[Resurrected] Results Based Myth

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
If we are moving Toovey on because it is a "results based decision", Then why in god's name are we hiring the king of mediocre. Mr 50% win percentage Trent Barrett for 3 years????

He coached Penrith reigning premiers NYC team in 2014 He took over from David Garth who had a 70% win ratio after they won the 2013 NYC season. Barrett took over and settled them nicely into mediocrity at 24 games for 12 wins 50% win ratio.

In 2012 he took over as country coach and guess what in 4 games he has won 2 for yes you guessed it 50%

Played 11 origin games and won only 4

Played his career club 235 games for 117 wins his winning percentage was you guessed it 49.8% he has actually lost more club games than he won.

in comparison Toovey has until before this year his coaching was at around 63% and even after this dismal season he is still at 58%.

Tooveys playing career club winning percentage even after the Northern Eagles years is still at 58%

Results based pffft

Also Barrett has never won a Grand Final as a player or a clive churchill medal. He did somehow manage to jag a Dally M in 2000 but with his undeserved media love affair with him im not suprised.

Cant wait!

This whole mess is boardroom politics ,it always has been.They can try to spin & leak all they want ,but the simple truth is - No one gets on with the Penns.
Yes that is right. No one in the sea eagles at top level has got on with the PENNS.. It goes right back to Paul Cummings, Joe Cross Pat Wilson, Max Delmege, The football club directors (all of them bar a time when peters coned his self on there to spy on them). Graham Lowe,David Perry,the quantum group and the large list goes on. Are all these people wrong? I dont think so.

What they have now is YES men that they pay to tell everyone they are great.
At the end of the day the PENNS have been the common denominator in the disfunction at board level and management and that has manifested now as they are in control.
The topic of why Barrett is simple . He will be there YES man because that's what they want and if not, your out!! no matter how good you are.

Last edited:
Yes that is right. No one in the sea eagles at top level has got on with the PENNS.. It goes right back to Paul Cummings, Joe Cross Pat Wilson, Max Delmege, The football club directors (all of them bar a time when peters coned his self on there to spy on them). Graham Lowe,David Perry,the quantum group and the large list goes on. Are all these people wrong? I dont think so.

What they have now is YES men that they pay to tell everyone they are great.
At the end of the day the PENNS have been the common denominator in the disfunction at board level and management and that has manifested now as they are in control.
The topic of why Barrett is simple . He will be there YES man because that's what they want and if not, your out!! no matter how good you are.

that is a misnomer, a massive misnomer in fact.

The board room has actually consisted of a a fairly similar set of member for a significant time, the balance of power changed and the odd member moved but its surprisingly similar

Barrent is a fool.

He is being appointed as cannon fodder pending the return of Hasler in 2018.

Once the messiah returns Penn's will be happy.

that is a misnomer, a massive misnomer in fact.

The board room has actually consisted of a a fairly similar set of member for a significant time, the balance of power changed and the odd member moved but its surprisingly similar
Love ya work Dan but it's not even a teeny tiny misnomer. Look up the word. :wasntme:@;)@:blush:

This whole mess is boardroom politics ,it always has been.They can try to spin & leak all they want ,but the simple truth is - No one gets on with the Penns.
OK. If the Penns are so crook, what is their motivation for being involved in the club?
I really want to know. Some on here seem to believe they want to destroy the club. But why?

A results based environment , what a larf. Does this also apply to our CEO? who has bee anonymous for the last 4 months. Does it apply to Willo who has a winning percentage of 25 during his coaching tenure? Is it the failure of our fans and members that we dont attend games at Brooky? Where do you draw the line Penns? Your performance is also being judged right now and there is a lot at stake if you fail in your duty to our club!

OK. If the Penns are so crook, what is their motivation for being involved in the club?
I really want to know. Some on here seem to believe they want to destroy the club. But why?
I don't believe that they want to destroy it, they just don't transfer commercial savvy to a community based business well.

The real estate deals seem to be the bottom line.
They have not presented a Business Plan, so who knows what the 5 year plan is

Barrent is a fool.

He is being appointed as cannon fodder pending the return of Hasler in 2018.

Once the messiah returns Penn's will be happy.

Or is Bozo effectively taking on the coaching role, and using Barrett as his puppet.

I agree, I will not be surprised if halser does a bennett and heads back in 2018.

What has Hasler added to his credentials since he left? He went to a strong Team, unlimited Sports Tech setup, Unified Board and still could not deliver a Premiership.

If he returns in 2018, no Player at Manly would have any connection to him.

Barrett keeps quiet in the media so I know very little about him aside from that he is highly regarded. He will be a stranger to most of our squad which probably a plus, and I can see the merit in having Cartwright in his corner.

Shame for Tooves, but NRL coaching has nothing to do with fan popularity polls. It's so obvious we need a change, fingers crossed it will be a successful choice.

Now, what time is the press conference? ;)

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex
So should Barrett be christened Ray Lowe, or Graham Ritchie?

In fairness though, Lowe was never meant to be a caretaker coach. He already had a successful record when he came here in 1990. He'd coached Norths to the 1980 Brisbane premiership. He then was the New Zealand coach, taking the Kiwis to the 1988 World Cup Final, and was Wigan coach at the time they beat us in the 1987 WCC. When Lowe took over at Wigan they had been running in the mid-table for a few seasons. It was under Lowe that Wigan started winning premierships and Challenge Cup's again with alarming regularity and he was seen as our next Bob Fulton in terms of coaching. In fact, at Wigan Lowe had 116-17-1 record from 134 matches from 1986-89, a staggering 86.6% winning ratio.

Unfortunately his health took a nose dive during his time with us (not helped by the pressures of being the first outsider to coach the Qld Origin team taking over from Arthur Beetson) and when he simply couldn't go on under the stresses that coaching brings, the club put out an SOS to Bozo who came back to the club even though he was the then Kangaroos coach.

Alan Thompson was more of a caretaker coach at Manly than Lowe was. I don't know if its true but one story I heard was that we actually wanted Lowe from 1989 after Bozo left to take the Australian job but Wigan boss Maurice Lindsey wouldn't let Lowe go before his contract ran out. Thommo was given the job as he'd taken our reserve grade to the 87 GF and the 88 premiership, but when Lowe became available, the club got their man and Thommo was gone (though he wasn't helped by a poor 1989 season where we went 9-12-1 and missed the finals).

Last edited:
It's not that I see them wanting to destroy it.Its that I see them unwillingly destroying it , due to shear incompetence of not knowing enough about rugby league management and of Manly's history & culture.
Trust me ,I'm not wearing a tin hat & would love to be proven wrong, but the aura around Penn seems fake & arrogant.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2