Rookie predictions 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Hard to go past young Hoppa - the kid has it all but won't find it as easy as the younger grades, so will be pushed mentally and physically at the top level, but has Massive natural ability.

Garrick is being touted a suprise packet with plenty of tackle breaking ability, his defence will decide his 2019 and long term NRL career.

Olakau 'Atu is a huge backrower that started his footy career later than most.
Has power and speed and a great offload carrying the ball like a tennis ball.
Like a YOUNG Mateo has that unpredictable style of play on the edges.
Injured all 2018 which was unlucky so will be interesting to see where he is at.

What other rookies can you see shine and what attributes do they bring ??

I have high hopes for the two you mentioned in Olakau 'Atu and Hoppa. Garrick continues to feature heavily in training pics and his name gets dropped in a lot of interviews so I am suspecting he may get a shot in round 1 and Cust Metcalfe and Funa could all step up over time imo.

That said I have had high hopes for players before in Stromquist, Pratt, Garner, Knight, Groom just like I had with Snake, Turbo, Buhrer, Jake, DCE and Foran

Lets enjoy the ride and see who breaks through, fingers crossed out of the above 2-3 become meaningful firstgraders and 1 a superstar

2019 Albert Hoppa
2020 Josh Schuster (if we can hold onto him)

It will be interesting to see the five eighth challenge in 2019. If Elgey fails will it be Cust or Metcalfe.
Garrick and Funa...we need speed

And then there's Fainu. Will he displace Korisau?

And cant help myself I'm afraid. But later in the year will Anderson get a run?

So, you thought 'Turbo' Tommy Trbojevic was quick?

Wait to you see young centre Reuben Garrick in full flight - he's turbo on high octane fuel.

Trbojevic has been the club's speed king for years but young Garrick, an off-season recruit from the Dragons, just about has him covered over 100m.

REVEALED: Des Hasler's to-do list as Manly Sea Eagles coach

The modest teenager was reluctant to place himself ahead of the star fullback, but did tell Sporting News: "I back my speed…I guess it's one of my main assets."

"We have GPS trackers and there's a lot of pace here.

"Cherry (Daly Cherry-Evans) is pretty quick over 30m or so and then there's Tommy.

"That's the top couple and I'm in there somewhere. Maybe we need a race to sort it out."

But Trbojevic doesn't need a race to convince him who's the fastest gun in the north.

He said: "Reuben's probably got me covered. He moves really well.

"I'd back him over 100m…I'm getting too old."

Garrick's hopes of cracking it for a starting position at right centre could well rely on the outcome of Dylan Walker's court case.

Walker returns to court this week to face assault charges following an alleged altercation with his partner in December.

He faces a hefty suspension or deregistration if found guilty.

There is a strong rumour the Sea Eagles are ready to pounce on a centre/winger from an NRL club should Walker be outed.

Or go with the untried Garrick.

"I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I've got some big trials coming up and it's going to be very competitive for a spot," Garrick said.

"Doors were closing at the Dragons and I thought Manly was a good fit and it would be a massive achievement if I could make first grade here.

"It's something I've longed dreamed about."

Manly take on Cronulla in a trial at Southern Cross Group Stadium on Saturday night.

So, you thought 'Turbo' Tommy Trbojevic was quick?

Wait to you see young centre Reuben Garrick in full flight - he's turbo on high octane fuel.

Trbojevic has been the club's speed king for years but young Garrick, an off-season recruit from the Dragons, just about has him covered over 100m.

REVEALED: Des Hasler's to-do list as Manly Sea Eagles coach

The modest teenager was reluctant to place himself ahead of the star fullback, but did tell Sporting News: "I back my speed…I guess it's one of my main assets."

"We have GPS trackers and there's a lot of pace here.

"Cherry (Daly Cherry-Evans) is pretty quick over 30m or so and then there's Tommy.

"That's the top couple and I'm in there somewhere. Maybe we need a race to sort it out."

But Trbojevic doesn't need a race to convince him who's the fastest gun in the north.

He said: "Reuben's probably got me covered. He moves really well.

"I'd back him over 100m…I'm getting too old."

Garrick's hopes of cracking it for a starting position at right centre could well rely on the outcome of Dylan Walker's court case.

Walker returns to court this week to face assault charges following an alleged altercation with his partner in December.

He faces a hefty suspension or deregistration if found guilty.

There is a strong rumour the Sea Eagles are ready to pounce on a centre/winger from an NRL club should Walker be outed.

Or go with the untried Garrick.

"I don't want to get too far ahead of myself. I've got some big trials coming up and it's going to be very competitive for a spot," Garrick said.

"Doors were closing at the Dragons and I thought Manly was a good fit and it would be a massive achievement if I could make first grade here.

"It's something I've longed dreamed about."

Manly take on Cronulla in a trial at Southern Cross Group Stadium on Saturday night.

The more speed we have the more damage we can do to the opposition and Garrick sounds like a breath of fresh air to our 2019 season
Elliott and young Hoppa can motor as well .

I find backs with mediocre speed very underwhelming . Frustrating seeing them get run around in defence and being run down and failing to convert breaks into tries

I am not discounting defence at all and I am confident under Des we wont put up with the 2018 turnstyle back line rubbish .
images.jpg

This story has more holes in it than Manly's 2018 defence.First it says: Wait to you see young centre Reuben Garrick in full flight - he's turbo on high octane fuel.

Then it clarifies this high-octane hyperbole:

Trbojevic has been the club's speed king for years but young Garrick just about has him covered over 100m.

So now the author says Turbo and him are virtually equal in speed. Which is it? Is he on high octane or standard Turbo fuel?

Our young hooker Fainu has the potential to provide the passing,kicking and organising game that we have been crying out for for quite a while.

Vigorous tackles, effort and darts from dummy half are fine and API plays above his weight but the hookers that make a difference ( smith , Cook , Hodgson ) have all the skills and their halves capitalise on it.

Last year we had DCE doing all the kicking and organising and with no real five eight we needed a hooker to provide other options.
With Green helping to call the shots in 2017 the lack of an organiser at 9 did not hurt us as badly.

Fainu has the skills to be that player we need . I think he’ll be the main man by 2020.

Last edited:
Hard to go past young Hoppa - the kid has it all but won't find it as easy as the younger grades, so will be pushed mentally and physically at the top level, but has Massive natural ability.

Garrick is being touted a suprise packet with plenty of tackle breaking ability, his defence will decide his 2019 and long term NRL career.

Injured all 2018 which was unlucky so will be interesting to see where he is at.

Three super candidates there mate.

Im going to jump on the Anderson band wagon.
I think in a well coached side with plenty of go forward he will really shine on a wing.

I’m going with Corey Waddell
Good chance he will get a run then progress
With players like Winterstein Golweski and injury plagued Sironen in the squad most likely in front of him but I’m thinking he get his chance and won’t look back

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8