RIP Damien Lovelock

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sad to hear that avid Manly fan Damo died. He was usually on the brookie hill in his 50s big eagle jersey.

A true beaches legend and great front man for the Rifles.

Just saw this wheel
Very sad
Too late to let you know that Simon marney just had an hour special where he had Damo on the ABC for an hour interview together from 2007

He lived an amazing life
Still Listen to the celebrant rifles today on my playlists

Wasn't sure if he was a Manly fan or not, I knew he loved his soccer. Sad news, Rifles were on my playlist in the late 80's, good band.

Was shocked to hear this news, hadn't heard a peep about him being ill so it seems very sudden indeed.

I saw him on the hill at Brookie a few times at Manly games & I remember when the JV with Norths happened, the Rifles official website had "RIP Manly Sea Eagles 1947-2000" on it until the JV dissolved.

He was a class front man & as a band the Rifles were a force of nature. I saw them as recently as April last year at Narrabeen RSL & they were still carving it up.

Rest in peace you legend Damo.

Very sad to hear. Definitely in my must see live bands in the 80’s.
His mother’s words of wisdom are definitely words to live by.
He instead relied on his late mother's advice: "Speak your own mind, absorb the beating, and carry on.

Legend. Saw them play in the 80s at the old Manly Hotel opposite the wharf before it got pulled down. Christie Amphlett was always in the audience at that place as she only lived a couple of blocks away. Good times.

2B075ABE-DB7B-44A2-8399-FDEE98CC9DC3.png

image.jpeg

Goodbye wave to rock legend

Bryn Kay

image.ashx

Musicians Jeff Duff, Rob Younger and Dave Kettley (L to R) were in attendance along with Ben Brown (below) who took part in the paddle-out. Inset: Damien Lovelock. Main pictures: Julian Andrews.

image.ashx

image.ashx

HE will be remembered as a charismatic rock legend whose friendships extended to people of all walks of life.

That was certainly evident on Saturday when hundreds of people farewelled Damien Lovelock at Newport Beach.

A celebration of life tribute saw about 80 people take part in a paddle-out to honour the Celibate Rifles frontman, who died earlier this month following a battle with cancer. He was 65. About 400 people attended the tribute, which also included fond memories being told of Lovelock.

“It was an incredible mixture of people (who attended), from the music world, the radio and television world, the yoga world and the surfing world,” friend and filmmaker Jack McCoy said.

“It was a celebration of his life and there were a couple of tear-jerking stories that choked everybody up. But those stories were far outweighed by the laughs people had, as people shared their experiences with Damien.”

As part of the paddle-out, a makeshift gateway — organised by surfing identity Nick Carroll — featured some of Lovelock’s swimming belongings. Mr McCoy said it was a “beautiful day” and there was a moment during the paddle-out that suggested Lovelock was at the celebration in spirit.

It occurred when, despite the calm conditions, a six-foot high wave unexpectedly crashed through the circle of surfers.

“This one wave came out of nowhere... it was only one wave,” he said.

“It took them (the surfers) down after the wave broke about 20ft behind them.

“When it came in I said: ‘That’s Damien... there’s our boy’.”

Lovelock — who along with being a famed Aussie musician — was also known for being a soccer analyst on SBS as well as a popular yoga teacher on the peninsula.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7