Religion. is there a God?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
See my signature, I am an Agnostic, but for those that have issues with comprehension, my signature means, that I am a god

Napper said:
Discuss

No. There isn't.

Doesn't get a lot of mentions in recent times, but the related concepts of good and evil have been very much in vogue (possibly dating back to the first gulf war and the 'Axis of Evil')
Discuss.

I've had a couple of near death experiences in my life and this is a question I've pondered a lot in my darkest hours.

For me, i think that ultimately there needs to be a creator. Not a creator of you and me, not the 7 days earth creator, not God in the sense we as humans refer to it ( judgmental prick on a fluffy cloud that we owe something to for others indiscretions).

Beyond that i don't think i could begin to even fathom myself what it is let alone describe it on a rugby league forum.

I believe in evolution, i believe in life on other planets, i believe it had to be created at some point but that's where i lose it and i doubt anyone could mount a sensible argument otherwise..

Or brains aren't developed for believing anything beyond a beginning and an end because it serves us no survival advantage to do so.

If something made us what made it? The thing that made it... How did it become? We are stuck on a human and dimensional law of creation. i believe the explanation lies outside what we know as creation and that's where I'll leave it.

The only thing I'll ad is that when I've pondered death over the years i think the fear comes from the unknown and that it's the only thing in life you'll ever have to experience alone. This for me explains religion's 'God' and need to have a one size fits all answer to help subdue fear of the unknown. Not to explain the origins of life or infact do anything but make us more comfortable with our fate (did i mention it makes a great tool for control?).

We can't and probably never will (in this life, in our planets lifespan) be able to explain our origins as atoms and objects in this mathematics universe. But if we go back to the place we were before we were born I'm sure we'll be just fine.

I believe in an afterlife. I've had enough experience with ghosts/hauntings over the years. I believe in life on other planets. I can't get enough of Ancient Aliens.

As for religion, I lean strongly towards the Wiccan/Pagan belief system. The Christians stole so much of their religion and blatantly murdered so many of their members for not declaring what they believed in to be "devil worshipping" and converting to Christianity.

Please note, Wicca is nothing to do with waving a wand and have someone turn into a frog. The TV has a warped view of Wicca. It is a free for all, nature based religion, very centred on yourself and I would urge anyone that may feel a little at a loose end to investigate it. Don't just write it off as nonsense until you have fully researched and get a true understanding of what it's all about.

People tend to live in their own very small existence, refusing to explore or even consider there could be other answers to questions of origin, religion and afterlife. The more technologically advanced the world gets, the lazier and dumber we are getting as a species. We are slowly losing our survival instincts. We are losing touch with our inner selves.

Further more, I follow the Fit For Life model of diet as closely as I can and would recommend to anyone that hasn't read that book to do whatever you can to get a copy of it. You may get quite a few more years on the planet before finding the answer to the afterlife question :)

Has anyone seen Cosmos, an excellent series by Neil De Grasse Tyson? It was on Fox not too long ago. I highly recommend it, kids would find it fascinating and entertaining as well. An updated version of Carl Sagan's ground-breaking series.

We don't need religion to explain our existence (in fact religious explanations generate more questions than answers, in my opinion)

mozgrame said:
Well, that was a massive bait fail. I thought for sure I would have landed a Stevo with that!!
Just to remind me, are you the poster who used to have in your signature, 'I make stuff up'? ;)

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Has anyone seen Cosmos, an excellent series by Neil De Grasse Tyson? It was on Fox not too long ago. I highly recommend it, kids would find it fascinating and entertaining as well. An updated version of Carl Sagan's ground-breaking series.

We don't need religion to explain our existence (in fact religious explanations generate more questions than answers, in my opinion)

mozgrame said:
Well, that was a massive bait fail. I thought for sure I would have landed a Stevo with that!!
Just to remind me, are you the poster who used to have in your signature, 'I make stuff up'? ;)

Yep! Aahhh, so that's why nobody believes me and bites. Dammit!!

WARNING! I make stuff up! I used to have that on a coffee cup. lol

I like Carl Sagan views. I've had his book, Cosmos (inherited it form my Mum when she passed) for years and still haven't finished it. You get so caught up in what he says, and the sensible way in which he conveys it, that you could just reread the first couple of chapters over and over. Very interesting stuff.

Big thanks to Seth McFarlane and Neil De Grasse Tyson for bringing it to life!

I did see some of Cosmos, and whilst it was awesome without doubt, I found the host had the charisma of a brick. (No offence meant to those that disagree).

As for a "GOD"...

With what we see every day I struggle to believe.

(Yes, I know the answer to that is "HE" gave Mankind freewill, therefore atrocities or injustice is "our fault").

I'm far from sold on that.

And with what I've experienced in my own life, and those of the people I love (or have loved) I'm even further away from believing there's a benevolent creator, or ANY rhyme and reason for this Earth.

SeaEagleRock8 said:

mozgrame said:

There is content worth watching on FOX other than sport news to me.

God exists because Technical Coach says so end of discussion before God makes me dribble into overly technical elements of life beyond how to deliver the perfect face ball.

mozgrame said:
I believe in an afterlife. I've had enough experience with ghosts/hauntings over the years. I believe in life on other planets. I can't get enough of Ancient Aliens.

As for religion, I lean strongly towards the Wiccan/Pagan belief system. The Christians stole so much of their religion and blatantly murdered so many of their members for not declaring what they believed in to be "devil worshipping" and converting to Christianity.

Please note, Wicca is nothing to do with waving a wand and have someone turn into a frog. The TV has a warped view of Wicca. It is a free for all, nature based religion, very centred on yourself and I would urge anyone that may feel a little at a loose end to investigate it. Don't just write it off as nonsense until you have fully researched and get a true understanding of what it's all about.

People tend to live in their own very small existence, refusing to explore or even consider there could be other answers to questions of origin, religion and afterlife. The more technologically advanced the world gets, the lazier and dumber we are getting as a species. We are slowly losing our survival instincts. We are losing touch with our inner selves.

Further more, I follow the Fit For Life model of diet as closely as I can and would recommend to anyone that hasn't read that book to do whatever you can to get a copy of it. You may get quite a few more years on the planet before finding the answer to the afterlife question :)

I had a Wiccan/ paganism-type girlfriend once, and after about 3 years of life with her, I can guarantee ya' she was a witch (with honours!) LOL.

I'm more inclined to believe in life on other planets (and UFO's for the generic view) than an actual omnipotent God. Far more inclined now having thought about it.

The actual scale of the "universe" proposes there's thousands of galaxies, or solar-systems similar to ours; or quite different. And many, many further afield we have no insight or knowledge of.

So I see the odds of all things climate and conditionally-wise only combining ONCE to create "life" as we know it, massively unlikely.
Just what any other planets, inhabitants, and evolutionary status they're at is another altogether fascinating question.

But again, on this Q of a God, yay or nay......again as you say moz, Religions are responsible for more deaths, murders, genocides and/or ethnic-cleansing attempts
than any other catalyst or country.

Surely if there is (or was) an ultimate "plan" for Earth and our Universe, the current and historical state-of-play isn't what would've been desired, much less designed?

And I agree for our level of sophistication and "progress" it does paradoxically lend itself to more sheltered, or insular live styles.

Yes, we communicate here. It's largely impersonal and too often leads to misunderstanding and overall, more of a sense of isolation.
You can shop, pay bills and manage money, eat, sleep, exercise, even "go" to the doc (via video-link) all from the comfort of your coccoon.

Will the day come we are all locked in " gated-communities" less and less interacting face to face...Still looking to the sky for any or just one answer?!

(I may track down the Fit for Life book now too, mate).

Fit for life is an awesome book, and the information inside it is a wealth of knowledge. It has been rehashed so many times, under so many different names incorrectly as a "diet". I think one of the latest spin offs is the "live food diet".

It's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change, and it's a very simple one. It makes a lot of sense and you see and feel the difference within the first week.

Track it down at all costs @RiverEagle You won't regret it!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4