Reflecting on 2018 season

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
After many angry frustrating moments as a Manly fan, we can now see the season without as much emotion and sum it up as a shocker....and not an excuse man, but damn we copped floggings off field as well as on.
I mean -
*key injuries
*Poor selections
*off field turmoil
*lack of speed and fitness

I feel the problem that was the biggest concern, is the players were distant and lacked the love of past teams who would take a bullet for their team mates....plenty of individuals with ability, but the moral was poor and the comradery was low....this is when key moments decide games and when you lack this area - will generally fall away and come undone.
The key area here is the coaching staff to keep the energy, belief and build a team ....not a group of individuals.

Keen to hear how others assess the 2018 season .... be kind- be brutal....but let’s here it

Was our injury toll that bad really ??

Siro was a loss, but you could argue Lane filled that void pretty admirably.

Croker ? - rookie who not many here rated anyway - hardly a key to our season

Walker ? - agree he had a disrupted season but still played over half the games - just not with any consistency

Uate - late season injury, by which time it was all over for us anyway - wingers very rarely play a crucial role and should be the easiest to replace

Horhay - see above - our wingers aren't match winners so we should be able to cover them

Api - agree he was a loss, but once again this was halfway through season by which time we were already cooked.

Tangles, Jetski - depth forwards, far from key players

Compare this to what Penrith went through, or even Knights, with key outs They both still competed

What it did show is the poor state of our player depth. Brown, Hastings, Wrights x 3, Parker, Hodko etc At full strength we have a decent 17, but one or two injuries and we are struggling to cover it. Now that the bulk of those back up players have moved on I'm hoping that we get some fresh blood coming through and some improvement in second tier player quality.

We just looked like a poorly prepared and coached side who didn't have any idea about how to fight for a game or play tough structured footy. If things went our way we looked like world beaters on the back of individual brilliance, but if we had to compete and fight we invariably delivered an inconsistent performance. I keep coming back to what I see as a distinct lack of experience and leadership in this side, no one mans up. This season just had the feel of a fractured playing group, cliquey player/coach stuff going on and mentally weak performances. As you say - no morale, no camaraderie - too much ego.

A fresh coach, some home truths, some discipline and some "my way or the highway" stuff needs to be dished out. We need a broom put through the place, and hopefully that looks like happening - get rid of the underperforming staff, cut the dead wood from the playing roster.

Last edited:
After many angry frustrating moments as a Manly fan, we can now see the season without as much emotion and sum it up as a shocker....and not an excuse man, but damn we copped floggings off field as well as on.
I mean -
*key injuries
*Poor selections
*off field turmoil
*lack of speed and fitness

I feel the problem that was the biggest concern, is the players were distant and lacked the love of past teams who would take a bullet for their team mates....plenty of individuals with ability, but the moral was poor and the comradery was low....this is when key moments decide games and when you lack this area - will generally fall away and come undone.
The key area here is the coaching staff to keep the energy, belief and build a team ....not a group of individuals.

Keen to hear how others assess the 2018 season .... be kind- be brutal....but let’s here it
Tough yeah as a supporter probably hardest i had as fan that includes Ne days. Key points
* lack of depth was never addressed from 17 as cap issue made it hard to sign anyone except thommo.
* cap problems 12 months on are issue and don't seem to be resovled.
* giving blake green a release was massive issue to our season. Croker was on hiding to nothing, then walker got throw keys which again showed he not a 6. Trent hodkinson showed he finished too slow.
* dylan walker injury - this was massive given he was centre of the year in 17.
This along with losing api for half the season, siro for most and aku for half also. Made our 17 look like a band aid every week.
* bundaberg - no doubt here fractured squad. Lussick and shaun lane too casualties. Trent barrett lost the room after this imo.
* still have the talent - seeing how the turbos perform along with dce at origin showed this team has real bluechip players. While brian kelly started to come of age.
* blooding players not ready - fainu showed glimpses but his defence was poor, brad parker looked out of depth, jack gooewiski hands and in discipline where problems. But all better for the run.
* as fans we may need to show maybe bit less fickle. The crowds for the knights who finished mid table again showed we need to be more humble with both turning up to games and memberships. We want a team moving forward.
* the coach - he no doubt champion bloke but imo like any job if they see him as a mate and not boss they won't show him respect. There needs to be fear factor.

I still believe with a experienced made a helm we could be top 8. But need alot of luck with injuries. Can't have siro, api and walker out for long periods. Here my top 17 for next season -
Tommy t
Jorge taufua
Dylan walker
Kelly
Suli
Elgey
Dce
Taupau ( not sure here alot of roosters rumours still.)
Api
Fonua blake
Thompson
Sironen
Jake t
Tanginoa
Fainu
Goewiski
Perrett

Rest of squad
Matt wright
Sipley
Paseka
Croker
Winerstein
Hodkinson
Garrick
Elliot

Tough yeah as a supporter probably hardest i had as fan that includes Ne days. Key points
* lack of depth was never addressed from 17 as cap issue made it hard to sign anyone except thommo.
* cap problems 12 months on are issue and don't seem to be resovled.
* giving blake green a release was massive issue to our season. Croker was on hiding to nothing, then walker got throw keys which again showed he not a 6. Trent hodkinson showed he finished too slow.
* dylan walker injury - this was massive given he was centre of the year in 17.
This along with losing api for half the season, siro for most and aku for half also. Made our 17 look like a band aid every week.
* bundaberg - no doubt here fractured squad. Lussick and shaun lane too casualties. Trent barrett lost the room after this imo.
* still have the talent - seeing how the turbos perform along with dce at origin showed this team has real bluechip players. While brian kelly started to come of age.
* blooding players not ready - fainu showed glimpses but his defence was poor, brad parker looked out of depth, jack gooewiski hands and in discipline where problems. But all better for the run.
* as fans we may need to show maybe bit less fickle. The crowds for the knights who finished mid table again showed we need to be more humble with both turning up to games and memberships. We want a team moving forward.
* the coach - he no doubt champion bloke but imo like any job if they see him as a mate and not boss they won't show him respect. There needs to be fear factor.

I still believe with a experienced made a helm we could be top 8. But need alot of luck with injuries. Can't have siro, api and walker out for long periods. Here my top 17 for next season -
Tommy t
Jorge taufua
Dylan walker
Kelly
Suli
Elgey
Dce
Taupau ( not sure here alot of roosters rumours still.)
Api
Fonua blake
Thompson
Sironen
Jake t
Tanginoa
Fainu
Goewiski
Perrett

Rest of squad
Matt wright
Sipley
Paseka
Croker
Winerstein
Hodkinson
Garrick
Elliot

We excelled when we had speed on the flanks, so that is paramount. I think this should be the bones of the squad, and the rest need to be blinding speed :

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Reuben Garrick
03. Brian Kelly
04. Dylan Walker
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Apisai Koroisou
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Curtis Sironen
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Manase Fainu
15. Kelepi Tanginoa
16. Taniela Paseka

Coach: Michael Maguire
Assistant Coach: Michael Monaghan
Fitness Coach: Matt Ballin

18. Trent Hodkinson
19. Moses Suli
20. Jorge Taufua
21. Lachlan Croker
22. Lloyd Perrett
23. Frank Winterstein
24. Jack Gosweiski
25. Brad Parker
26. Brendan Elliott
27. Sean Keppie
28. Jade Anderson
29. Tom Amone

To me, this is a squad that should easily be cap compliant. I'd hazard a guess that there would be sufficient space to get marquee type players to fill those gaps.

1 big fast winger makes a huge difference. Look at Parra without Radradra.

Yes, but look who they bought to replace him next year....

images

This year really was the perfect storm where poor coaching, injuries, the Green/pearce stuff up, off field dramas, squad disharmony all converged.

And that is not an excuse, a lot of the above was our own doing.

The upside is that our squad is not as bad as 2018 would suggest, so if we manage to appointment the right coach and support the squad their is no reason not to be hopeful of a vastly improved 2019

Lack of effective game management to close out quite a few close results in Manly favour when the match was in hand and there to be easily won . Switching off and in conjunction with numerous poor responses to the inevitable change of momentum when again they often had the opposition"s measure . Unhelpful game and coaching tactics in numerous matches also . Fixing up the erratic defensive efforts and particularly out wide will go a long way to improving prospects . Of course everyone accepting that the team "s collective interests supercede any individual's or personality based separate issues . Fully professional mindset and conduct in every facet at playing and coaching level .

Ordinary weak minded coaching always equals lazy unaccountable performances and decaying culture in any sport. Some of the selections and game tactics at the back end of the season were an absolute embarrassment.

The scramble to back Barrett and then his possible replacement Cartwright by players who just avoided the spoon on the ludicrous notion that he knows our “ systems” shows just how much the culture and standards of the club have decayed.When players who have performed miserably feel they should have the final say on who captains the ship you know the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Carty may be a decent coach( I’ve heard great things about his influence with Green at the Cowboys) given a decently talented roster like ours ( as he has never had one) but it’s far too big a risk to take at this point in our decline.

If I owned a top 4 club with plenty of talent and a tough culture Maguire or someone of his ilk wouldn’t be my choice. However a club in our position needs his particular skills. Discipline and accountability, not the pathetic handwringing boys club we have had for the last three years.It’s a long climb back and he would be a good choice to start that climb.

Last edited:
Ordinary weak minded coaching always equals lazy unaccountable performances and decaying culture in any sport. Some of the selections and game tactics at the back end of the season were an absolute embarrassment.

The scramble to back Barrett and then his possible replacement Cartwright by players who just avoided the spoon on the ludicrous notion that he knows our “ systems” shows just how much the culture and standards of the club have decayed.When players who have performed miserably feel they should have the final say on who captains the ship you know the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Carty may be a decent coach given a decently talented roster like ours ( as he has never had one) but it’s far too big a risk to take at this point in our decline.

If I owned a top 4 club with plenty of talent and a tough culture Maguire or someone of his ilk wouldn’t be my choice. However a club in our position needs his particular skills. Discipline and accountability, not the pathetic handwringing boys club we have had for the last three years.It’s a long climb back and he would be a good choice to start that climb.

Can you apply for the vacant CEO position when the Lyall goes ?

The scramble to back Barrett and then his possible replacement Cartwright by players who just avoided the spoon on the ludicrous notion that he knows our “ systems” shows just how much the culture and standards of the club have decayed.When players who have performed miserably feel they should have the final say on who captains the ship you know the lunatics have taken over the asylum. Carty may be a decent coach given a decently talented roster like ours ( as he has never had one) but it’s far too big a risk to take at this point in our decline.

Magnificent post mate.

Hey Ryan. Hope you well.

Having said all that I’m in the optimistic camp with you for next year. Add some pace out wide to this squad and some hard nosed coaching and accountability and we have a top eight side.Ive never seen coaching and bench use as bad as the last few years and I think you will see much better results if we get the right guy at the helm.Thats the game changer. A good coach.

Down the track in terms of winning a comp it comes down to how these talented young guys develop and our ability to jag a marque player or two after this salary cap fiasco. The talent is there.

Hey Ryan. Hope you well.

Having said all that I’m in the optimistic camp with you for next year. Add some pace out wide to this squad and some hard nosed coaching and accountability and we have a top eight side.Ive never seen coaching and bench use as bad as the last few years and I think you will see much better results if we get the right guy at the helm.Thats the game changer. A good coach.

Down the track in terms of winning a comp it comes down to how these talented young guys develop and our ability to jag a marque player or two after this salary cap fiasco. The talent is there.

Absolutely mate. These guys have the talent. They lack the desire and system. They lack the drive.

I really hope we get some.form.of.investment in the team. We are an old beat up Porsche. Put some money into it, it's a slick Porsche again.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6