having someone like Turbo at fullback to cover up the mess.
We need to have a sliding defence like most teams haha Des didn't get the memo

There are definitely better wingers out there than Reuben Garrick. But I think especially this year he was more a victim of how the team played than because his game has gone backwards
Agree. Garrick can finish when there is opportunity. I can only remember him bombing one try in the last two years - 2020 Rd 16 v Storm (maybe there are others?). Manly were pathetic most of the year. This especially manifested in an ineffectual backline unable to score points. Some other teams also played poorly, but their best games were better than ours, and they were able to score points out wide. In fact, 5 of the top 11 try scorers (all backs) were from teams outside the eight!

Is Saab the answer though. Because when it comes down to it he'll be playing the same up and in defence that screws with all of our wingers ... and when he lets in 2, 3 or 4 tries per game as a result people are going to turn on him like we've tended to turn on Reubes and Jorge.

I don't necessarily think that its poor defence from any of our wingers that is the biggest problem. Its the defensive structure of the team that often see's huge gaps left out wide that opposition teams exploit time and time again.

And time and time again our wingers get the blame when in reality they are not the actual cause or the actual problem.

Changing the wingers but keeping the same defensive structure is like continually changing the light bulb in a room because they keep blowing and expecting it to be better than the last when the real problem is the wiring. Seriously, you could put Josh Addo-Carr and Alex Johnston on our wings and while both would be a big attacking improvement, with our defensive structure they would still let in as many or more than they scored themselves.

Stop it!!!!!! You are making too much sense.

He was very bad v the warriors.
re Funa he’s a back up 1 and Centre only imo. Looks lost on the wing.
I hope I’m wrong but I feel next year (if he comes) Saab will be in for just as much criticism on this board as the other outside backs. He’s played hardly any top grade at all and from what I’ve seen hasn’t set the world on fire. He is young tho and I like the height. Haven’t seen his speed yet. I hope he comes and does well.

He was very bad v the warriors.
re Funa he’s a back up 1 and Centre only imo. Looks lost on the wing.
I hope I’m wrong but I feel next year (if he comes) Saab will be in for just as much criticism on this board as the other outside backs. He’s played hardly any top grade at all and from what I’ve seen hasn’t set the world on fire. He is young tho and I like the height. Haven’t seen his speed yet. I hope he comes and does well.

I'd rather see Funa on the wing than Brad Parker. If Suli is still out as expected for the opening rounds in 2021 and Walks is back in the centres with either Foran or Schuster at 5/8, I'd expect Parker to play the other centre spot before Funa who would probably be on the left wing.

Are we actually getting Saab or are we keeping Garrick? From what I have been hearing, Griffin at St Merge has put the kybosh on the swap.

I'd rather see Funa on the wing than Brad Parker. If Suli is still out as expected for the opening rounds in 2021 and Walks is back in the centres with either Foran or Schuster at 5/8, I'd expect Parker to play the other centre spot before Funa who would probably be on the left wing.

Are we actually getting Saab or are we keeping Garrick? From what I have been hearing, Griffin at St Merge has put the kybosh on the swap.
Interesting few months ahead.Given they’ve signed Foran,whether to play 5/8 or 9,it guarantees Walker is playing centre.No point putting him there and over Foran,even if you think Schuster should be.So depending on Suli’s recovery,I wonder if an outside back,Walker,Parker etc is on the way out of the club?

I've kiboshed before.. and ill kibosh again!

I agree funa left wing but Parker might be ousted by Harper who is a much better player. If Des plays walker at left center then Bradley will miss out and harper who is taking sulis spot atm is a right center. Nah mean

Garrick suffered from 2nd year syndrome ... if it don't kill you .... you come back better and stronger ...

And his poor kicking is simply a result of dumbarrse syndrome ... he can strike the ball as well as anyone ... but I have tried to educate you neandethals before ... he fell foul to Tiger Woods disease and started to tinker with his set-up ... the result being that this year he was addressing the ball far to straight on, at about 30 degrees ..... watch the replays ..... to kick straight with around the corner technique you need to address the ball at about 45 degrees in order to swing your leg and hip in the correct arc .... he is not missing by poor contact ... he is missing by not getting the line right ....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4