Re: end of an era

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

nodd

Bencher
Just regarding the story in news aboutBennett, is this based on fact or speculation?

From today's SMH website:

Meanwhile Brisbane chief executive Bruno Cullen is expecting to learn coach Wayne Bennett's World Cup role with New Zealand on the weekend.

Bennett met newly appointed New Zealand Rugby League chairman Ray Haffenden in his Red Hill coaching office on Thursday and is expected to be confirmed as part of the Kiwis coaching staff over the weekend.

It's more likely Bennett will be handed a position where he oversees the team's preparations with former Kiwi captain Stephen Kearney named as coach.

Cullen said Bennett hadn't revealed details of the two hour talks.

"I know as much as you guys (media)," said Cullen.

"Wayne just told me he had the meeting and that was it basically."

The NZRL is expected to reveal Bennett's role on the weekend.

© 2008 AAP

the junior club I am invloved with has an association with the bongo's and after talking with our development officer, there seems to be no knowledge of Wayne leaving the broncos after 2008.

Bennett did negotiate with the Rorters a year ago, until it became news. I have been told that some in the Broncos management team think it is time that Bennett was gone - one of the Walters twins is supposed to have some following to take over and speculation has some others interested in putting their hand up.

Might all be speculation - but sometimes, where there is smoke there is fire!

I saw something that said that his contract was definitely not being renewed past 2008.

They want Bellamy but I think he is tied up until end 2009.

I would be surprised if Bennett lasts this year. Some idiot but 25k on the Bongos to make the 8 @ $1.45, but I think he would have been better looking at them missing. The wooden spoon at 34-1 looks a better bet. My guess is Lockyer to get injured and out after 10 weeks and with no solid bookends they will really struggle.

ManlyBacker link said:
I saw something that said that his contract was definitely not being renewed past 2008.

I would be surprised if Bennett lasts this year. Some idiot but 25k on the Bongos to make the 8 @ $1.45, but I think he would have been better looking at them missing. The wooden spoon at 34-1 looks a better bet. My guess is Lockyer to get injured and out after 10 weeks and with no solid bookends they will really struggle.

Bennett is already under contract until 2009. whether this contract lasts full term is another question.

I wasn't actually questioning the story just thought I may have missed something in the papers or news reports. ???

I personally think he will see out his contract and the bongo's will go a lot better than most people think. Don't really care either way though  :)

No probs nodd - just stating what I think I saw in one of the papers. You are right - this from the Telegraph:
"Fresh speculation last week claimed Bennett will inform the Broncos board at a scheduled meeting on Tuesday that he will stand down at season's end - 12 months before his deal expires.

Off-contract at the end of 2009, Bennett has been linked with a move to St George Illawarra, whose coach Nathan Brown is unsigned for next season."

On getting the wooden spoon I plumped for parra last season and was way, way off the mark :) I haven't got the Bongos in my 8, and time will tell.

nodd link said:
[quote author=ManlyBacker link=topic=176870.msg177432#msg177432 date=1202009376]

Bennett is already under contract until 2009. whether this contract lasts full term is another question.

I wasn't actually questioning the story just thought I may have missed something in the papers or news reports. ???

I personally think he will see out his contract and the bongo's will go a lot better than most people think. Don't really care either way though  :)
[/quote]

Can I make a prediction or what :-[

If we can get Lockyer / Bennett in a package deal - I say what the hell ! Lockyer could probably play another 3-4 years

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4