Rex's 1980 end of season MW Summary

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I that was the game where we were missing Eadie,Thompson,Martin,Gray,Dorahy & Boyd for the second week. Beat Newtown the week before in a close one.

Thanks for mentioning the Newtown game. I can remember a bit more around what happened now. Most of those missing Manly players were in the Kangaroos team in NZ, except Eadie who got banned from all Manly games while the NZ tour was on, just 'cos he refused to go due to family or business reasons. Proof that Arko didn't yet run everything!

That year was a false dawn for Manly, we signed the 3 Wests players, Dorahy, Boyd and Brown and won the pre-season final against Balmain 21-12 and we were hot favourites to win the comp. If I remember we won our first 3 games and that just reduced our odds further and by mid season we were 8-3 and well in the top 5 and the 2nd half of the season was a disaster and we crumbled and missed out on the finals finished off by the Sharks 35-12 on one of those windy days at Cronulla. The team bounced back in the next few seasons and made some grand finals and it was the end of our great team from the 70's. They were great days!!

That year was a false dawn for Manly, we signed the 3 Wests players, Dorahy, Boyd and Brown and won the pre-season final against Balmain 21-12 and we were hot favourites to win the comp. If I remember we won our first 3 games and that just reduced our odds further and by mid season we were 8-3 and well in the top 5 and the 2nd half of the season was a disaster and we crumbled and missed out on the finals finished off by the Sharks 35-12 on one of those windy days at Cronulla. The team bounced back in the next few seasons and made some grand finals and it was the end of our great team from the 70's. They were great days!!

I remember the last game of 1979 at Brooke vs Canterbury. We were 7th and no hope for the finals thanks rotten luck mid year with injuries. By the time Canterbury arrived at Brookie they had been called 'The Entertainers' and the media's new darlings. They needed to win to keep a top 5 spot. But Manly flogged them scoring 7 tries. The Dogs were crying their season was over. But the next day the Dogs still got into the top 5 as Balmain got upset by Souths by 12-11 and that saved the Dogs and they went on to the grand final from 5th spot. Lucky Dogs. I remember Tom Mooney on tv in the bath in the Manly sheds saying "Those teams are all lucky Manly aren't in the finals. No one would have touched us.". He was right. Manly had just flogged a 1979 grand final team.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...22/manly-warringah-vs-canterbury/summary.html

Fullback 1. Graham Eadie 1. Stan Cutler
Wing 2. Tom Mooney 2. Chris Anderson
Centre 3. Michael Blake 3. Greg Brentnall
Centre 4. Russel Gartner 4. Peter Mortimer
Wing 5. Steve Martin 5. Steve Gearin

Five-Eighth 6. Alan Thompson 6. Garry Hughes
Halfback 7. John Gibbs 7. Steve Mortimer

Lock 8. Paul Vautin 13. Mark Hughes
Second Row 9. Bruce Walker 12. Steve Folkes
Second Row 10. Stephen Knight 10. Graeme Hughes
Front Row 11. Ian Thomson 11. Peter Smith
Hooker 9. Max Krilich (c) 9. George Peponis (c)
Front Row 13. Steve Cray 8. Greg Cook

Last edited:
I remember the last game of 1979 at Brooke vs Canterbury. We were 7th and no hope for the finals thanks rotten luck mid year with injuries. By the time Canterbury arrived at Brookie they had been called 'The Entertainers' and the media's new darlings. They needed to win to keep a top 5 spot. But Manly flogged them scoring 7 tries. The Dogs were crying their season was over. But the next day the Dogs still got into the top 5 as Balmain got upset by Souths by 12-11 and that saved the Dogs and they went on to the grand final from 5th spot. Lucky Dogs. I remember Tom Mooney on tv in the bath in the Manly sheds saying "Those teams are all lucky Manly aren't in the finals. No one would have touched us.". He was right. Manly had just flogged a 1979 grand final team.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/s...22/manly-warringah-vs-canterbury/summary.html

Fullback 1. Graham Eadie 1. Stan Cutler
Wing 2. Tom Mooney 2. Chris Anderson
Centre 3. Michael Blake 3. Greg Brentnall
Centre 4. Russel Gartner 4. Peter Mortimer
Wing 5. Steve Martin 5. Steve Gearin

Five-Eighth 6. Alan Thompson 6. Garry Hughes
Halfback 7. John Gibbs 7. Steve Mortimer

Lock 8. Paul Vautin 13. Mark Hughes
Second Row 9. Bruce Walker 12. Steve Folkes
Second Row 10. Stephen Knight 10. Graeme Hughes
Front Row 11. Ian Thomson 11. Peter Smith
Hooker 9. Max Krilich (c) 9. George Peponis (c)
Front Row 13. Steve Cray 8. Greg Cook
I was at that game and that win was merely a consolation for Manly after a torrid defence of our premiership, season 1979 never really got going for Manly and we were never really in contention to win the comp and with 3 games left, telling defeats at Wests 21-13 and Cronulla 26-7 put paid to our chances. The team had a bit of a premiership hangover and seven of our guys were backing up from the Kangaroo tour. 1979 was also the year the southern stand at Brookvale was opened, they were great days indeed!

I was at that game and that win was merely a consolation for Manly after a torrid defence of our premiership, season 1979 never really got going for Manly and we were never really in contention to win the comp and with 3 games left, telling defeats at Wests 21-13 and Cronulla 26-7 put paid to our chances. The team had a bit of a premiership hangover and seven of our guys were backing up from the Kangaroo tour. 1979 was also the year the southern stand at Brookvale was opened, they were great days indeed!
They were indeed shot after the 78 finals plus the kangaroo tour.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6