'Quicker off the mark': Saab's praise for Koula

Bencher
I still believe that Russel Gartner and Dale Shearer are the fastest centre's we've ever had at Manly. And I can't split which one was quicker.

Snoz was certainly no slouch. Neither was Killer or the Kiwi's Darrell Williams and Kevin Iro. But none were ever as fast in the numbers 3 and 4 as Frog Eyes and Rowdy. IMO of course.

I think Koula can take that crown.
I imagine Koula and Saab would be hand timed the quickest. Don't forget the left hand centre we had, Craig Innes, an absolute gun.

R3

Bird gang affiliate
Based purely on speed, whose the quicker combo?

Ridge and Elsegood ?
or
Turbo and Garrick ?

(Any combo with Saab would win it..)

Bencher
Elsegood was probably 2-3 metres faster than Garrick.

However, Turbo would leave Ridge in his wake.....
Not sure with the Jack Elesgood and Garrick comparison , Garrick can motor and would be surprised if Elesgood was any quicker . Think that Frogs eyes Gartner had the most explosive acceleration for a Manly outside back from my observation but Koula looks like he could match this and will be even quicker all round . Actually thought that Ben Macdougall [ Adam "s brother ] had some surprising acceleration and occasionally did show it in his brief Manly stint but i guess that the list would be quite large if applied to other club "s players over time as well with speed or acceleration type attributes .

First Grader
Premium Member
I imagine Koula and Saab would be hand timed the quickest. Don't forget the left hand centre we had, Craig Innes, an absolute gun.
Hey Darren - remember the Manly comeback against a Fittler led Roosters team...think Kosef chargedown and ball go's to Craig Innes 50m out....Matt Sing regarded almost the games "best" cover defender comes across at Innes, who swats him away with 1 of the best fends ever seen....great moment!

Bencher
Hey Darren - remember the Manly comeback against a Fittler led Roosters team...think Kosef chargedown and ball go's to Craig Innes 50m out....Matt Sing regarded almost the games "best" cover defender comes across at Innes, who swats him away with 1 of the best fends ever seen....great moment!
Recall that Craig Innes showed one of the best dummies i ' ve seen to completely bamboozell a Rooster"s defence around the same time to score . Had some great timing apart from his all round skill and ability

First Grader
That is an amazing game. I watched it recently, and I'm glad there was no bunker in those days! Two or 3 of our tries had very dodgy groundings.

Bencher
How exciting were those high flying Sea eagles , Gartner , Snoz , Rowdy

Killer , Williams and Iro were not slouchers either as they had the flair to do damage and get the job done

What I liked about all those Manly players is

All those players where capable of more than just holding their own

They were capable of owning the game in their own right .
Remember when Kevin Iro was on fire, super big and fast. Pity it wasn't regular though. He had everything.

The Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton
Tipping Comp 2021
Now they are centres!! Plus Brett!!! Even Hoppa was quick then.
Sea eagle backs are meant to fly over the opposition and over the try line and win games in their own right feathered friend

Our Great Club was made great by Great players

Mediocre does does not stand for Manly but only Magnificence does

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
24 21 3 499 44
24 21 3 390 44
24 20 4 322 42
24 16 8 252 34
24 16 8 141 34
24 15 9 109 32
24 12 12 -143 26