Round 5 games discussion (spoilers inside)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS (34)
Tries: Ben Hornby, Dean Young, Brett Morris (2), Beau Scott, Jason Nightingale
Conversions: Jamie Soward (5/6)

BRISBANE BRONCOS (16)

Tries: Andrew McCullough, Josh Hoffman, Dale Copley
Conversions: Peter Wallace (2/3)

GOLD COAST TITANS (20)

Tries: Greg Bird, Ashley Harrison, Joseph Tomane
Conversions: Mat Rogers (2/3)
Penalty Goals: Mat Rogers (2/2)

MELBOURNE STORM (16)
Tries: Anthony Quinn (3)
Conversions: Cameron Smith (2/3)

so Dragons beat the Bronx but not really that impressive in doing so imo
and woohoo the Purple knobs got beat by the Tits, Storm led at halftime 16 -4 and the Titans scored 16 unanswered points

I am thoroughly enjoying being up here to observe the hand wringing in Brisbane over the Broncos' fortunes.  They have everything going in their favour and yet they're bottom.  Beautiful. 

Thanks foir the updates B_e. As usual nrl.com is running like a complete dog and not showing the results in either FF or IE. At least I now know my tipping is up to its usual standard.

Not sure why you're so happy with the Melbourne result.

A. We've got Melbourne next week coming off a loss. Awesome.
B. We'll be in a battle with the Titans for a Top 8/Top 4 birth.

Melbourne copped some rough calls tonight. Very, very dodgy officiating.

Titans game just another example of the team that gets a run of penalties being hard to hold out. I think they got 5 or 6 penalties in a row in the second half. Couldn't happen to a nicer side in Melbourne though.

Broncos don't look to have much going for them at the moment, with all their injuries they really are low on impact. Pity we don't have them in the next month, it's almost a guaranteed 2 points.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
LOL @ Silly Slater gettin run over by Tomane
HAHAHHAHA,I loved watching that.Big Tomane running over the top of Slater hahahah Suck s**t slater.

Volley link said:
Not sure why you're so happy with the Melbourne result.

A. We've got Melbourne next week coming off a loss. Awesome.
B. We'll be in a battle with the Titans for a Top 8/Top 4 birth.

Melbourne copped some rough calls tonight. Very, very dodgy officiating.

anytime Melb lose I'm Happy

and

about time they copped some of the bad calls

I'm not concerned about Melbourne being harder for us because they are coming off a loss. They almost always aim up each week regardless. They are very beatable.They do have an aura, but don't forget until they beat us in that semi last year they were not the popular pick to win last year. Once again they have lost players. I doubt our blokes will be too fazed by having to play them. I think 2 losses in a row would be a very good look for them. I definitely like to see them lose as much as possible, hopefully with more and more controversial reffing so Bellamy loses his cool and the players get upset. Then a couple of major injuries to Smith & Slater would round off my hopes for Storm this year.

I think the poor refereeing this year is a direct result of having the two ref system. It's not as if the game has 16 adequate refs.  With one ref on the field you got one set of dodgy calls, now with two ref, you get two sets of dodgy calls.  Having two of them on the park doesn't translate into having twice the good, if they're both just ordinary.  I'd like to revert to the video ref having a call into forward passes.  Forget about the silly strip calls of the past, but forward passes are a real blight.  And surely last night there should have been a stop watch put on Smith's kick.  If it comes about he was under the forty second rule, then what?  Perhaps they could put a stop watch on the big screen to put added pressure on the kicker.......and get it right.    

DSM5 link said:
I'd like to revert to the video ref having a call into forward passes. 

Too hard to get it right and would just open an old can of worms. They used to be able to rule on forward passes, but it was equally as controversial because there is no way of being 100% accurate, that's why they decided to take it out of the hands of the video ref. It's easy when the forward pass is like the one that Parra threw against us when everyone except the 4 nuffies paid to get it right could see it, but how do you rule on a pass that might be 50mm forward ? The camera angles are very rarely exactly side on to the pass, so you need to rely on interpretation by the video ref, which in my opinion is just asking for trouble. Leave it in the hands of the on field refs and just pray that at least one of them has their eyes open. 

It's very dissapointing I find to see that games are won (or lost) on the decisions of the officials at crucial times of the game, in particular the period 41-60 Minute of some games......as I have noticed on many ocasions this year teams seem to get a "run" of penalties go their way and it can change the face of the game, it happend again last night.

I hope that doesn't happen in the finals series at the end of the year but I sense it will!!

It seems these days that a penalty bringing the attacking side into the others 40 that a try seems to be inevitable.  I guess it's the speed and size of the outside backs that's changed.   

It's all about evening up the penalty count, if a side gets a heap of penalties in the 1st half you're almost guaranteed the the other side will get most of the penalties in the 2nd half, usually with 1 or 2 blunders thrown in.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2