Ruck rules change to stop wrestling in tackles

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagles2nv

DESpicable Manly
Rules have been changed for 2015 to stop the wrestling that was occurring to slow the play the ball.

Refs are instructed to call held earlier and players must release quickly or be penalised.

I can see the number of penalites sky rocketing until the players adjust. This rule will work well for teams like Warriors and Tigpies, but Wabbits, Dogs and Storm are going to hate it

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ys-wayne-bennett/story-fnp0lyn3-1227191251937

Last edited:
Hopefully the refs will limit walking off the mark (Inglis ya tool) on the basis all defensive players have to release the tackled player quicker.

Are there odds about how quickly murdoch aligned media will complain about it being 'touch' footy?

S'pose it helped wests in 2005.

It's nice to have a Forum item relating to the game rather than speculation about player movement.
This rule is common sense, and it is how RL used to be played. I hope it is enforced. It will make attacking much easier, and getting back 10 metres in defence very difficult. That will encourage dummy half scooting, which is not ideal. When this happens, wait for the suggestion of a further rule change that if the dummy half is caught in possession then he has to hand over the ball to the opposition. It was an old rule that seemed to work.

about time there were efforts to clean up the wrestle, it is an absolute blight on our great game. Dear Michael Maguire and Craig Bellamy, you're wrestling crap is on the way out, tough luck.

Anything that gets rid of the wrestlemania that has marred recent seasons is a good thing. I would love to see a crack down as well on the walking off the mark at the play the ball too.

Anything that gets rid of the wrestlemania that has marred recent seasons is a good thing. I would love to see a crack down as well on the walking off the mark at the play the ball too.

Agree - as someone said above, Greg Inglis is the worst offender. hey greg, take another 3 metres before you play the ball, its all good.

This rule change is a disaster. It will result in dummy half running for 5 tackles followed by a kick. It will be little more than touch football and will be just like Super League was in the late 90's, which is unsurprising because Bennett was the architect of those rules.

I hate the wrestle as much as anybody, but this is absolutely NOT the answer. A good start would be to:
1. Reduce the number of interchanges to no more than 5 and bring back fatigue as a factor.
2. Once a player has been interchanged they are off for the game unless it is a result of foul play.
3. If the dummy half is tackled with the ball then it's a handover.

Mark my words, this rule change will destroy the game as a spectacle.

This rule change is a disaster. It will result in dummy half running for 5 tackles followed by a kick. It will be little more than touch football and will be just like Super League was in the late 90's, which is unsurprising because Bennett was the architect of those rules.

I hate the wrestle as much as anybody, but this is absolutely NOT the answer. A good start would be to:
1. Reduce the number of interchanges to no more than 5 and bring back fatigue as a factor.
2. Once a player has been interchanged they are off for the game unless it is a result of foul play.
3. If the dummy half is tackled with the ball then it's a handover.

Mark my words, this rule change will destroy the game as a spectacle.

I guess the dummy half rule would combat constant dummy half running. I like that dummy half rule as it also give the defence a chance to get back. The only edit I would make is that it doesnt apply inside the opposition 10 metre.

As mentioned in this thread already, the dummy half running will be a hot topic by round 6.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8