*revived thread* Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

HEAR that? It's called silence. It's the absence of the rugby league season.

Is it not glorious? To be free of the stifling tedium of blanket coverage, the grinding banality of match commentary, the sub-trivial parish pump gossip and news of yet another player's off-field atrocity. The silence of January is golden.
The featureless white noise of the mate-against-mate, meathead-against-meathead cavalcade is comfortably distant; just a grim prospect. Like root canal treatment.
Please don't misunderstand me - I don't dislike rugby league. That requires too much of the effort which is better directed toward the herculean task of ignoring it.
It would also mean trying to take it seriously and rugby league already takes itself far too seriously.
For all the reverberating, unintentionally self-parodying hyperbole, rugby league remains, as ever it will, the blustering short man of sport. Beyond our eastern cities and one in New Zealand, some grimy towns in England's north and a few rustic French villages, rugby league does not exist. This code is a loud provincial oaf let loose upon the big city - obnoxious, flatulent and prone to publicly displaying its genitals. Please - I implore you - don't use rugby league in the same sentence as "World Cup" unless you wish to be battered by force 10 gales of laughter. Aside from its global dwarfism, its case is hindered by shoddy pretence. By all means recruit to your side a boofhead who once missed his flight and had to spend the night in Honolulu. Stick him in a kitsch kit and call him a Tomahawk, but do at least smirk knowingly when you pretend he represents the United States.
Rugby league is a platform for flogging industrial beer. It's a hot air container that temporarily inflates the flaccid careers of club circuit entertainers and their forgotten anthems. Try time? No. Try hard time.
Then there is the spectacle itself - 26 post-adolescents with hideously engorged musculature dressed each week in different livery, yet each of which somehow resembles a beverage can. These run in strict linear patterns until a mistake is made and one lot falls over the other's line. For this points are awarded.
Rugby league is painfully contrived. It is prima facie absurd. Knock a fellow down then permit him up to play the ball. Repeat several times until ball is kicked away. No sight in competitive sport is more abject than the flagrant non-aggression pact that is a rugby league scrum.
No, I don't dislike rugby league, though if I cared to I could manage to find offensive the fetish made of the game's (selective) history. How did the Johnny Come Comparatively Lately code wrest popularity from its parent? By inherent superiority? Crowd-pleasingly open play? Or the fact that for five seasons it was the only game in town?
The NSW and Queensland rugby unions suspended senior competition during World War I. Rugby league did not. When Balmain played Glebe in the 1915 grand final, young men were being sacrificed at Gallipoli. The Queensland Rugby Union was unable to reform until 1929.
By no means do I impugn those who played on or to suggest that many thousands have not worn both khaki and club colours. But it does strike me as a slightly anomalous note when the code wraps itself in the flag and has the Last Post played at its Anzac Day Test.
Merely ridiculous is the gladiatorial imagery with which rugby league is inevitably promoted. The big hits, the on-field biff that officials piously condemn, but actually exult in. Again the short man aspect is the fore. If, like me, you like to watch mixed martial arts - which is hysterically condemned despite strictly enforced rules of engagement - the spectacle of artless behemoths running into each other is depressing in the extreme.
Perhaps I do dislike rugby league, but I don't begrudge its right to exist, which is more than can be said of its attitude toward everyone else. There are still in rugby league not a few resentful rednecks who see an Australian failure in rugby or soccer as "good for our game" and the encroachment of Australian rules on its traditional turf as a crisis surpassing that of refugee boats.
Less really can be more.
In rugby league's case, much less.
Paul Pottinger is Deputy Editor of Carsguide. His heretical views in no way reflect those of The Daily Telegraph, which knows that rugby league is the greatest game in the world. Miranda Devine returns next week.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/opinion/rugby-league-is-not-a-sport-its-an-atrocity/story-e6frezz0-1226236785563

RE: Rugby league is not a sport, it's an atrocity

Sounds like Paul does'nt like to see people enjoying themselves. Daily Telegraph though, so they probably just made him up.

Written to get a reaction, the DT must be having a low traffic week for their websites comments section.

If Paul wanted more credibility he should not have admitted to his love of mixed martial arts - a sport which after a few kicks & punches are thrown usually ends up with 2 sweaty guys wrestling each other on the floor for a couple of minutes.

What a piece of crap, I can't believe the DT would even waste the ink i printing that - obviously just a ploy to liven up the masses.

This is what the DT resorts to when they're not kicking the **** out of us.

Sounds like the work experience kid got his hands on the keyboard while the real journalists were away taking a holiday! Rugby league is staring down the battle of a 1.3 billion tv deal! It wouldn't generate that income If nobody was watching it!! The daily telegraph ain't going to change! Drama in rugby league sells papers.... It's all a bit of fun providing their not talking about the sea eagles!! The news of the world scandal showed up journalists for they really are!

Brookie4eva said:
ThIndirectly they are.is is what the DT resorts to when they're not kicking the s**t out of us.

Indirectly they are. However he misses the main point about running, jumping and swimming: they are very healthy activities. Which reminds me why the Mexican Olympic team usually performs so poorly... it is because anyone from that country who is really good at running, jumping or swimming is already in the United States.

I actually enjoyed the article.

Dont agree with it, but I chose to read it.

The writer has nfi about leagues history ie in wars(if he wants to talk about union players going to war, what about the French? Most French RL teams were illegal due to many players fighting in the French resistance during ww2) league growth areas (I could list half a dozen countries where leagues growing)

This guy is obviously aiming to get a job negotiating the next TV deal. Of course it doesn't really matter whether he sits on the Fox side or the NRL side because the objective of both parties is to ensure that News (the publisher of this drivel) pays as little as possible.

Glorified car salesman. I believe "Pottinger" was the Irish patron saint of excessive masturbation.

That was in the Courier Mail today, I almost chocked on my toasted sandwich when I read it!!

You can tell by the "High Brow" choice of words that this guy is well and truly camped on the Union side. I would suspect he is bitter that Australia lost interest in the "Kick and Clap" snooze fest after the small bit of attention it drew during the build up to the 2001 Rugby World Cup.
Lets face it you could make any sport sound like it is moronic if you break it down to what it actually involves, I mean soccer would win the award for most caveman like game, Kick an inflated latex bladder covered in synthetic leather around inside a rectangle until it goes into the box at the end and the team who does it most wins otherwise its a draw.
Personally I still dont understand how we can have several different styles of swimming yet only one style of running at the olympics and athletics in general. Surely the fastest way is the only way. Why dont they have backwards running the same way we have backstroke in swimming that is a far bigger atrocity in my opinion.
His wartime reference is just pathetic also. I am sure that the Australians back home were very thankful that Rugby League decided to continue throughout WW1, not only to keep up morale at home but it was also a source of income for many who were struggling at the time. Maybe if The Rugby Football Union hadnt pocketed the proceed's of Rugby in the so called amateur days they might have been more popular and recovered quicker after the War. Fortunately League was light years ahead in that regard. I doubt Union would have been really popular though as the game is boring to the max!!.

Anyway money talks and like it or lump it Rugby League albeit in Australia is worth 1 Billion to TV networks. Go back to the "Dead Poets Society" Mr Pottinger. Case Closed!!!.......

This from a man who thinks Bathurst is the pinnacle of sport

Daniel said:
This from a man who thinks Bathurst is the pinnacle of sport

It is for motorsport, did you know f1 drivers lose 5kg during a typical race?

Did you know motor racing is boring?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7