Tolu Koula

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
No way was Innes that fast, not even close. Yes he was certainly a gun centre once he worked out the differences between centre in union and centre in league, but skill was his main advantage, not his speed.

If you look at the footage of Martin Offiah scoring a length of the field try at Wembley in the 1994 Challenge Cup Final (Wigan vs Leeds), Innes was one of the Leeds players chasing him. Craig didn't get anywhere near Offiah, who wasn't even as quick as he was 3-4 years previously and its probable that both Saab and Koula are quicker now than Offiah was at his peak.
Martin Offiah the flyer was born in 1966 and in the 1994 Challange cup he was 28 years of age and at his peak . A fact is that sprinter's peak is generally reached between 23 and 30 ,

Martin was in a league of his own with his super speed

You are right HV8 Innes was not super fast but he was not super slow either from what I remember

Innes the dual international was a class player and the ultimate professional

I wouldn't say Innes was underrated at all, certainly not by Manly fans. I've heard many list him as a favourite.

Most underrated Manly player? Good topic for a poll.
Luke Williamson? He's underrated because many Manly fans didn't rate him at all! But I thought he had some toughness, had some skill (even kicked some goals), bit unlucky to miss out playing in a grand final for us, and helped in the rebuild of Manly's winning culture.
Luke Williamson .... This Is Your Life !

Looking back at Luke Williamson career he started in the backs and ended in the forwards
He was a good goal kicker and seasons top scorer for the Super League Adelaide Rams , The Raiders and the Northern Eagles

Luke Williamson was versatile and skillful player and a reliable all round performer in attack and defence and accomplished goal kicker

Luke Williamson had the ability to affectively play centre , wing , 5/8 . lock and s/row and would not be out of place on the bench of any team in the NRL

Definitely not by us fans SER8....nor by his team mates....but when ppl talk up illustrious names of Star Manly players, he would probably not get a mention....that's more what I meant there. @;)
Fair enough, but I don't know which players other "ppl" don't rate. I simply can't imagine what goes through the minds of those who don't find Manly the most lovable team, it's beyond my comprehension!
The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

Fair enough, but I don't know which players other "ppl" don't rate. I simply can't imagine what goes through the minds of those who don't find Manly the most lovable team, it's beyond my comprehension!
The Princess Bride Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

So that's why he says "inconceivable" on Young Sheldon every now and then...!

Yes, a tad underrated, I just remember that head gear he wore and running rampant out wide. Made every tackle. Yes wish he was with us for a decade - what a player.

Yes, a tad underrated, I just remember that head gear he wore and running rampant out wide. Made every tackle. Just pure class and as mentioned, dual international, reminded me of M.O'Connor, just pure class.
Yes wish he was with us for a decade - what a player.

Going back to Koula. The latest photo of him has him looking an absolute athlete. Such high hopes for this kid!
The modern game relies on speed more so than any era imo....and this bloke has it in spades.....a MUST to get a crack and may need a few games to get the physical side of NRL...but he will light it up and not suprised if this is in 2022....remember we want extra strike rather than just Tom T....this could be it ?

The modern game relies on speed more so than any era imo....and this bloke has it in spades.....a MUST to get a crack and may need a few games to get the physical side of NRL...but he will light it up and not suprised if this is in 2022....remember we want extra strike rather than just Tom T....this could be it ?
The need for Speed perspective .....

This Speed Superiority is not just an opinion my good Manly Man Maxta . It is a prove fact !

Speed dominated from the prehistoric times when is was the survival of the fastest, fittest and Strongest and nothing has changed since .

There is absolutely No advantage what so ever in being slow in defence or attack
Slow is a Liability in both defence or attack .
You can not stop what you cannot catch . Game over !

Speed kills and the faster you go the bigger the mediocre slower mess you live behind

We are the high flying Sea eagles

Koula
Turbo
Garrick
Saab

Catch us if you can !!!

1641941561271.png

Last edited:
Going back to Koula. The latest photo of him has him looking an absolute athlete. Such high hopes for this kid!
He looks fit strong and cut up

Looking forward to seeing him in the centres cutting up the opposition defensive line

Speed is cocaine on the footy field and gets the fans high

Looking forward to going to the game and seeing Koula come to life

Will history repeat itself?

In 2021, the slowest winger in the NRL was replaced by the fastest.

In 2022, will the slowest centre in the NRL be replaced by possibly the fastest?

IMO, Brad is a very whole hearted player, courageous in defence & attack. However, compared with Sea Eagles' premiership winning sides in the past, he would be considered a very reliable backup, not a centre in the top 13.

• Clever
Reactions: R3
Will history repeat itself?

In 2021, the slowest winger in the NRL was replaced by the fastest.

In 2022, will the slowest centre in the NRL be replaced by possibly the fastest?

Great pace is a weapon, no doubt about that at all, and like everyone I'm hoping Koula bursts onto the scene and becomes a big star. But they have to stop tries too. Is centre nowadays a very technical position? Being in the exact right places in defence but also in attack, knowing the right lines and running the right decoy moves etc. These are the areas Suli struggled with at times, yet he could certainly run with the ball. So if Koula wants to take Brad's spot he'll have to be a pretty smart well-rounded player.

So if Koula wants to take Brad's spot he'll have to be a pretty smart well-rounded player.
I agree. Hopefully, Koula's Blacktown form will be so good it can't be ignored. Des will likely start the season with the same centres. However, if one of them is injured, it will be interesting to see who is first cab off the rank - Dylan, Tolutau, Christian, Ben (or Jorge)?

But they have to stop tries too. Is centre nowadays a very technical position? Being in the exact right places in defence but also in attack, knowing the right lines and running the right decoy moves etc.
Correct defensive reads are an essential aspect of centre play. However, speed is also an asset for defenders - being able to move laterally to cut down attacks or to catch players after they run past.

Lines & decoy plays are very important in attack (as exhibited by Suli's expensive bungle in the 2021 prelim final). However, I wonder if emphasis on line & decoy plays for centres differs from team to team? If a team has centres with genuine attacking flair, are decoy plays run less often? Next season, I will try to observe this in the teams with gun centres, i.e. Staggs, Lomax, Best, Crichton, Manu & Olam.

These are the areas Suli struggled with at times, yet he could certainly run with the ball.
Suli has been a NRL player for a while now and it seems unlikely he will improve his defensive reads, but a player of his ability should have more impact in games. Apart from power, he has adequate pace, can step, has good hands & can pass selectively. I've always thought his best position would be wing (would need practice under the high ball). This would simplify his game & hopefully, allow his attacking potential to be unleashed. Then again, he may find a niche as a super sub.

Hi mate, I think I typed it wrong. I was a big fan but didn't mean he was a flyer, you are absolutely correct. Just knew where to run with lines etc and freakish at times with his ability to perform.
He was a high class centre - I just wish we had him for a few more years.

Next season, I will try to observe this in the teams with gun centres, i.e. Staggs, Lomax, Best, Crichton, Manu & Olam.
These guys are undoubtedly all good talents but in watching a few non-Manly games last year I really can't recall many game-changing performances from centres.

Staggs made one sensational bust (which got replayed as a TV highlight 5 times every week for the rest of the season - only because it was pretty much the only one!) Lomax and Best were well contained, Crichton could barely get in the game and got switched to wing.

Manu and Olam were the best, in Olam's case mostly just through straight power running. No coincidence their teams had fullbacks creating opportunities. Without space being created by others, very hard nowadays for centres to get the room to make a break by their own ability. However Manly has Turbo! So our centres definitely will be getting some space, and no reason Koula can't take advantage of that, just as Saab and Garrick did last year.

Actually I forgot Burton, he was the best centre last year I think. He is better than I thought he was. Dogs might just have hit the jackpot with that one.

Luke Williamson .... This Is Your Life !

Looking back at Luke Williamson career he started in the backs and ended in the forwards
He was a good goal kicker and seasons top scorer for the Super League Adelaide Rams , The Raiders and the Northern Eagles

Luke Williamson was versatile and skillful player and a reliable all round performer in attack and defence and accomplished goal kicker

Luke Williamson had the ability to affectively play centre , wing , 5/8 . lock and s/row and would not be out of place on the bench of any team in the NRL
Absolute champion bloke. Had the pleasure of meeting him at a benefit night for Beaver in 2008 and despite the fact that he was going to miss the final series and GF because of a hamstring injury he wasn’t kicking stones. 👍

Staggs made one sensational bust (which got replayed as a TV highlight 5 times every week for the rest of the season - only because it was pretty much the only one!) Lomax and Best were well contained, Crichton could barely get in the game and got switched to wing.
Actually, that solo try by Staggs was the 'try of the year' in 2020. He only played a couple of games in 2021 due to the recurrence of an ACL injury. Lomax & Best played some good games in 2021, but both missed much of the season due to injuries. In 2020, Crichton had an exceptional year at left centre outside Luai. In 2021 Burton usurped his position and Crichton subsequently played many games at fullback & wing. He will probably have a better season back at left centre in 2022.

Actually I forgot Burton, he was the best centre last year I think. He is better than I thought he was.
According to the stats, Burton was the best centre last year with the most number of tries, try assists & line breaks and second behind Olam in tackle busts - see Centres - 2021 Statistics

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4