resting players

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
With a vital top 4 possie all but secured, should Tooves consider resting someone, with a view to building to a peak at the right time?

Choc is one who might have benefitted, but that is now taken care of by circumstances. Gift should be fine after a late start to the year.

Bigbird suggested in another thread Matai could use a rest. I wonder about Lawrence - in his first full NRL season we have leaned on him a lot. A small break might freshen him up?

We can still finish 6th, and that includes winning one of the remaining 4 matches.

Dont think its an option with a top 2 spot a rough hope.

I would imagine if the circumstance arouse that a win vs Penrith in round 26 meant playing Melbourne in Melbourne in the first final a few blokes would get a rest.

Realistically the only game you would rest players for would be the last game of the year against Penrith. At the moment we look like finishing 3rd or 4th. Either way we'll be playing against the Roosters or Souths in the first week of the finals. As long as 4th is at least secured you could rest players. Melbourne probably will. They have done it in the past.

However, it depends on who you would rather play in week 1.

Definitely not. We can still finish second and go into the finals with a 10-game winnning streak. Injuries will take their tool, naturally. There is nothing to say a player rested won't be injured in the return match.

Think this is a good idea for the Penrith game.
Process of elimination. Who can't we rest, therefore if not in that category, who should we rest.

Kite, Lawrence, Choc, Stevie, Taufua ?

Suggest its Kite, Choc.

In simple terms , injuries are an unfortunate part of all contact sports.
There is an argument that having time off can actually increase the likelihood of injury as nothing gets you more match fit than match conditions.
I do understand SOO being rested for a few particular club games but generally, the body builds up more of an immune to general contact, bumps & bruises through weekly football match conditions.
If its an injury, like Choc obviously has, get it right.
Resting players for the sake of it, unless worn out from excess games like SOO or injury is not the right call imo.

If a player is slightly injured enough then i'd be more willing to rest them if we are assured top 4. We could also give players limited minutes of game time and give bench players more game time, however lately we have seen games where Richie played more minutes off the bench then Kite and Lawerence whom started and with Chocs injury Jamie B got alot of game time and even Gower got a decent run, We also have to fit Big Red back in soon, So I'd rather see the game time shared around more than resting for the whole week.

No, if they are injured give them time. If not play them. Teams love the bye as they all get time off and dont watch the rest go around, but resting players , especially now will not do the team any good

As for the penrith game, a big crowd, a good win, all the boys, the farewell, could give the team some serious momentum and clarity going into the big games

I wonder if Des is thinking of resting T-Rex...given that he already spends a lot of time standing motionless on the field.

No, Always play with your best 17.

Can devise a program so they can make it easier for some during week at training.

Besides, they can rest after we win the comp.

I agree with Brookvale. We have had our rest after playing 5 relatively easy matches.

The finals start this weekend as far as I'm concerned. Its time to step up and show we mean business. All present and accounted for.

If a player was on the cusp and a week of rehab/rest would get them from 85 to 95% fit I would say yes, perhaps a Steve Matai as he's had the odd injury niggle, however I would say only 1 or 2 players. We need to push up the table as much as possible, and although it's unlikely we'll drop out of the 4, it's still mathematically possible. Also losing is a habit like winning, we don't want to drop too many games heading into the semis.

The one player I would have probably said to rest would be Choc, coming out of origin, but that's now not needed.

Possibly the other could be Snake depending on where he is at with knees etc. And I would quite like to see Hiku getting the odd chance here and there (just in case).

The Who said:
Definitely not. We can still finish second and go into the finals with a 10-game winnning streak. Injuries will take their tool, naturally. There is nothing to say a player rested won't be injured in the return match.

Finishing second does zero to help us. We will still play the 1st week of the finals at the Sydney Football Stadium or at ANZ. The only way that is an advantage is if Melbourne finish 3rd and we play them. For that to happen Souths need to lose most of their remaining games and and we need to win all of them. Very unlikely.

I am in favour of resting some for sure ( IF the situation comes about in the last round say ) - but coaches generally don't seem to do it anyway. Choc's injury may be a blessing in disguise IF he is fully fit by Rd 26.

It gives the likes of a Buhrer, Gower, Hassan, Rose, Hiku, Sao, Symonds ( or whoever we threw in ) the chance to play big minutes in first grade and see who stands up. At the very least is good conditioning for them. Some of these blokes are only getting 10-15 mins a game when they do play.

Academic though - the situation either wont arise OR if it does we wont do it.

No it didn't take long at all for i am a computa whiz! I should re name myself Technical Expert.

Stevo said:
No it didn't take long at all for i am a computa whiz! I should re name myself Technical Expert.

No you cant do that. Apparently you cant be a technical expert at anything if your name ends in an "0"

Heard that somewhere.

EagleFromMay1967 said:
Think this is a good idea for the Penrith game.
Process of elimination. Who can't we rest, therefore if not in that category, who should we rest.

Kite, Lawrence, Choc, Stevie, Taufua ?

Suggest its Kite, Choc.

That's sounds like a great idea.

Yeah, lets rest Kitey for his farewell match at Brookie!!

I can't see any of the boys wanting to miss that one.

They'll get a rest in the 2nd week of the semis won't they?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6