Record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Brocky

Reserve Grader
Seriously has Manly ever had success with an outside coach, I think if we miss the 8 this will reinforce that we need someone from inside to right the ship. I always thought having so many Different players from other clubs and not enough juniors that came thru when we had that golden era to carry it on. I believe the Penns and FUlton got it wrong. These elite players should have being kept around to pass on the winning formula. Imagine if they looked after Stewart brothers, Matia and co. I have nothing against Barrett, but I don't see Manly when I look at him and Cartwright what a Tosser These guys were winners, might have being larikins but got the job done. I hold my breath until we get a Manly boy back at the helm, I don't care who it is. Luv to see Cliffy have a go. I can sympathize with the bulldogs on this issue.

The fact is coaches have won premiership with clubs that they had no previous affiliations .
The other fact is players win grand finals and not coaches .
Correct but not at Manly, the coach has to have that enigma about them to get the players to where they need to be.

Correct but not at Manly, the coach has to have that enigma about them to get the players to where they need to be.
Just like Jamie Lyon can come from the west/ parra and be born again and breath the spirit of Manly then so can a coach .
Any person can be born again feathered friend :)
We will agree to disagree
031013m_JamieLyon_800x600.jpg

Here we go again with this stone-age theory that we need a Manly coach who "knows the culture" just because we're in a slump. 6 weeks ago Barrett was the best thing since sliced bread to all the naysayers as well but then put the knife in. Barrett has done exceptional considering all the factors that he has been dealt with in his first 2 seasons.

He's shown enough to me that he has the potential to take this club to a premiership in th future.

Just like Jamie Lyon can come from the west/ parra and be born again and breath the spirit of Manly then so can a coach .
Any person can be born again feathered friend :)
We will agree to disagree
View attachment 6396
i think it was easier for him because we had the spine there with the the so called players I mentioned, but now I am not so sure

Here we go again with this stone-age theory that we need a Manly coach who "knows the culture" just because we're in a slump. 6 weeks ago Barrett was the best thing since sliced bread to all the naysayers as well but then put the knife in. Barrett has done exceptional considering all the factors that he has been dealt with in his first 2 seasons.

He's shown enough to me that he has the potential to take this club to a premiership in th future.
I never said he was a great coach 6 weeks ago,

In 70 years, Manly has only ever had 4 coaches that were not ex-Manly players .... hardly a large enough sample to make any sweeping conclusion.

Also ..

Bellamy never played for Storm
Bennett never played for Broncos
Maquire never played for Souths
Robinson never played for Easts
Flanagan never played for Cronulla
Bennett never played for St George
Stewart never played for Easts
Etc etc etc.

In 70 years, Manly has only ever had 4 coaches that were not ex-Manly players .... hardly a large enough sample to make any sweeping conclusion.

Also ..

Etc etc etc.
Yes you are correct, but these samples all have one thing in common, they are the best.

Seriously has Manly ever had success with an outside coach, I think if we miss the 8 this will reinforce that we need someone from inside to right the ship. I always thought having so many Different players from other clubs and not enough juniors that came thru when we had that golden era to carry it on. I believe the Penns and FUlton got it wrong. These elite players should have being kept around to pass on the winning formula. Imagine if they looked after Stewart brothers, Matia and co. I have nothing against Barrett, but I don't see Manly when I look at him and Cartwright what a Tosser These guys were winners, might have being larikins but got the job done. I hold my breath until we get a Manly boy back at the helm, I don't care who it is. Luv to see Cliffy have a go. I can sympathize with the bulldogs on this issue.

Scott Fulton

Also ..

Etc etc etc.

This is all correct, but it's what separates Manly from the rest.

We are different.

Last edited:
Seriously has Manly ever had success with an outside coach, I think if we miss the 8 this will reinforce that we need someone from inside to right the ship. I always thought having so many Different players from other clubs and not enough juniors that came thru when we had that golden era to carry it on. I believe the Penns and FUlton got it wrong. These elite players should have being kept around to pass on the winning formula. Imagine if they looked after Stewart brothers, Matia and co. I have nothing against Barrett, but I don't see Manly when I look at him and Cartwright what a Tosser These guys were winners, might have being larikins but got the job done. I hold my breath until we get a Manly boy back at the helm, I don't care who it is. Luv to see Cliffy have a go. I can sympathize with the bulldogs on this issue.[/QUO
Manly's have won premierships under Frank Stanton, Bob Fulton & Des Hasler. Ron Willey played for Bulldogs, Parramatta & Sea Eagles then coached Manly to 2 premierships. Manly had success with 'outside' coacoaches such as Graham Lowe until he became ill,
Yes you are correct, but these samples all have one thing in common, they are the best.
Were they the best when they started off????? I suppose Toovey was a Master coach also??

Garbage post but some of the sentiment is correct.

Manly should stick to coaches who have a history or connection with the club.
I also believe ex players from other clubs are the absolute worst candidates!

Yeah - and current players too... we shouldn't have any ex players from other clubs. We should just be Manly jnrs and thats it.
And we shouldn't have let Gutho go.
And Buhrer. And the club handled the Giftys situation terribly.

Im just getting in before everyone else.
We don't live in a perfect world and there are no perfect clubs . We are on record as the most success club in the modern era and we all should be proud of that !!!

May well be true that we don't need a former Manly player as coach but geez it felt comfy having Hasler and Tooves plotting wins together.

Im sure everyone on silvertails is proud of our clubs achievements.

So to have some continually criticise its players, coach and administration for not being perfect in a perfect world... over and over and over again... just gets a little old.
I call it as I see It . :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7