Remembering 40 Nil

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
Given its 12 years to the day of the Storm massacre, I thought it would be good to share your memories of that great day. Here is mine I dug up from an old Manly Daily story written by a former ST poster Joe Barton.

FB59457A-5A7A-415C-95C7-A859BF74271C.jpeg

Given its 12 years to the day of the Storm massacre, I thought it would be good to share your memories of that great day. Here is mine I dug up from an old Manly Daily story written by a former ST poster Joe Barton.

View attachment 15672

So............. this whole article is basically you telling the world that you "got some" on grand final night.

bow chika bow wow

I was in Nuremburg, Germany for work(a beautiful town, unfortunately stained by association with the Nazis); I had it all figured out about listening to the ABC radio call on my laptop(in 2008, I couldn’t livestream video), I’d arranged for the game to be recorded at home, so I’d be able to watch it when I get back in a few weeks.

I went down to breakfast, pigged out in preparation for the big game(a bloke needs a full breakie before a tough game/ well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), whilst keeping a close eye on the time, as I planned to be listening 30 minutes before kick off.

So, I wandered back into the room, sat down and was looking forward to the call with high anticipation and I tune in.

Well, F**K me, it’s already the second half, we’re in front, so that’s good, but WTF! Then the penny drops when I realise NSW has just started Daylight saving time, F**K, F**K, F**K, what a goose I’m thinking about myself.

Anyway, I get into following the game and, I realise near the end of the game, that Beaver isn’t on the field as the game’s coming to an end. I start willing Dessie to put him back on, he does, then I’m praying for 2 things(fairly significant for an agnostic), “Boys, hold the bastards to Nil & Please, let Beaver score and finish with the Mighty ‘Eagles in a manner befitting a Champion“. Both happen and I was so, so happy and excited that I just couldn’t restrain myself and had to start calling people to make sure that they knew the result; bloody expensive that!

On my return home, first my Brother(Tigers supporter) who’s recorded the game for me, says “I think I accidentally deleted the game“, threats of physical violence quickly follow, but it’s all good, it’s all good, I sit down, settle in and watch the game straight through, twice, with full throated encouragement, with a third viewing a day or so later.

Bloody good times.

Last edited:
I was in Nuremburg, Germany for work(a beautiful town, unfortunately stained by association with the Nazis); I had it all figured out about listening to the ABC radio call on my laptop(in 2008, I couldn’t livestream video), I’d arranged for the game to be recorded at home, so I’d be able to watch it when I get back in a few weeks.

I went down to breakfast, pigged out in preparation for the big game(a bloke needs a full breakie before a tough game/ well that’s my story and I’m sticking to it), whilst keeping a close eye on the time, as I planned to be listening 30 minutes before kick off.

So, I wandered back into the room, sat down and was looking forward to the call with high anticipation and I tune in.

Well, F**K me, it’s already the second half, we’re in front, so that’s good, but WTF! Then the penny drops when I realise NSW has just started Daylight saving time, F**K, F**K, F**K, what a goose I’m thinking about myself.

Anyway, I get into following the game and, I realise near the end of the game, that Beaver isn’t on the field as the game’s coming to an end. I start willing Dessie to put him back on, he does, then I’m praying for 2 things(fairly significant for an agnostic), “Boys, hold the bastards to Nil & Please, let Beaver score and finish with the Mighty ‘Eagles in a manner befitting a Champion“. Both happen and I was so, so happy and excited that I just couldn’t restrain myself and had to start calling people to make sure that they knew the result; bloody expensive that!

On my return home, first my Brother(Tigers supporter) who’s recorded the game for me, says “I think I accidentally deleted the game“, threats of physical violence quickly follow, but it’s all good, it’s all good, I sit down, settle in and watch the game straight through, twice, with full throated encouragement, with a third viewing a day or so later.

Bloody good times.
Bavaria is one place i would love to visit.

I'm still disappointed to this day that Manly didn't play against Melb with Cam Smith in the squad, the win would of meant more and the look on his face afterwards would of been priceless.

The win was pretty much guaranteed so i lacked that nervous energy beforehand to really appreciate the relief of the win afterwards---enjoyed the Warriors GF game more.

In saying that 40nil is always nice to look back on.

As a mum of twins, I congratulate you. An awesome way to celebrate such a special GF win!

I have some wonderful memories I'll never forget of that super special day, including keeping the Storm scoreless, Kitey's CC medal, Stevie kicking goals and the icing on the cake of Beaver's try.
Trying to get into the Leagies afterwards despite having an entry ticket was such a huge disappointment, but I prefer to think of the jubilations of that really awesome day.

We were in the corner where Beaver scored his try. Don't think I've ever jumped higher. Robbos' tries in that corner were scintillating and when Kitey went under the posts the eruption of maroon and white was a thing of beauty. Was truly the greatest day as a Sea Eagle supporter and so lucky to be there. The Maaaaanly , Maaaaanly chorus from about 60000 Manly supporters was spine tingling. Brought tears to my eyes as my Dad had passed away 1 year earlier while he was watching tv at home during the 2007 prelim final vs the Cows. What a day it was. Hopefully we see another one soon enough.

I got a call from a mate saying he had a ticket at the 11th hour and asking did I want it.
I didn't go.
Being superstitious, I stayed away.
I've been to 3 Grand Finals. 1982, 1983 and 2013.
One of these days I might see a win in person.

This day was the ultimate revenge for the year earlier and later on after we found out about their cheating it made this triumph really significant.

All I remember from the day was it was 80 percent Manly fans and after a hard fought first half the boys went on to obliterate the drizzle and it was capped off by the Beaver scoring that try!

It was an emotional day for many of us as it was in so many ways the confirmation that our club was back after only 5 years earlier being on the brink of extinction.

As a fan it was one of those perfect days that dont come too often and for me the only thing that would have topped it off would have been that the opposite team wore blue and gold!

As a mum of twins, I congratulate you. An awesome way to celebrate such a special GF win!

I have some wonderful memories I'll never forget of that super special day, including keeping the Storm scoreless, Kitey's CC medal, Stevie kicking goals and the icing on the cake of Beaver's try.
Trying to get into the Leagies afterwards despite having an entry ticket was such a huge disappointment, but I prefer to think of the jubilations of that really awesome day.
The leagues afterwards was a debacle , the deal was if you took one of their buses to the game it guaranteed you entrance afterwards , there were hundreds on that crowd with tickets who never got in.

I got lucky , sent a text to one of the football department staff who snuck me in a back door so luckily I was there when the players came through and saw the famous WOLFMAN crowd surfing episode!!

What a night , albeit a very very long one.

The leagues afterwards was a debacle , the deal was if you took one of their buses to the game it guaranteed you entrance afterwards , there were hundreds on that crowd with tickets who never got in.

I got lucky , sent a text to one of the football department staff who snuck me in a back door so luckily I was there when the players came through and saw the famous WOLFMAN crowd surfing episode!!

What a night , albeit a very very long one.
I had one of those guaranteed Leagues Club entry tix as well...

What a day. My big bro got me tix and flew me down for my 30th. We were at Randwick races Saturday and had a skinful! Sun morn out to brekky in Coogee and then back on the sauce. Headed out to ANZ with great tix on half way in the top stand looking right down camera side. More beers and cheering. Think it was the living end pre game banging on bbqs from memory. Game was great Kitey enormous and I won’t forget the boos when Scams face was on the big screen! After the game kicked on in town with my bro. I remember he and I meeting a couple of delightful young ladies at the Clock in Surry Hills. We all enjoyed a splendid evening together.......

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6