QUESTIONS for the Current Board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ramrod

Reserve Grader
QUESTIONS for any member of the Current Board:

I would still consider myself a swinging voter for this Football Club Board elections and I may still go either way.

I read and hear a lot from the current board's supporters that if we vote for the other mob, ...

1. Our Manly world will come to an abrupt end.
2. It's implied that Tooves ONLY has the current board's support and no one else.
3. It's also implied that we will lose our successful General Manager, David Perry, if another mob gets elected.
4. In the Manly Daily, Bob Reilly said, "his board fights for members rights"? Specifically?? Vague!
5. It's also implied that Max Krilich, Alan Thompson, Ray Brown and co. are tied to the Penns as their puppets - despite Ray and co. declaring in the newspapers that they are independent and paid for their own campaign.

WHAT I WANT TO KNOW... in particular is point 4.
- Please list all the members rights that you have campaigned for.
- Please list the ones you have campaigned for that the Penn group has objected to (you need not be afraid if you are speaking the truth).

** Please ensure you are truthful as this is a public forum and I don't wish you to be tied up with more legal issues for anything that's contradictory to facts and the truth.
** Please state your name when you answer and I'll only be concerned with the answers that derived from a member of the current board.

At least this way, us voting members can determine for ourselves what we are really dealing with here.

Interesting questions Ramrod and I too would like to hear some answers.

Meanwhile, let's not forget that the rival ticket is predicated on the assertion that our Manly world will come crashing down if they are not elected.

I fielded a call from Max Krilich last night who graciously took his time to discuss his position with a run of the mill rank & file member, for which I thank him.

The points he stressed were these, as I recall:

1. The players are perturbed by 'the infighting'.
2. The Leagues Club is part of the fabric of Manly's great history and must be supported
3. The current board just vote with Quantum on everything and hence by implication obstructionist (my word, but I took it as his gist)
4. Some of the current board (not all) may not be appropriate persons to be on the board (again, paraphrased)
5. His team would act to address the scandalously parlous state of the Manly Junior League, 'the weakest in the league'.

FOLLOWING our conversation I was still left with A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS of my own...

- Does it matter if the players are perturbed so long as they can continue to fight tooth and nail with courage and unmatched spirit for the Sea eagles cause, as they have done consistently over recent years?

- The Leagues Club does not figure in their glossy brochure, so why was this a key point that Max stressed to me?

- What was it exactly that Quantum voted for that the Penn's voted against, and vice versa?

- With their ties to the Leagues Club and Gaming industry, how could the rival ticket be truly independent from Penn when he is landlord of the Leagues Club and the Leagues Club owes huge rental payments to Penn?

I liked Max's point 5.

IS the real issue whether or not it is appropriate for the major shareholder to have control of the board?? There are arguments both ways.

It is harder to answer when both camps appear to be saying publicly something less than what they really perceive the issues to be.

Actually another question I'd like answered is why do two of the challengers describe their place of employment as a "multinational organisation". Are they embarrassed about working for Aristocrat ?

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Interesting questions Ramrod and I too would like to hear some answers.

Meanwhile, let's not forget that the rival ticket is predicated on the assertion that our Manly world will come crashing down if they are not elected.

I fielded a call from Max Krilich last night who graciously took his time to discuss his position with a run of the mill rank & file member, for which I thank him.

The points he stressed were these, as I recall:

1. The players are perturbed by 'the infighting'.
2. The Leagues Club is part of the fabric of Manly's great history and must be supported
3. The current board just vote with Quantum on everything and hence by implication obstructionist (my word, but I took it as his gist)
4. Some of the current board (not all) may not be appropriate persons to be on the board (again, paraphrased)
5. His team would act to address the scandalously parlous state of the Manly Junior League, 'the weakest in the league'.

FOLLOWING our conversation I was still left with A NUMBER OF QUESTIONS of my own...

- Does it matter if the players are perturbed so long as they can continue to fight tooth and nail with courage and unmatched spirit for the Sea eagles cause, as they have done consistently over recent years?

- The Leagues Club does not figure in their glossy brochure, so why was this a key point that Max stressed to me?

- What was it exactly that Quantum voted for that the Penn's voted against, and vice versa?

- With their ties to the Leagues Club and Gaming industry, how could the rival ticket be truly independent from Penn when he is landlord of the Leagues Club and the Leagues Club owes huge rental payments to Penn?

I liked Max's point 5.

IS the real issue whether or not it is appropriate for the major shareholder to have control of the board?? There are arguments both ways.

It is harder to answer when both camps appear to be saying publicly something less than what they really perceive the issues to be.

Thanks for your input, SER8.

Going over your points, ...

1. It didn't seem to affect the players this year, but do we really know what they feel inside? Also, will such an image of the club's disharmony damage our brand and restrict our ability to source more sponsorship revenue?

2. I love the Leagues club and its history. I know "some" fans are indifferent to it but it's been the place I have been going to when I feel the need for a home away from home. I have always identified it with the players and have great memories of mingling with players there (even though the board rather not spend a HUGE $60 per head and opt for a freebie elsewhere). Duh.

3. This is interesting. I'd like to know what the heck is Quantum and Penn have differences about. I just hope it's not because of the wallpaper in the bathrooms and who gets to use the executive key! Seriously, until members can have some light to these issues, I don't have the trust for any side.

4. Agreed. I like some of the ones on the board right now. In particular, I think Bob Stevenson and Chris Jones seem like stand-up guys. Just the initial perceptions as I don't "really" know them. However, the other ......

5. Agreed. The Leagues club has always supported the Junior League. Without the Junior League, we would be just like Easts. Just go through the tonnes of juniors we have graded and I cannot take it lightly that we can allow the junior league to die on the Northern Beaches. It pains me to see those VFL and soccer promotions around here. Makes me wanna hurl.

RE: Pokies and Gambling:
I have no issue with the gambling industry. Caveat emptor. No one force anybody to stick the coins in. I'm all for it.

The Leagues club was built to house pokies to fund the footy since day dot. It was the house that Jack Martin, Gordon Willoughby, et al, built. It was also a place where Manly folks could get together in a social club manner. It may not mean much to some, but it means a lot to me as part of Manly history.

--- back to the questions, I hope members of the current board will have the courage to answer what all the kerfuffle is about between Penn, Quantum and the board. I think everyone has a right to know before we throw our vote.

If they don't know how to start, try something like... eg. I want this coffee table for the lounge but the other bloke demanded to have a flowerpot there instead. FIGHT!

*** Put all the contentions here and let us decide who the knucklehead is. SIMPLE AS THAT. The plain facts with no embellishments. We'll decide for ourselves.

--

You mention Bob Stevenson and he is the only one I know well enough to say he continues to have my support, which he does. Bob is more than capable of answering for himself, but he has explained to me in the past about the difficulty of disclosing publicly what some of the points of difference are:

"Any stuff at Sea Eagles level we're involved in is generally commercial in confidence."

With respect to some other board decisions: "Going public that [issue XYZ] didn't have the full support of the board was not a good luck [sic] but some felt that leaking it to the press would further their agenda unfortunately so I guess we're dammed if we do and dammed if we don't."

These are legitimate considerations with respect to public discussion, and Silvertails is public discussion –not limited to FC members – so that remains a problem for non-members. Anyone who knows Bob understands he is very forthcoming when approached by members who have questions …

One might argue it is up to the new ticket to specify which were the problem issues for the current board on which they, the new group, will take a different approach. Given that they are saying they will still be making their own independent decisions...

I'd like to get a gang of the most negative Silvertails posters and run my own ticket. We wouldn't need to know anything about being on a board or even rugby league because we would vote everything down and always pick faults with everything.

Ramrod -
In way of an introduction and to your point I'm Bob Stevenson, Deputy Chairman of the MWRLFC and I'm standing for re-election to the board of the Football Club.

I've been a board member since 2008 and have a good working knowledge of the workings of the Football Club, it's goals and the interests that our membership have expressed to me over many years.

We've taken a number of steps over the last few years to make the board more accessible and improve the communication lines and we have seen a great response to these initiatives.

As SER8 alludes to there are a number of things that won't allow an answer to each and every point you have raised and question you've asked in a public forum.

Also, invariably there are often more questions within a question when they are addressed so a "blanket" documented response will most likely lead to an extended written Q & A session rather than a more immediate explanation if I'm speaking with someone.

But, please don't take that however to mean I can't and won't answer your questions?

You may have noticed in other posts that I have actively encouraged all members to contact me with any questions they have or points they would like to discuss?

I've spoken to many members already and continue to do so and Ramrod, I'd be happy to speak with you (and of course any member who is still looking to understand why this election is the most important aspect the club has had to deal with in the last 10 years or so.)

I can be contacted by email at [email protected] or call 1300 1972 73 and leave me your contact details and I will call you as soon as I get the message (the voice mail is sent to me as an attachment to an email so I usually get them pretty quickly)

Thanks and GO MANLY!

I would encourage any of you to call bob with your questions. He put me in the picture on some matters in 2011 in a personal call. I think we would all agree that answering questions on this public forum will only give the newspapers more fodder. Call him and make your inquiries off forum.

Ramrod

In relation this statement

"2. I love the Leagues club and its history. I know "some" fans are indifferent to it but it's been the place I have been going to when I feel the need for a home away from home. I have always identified it with the players and have great memories of mingling with players there (even though the board rather not spend a HUGE $60 per head and opt for a freebie elsewhere). Duh."

Be VERY aware that the Franchise, run by David Perry, made the call on the after party for the 2013 GF.

Dave, being a financial person, simply did a "contra deal" with the Diggers on their sponsorship, no cash out of hand for the club.....just plain good business sense!!

The Football Club had NOTHING to do with that decision, Bob Reilly's ban from the Leagues Club had NOTHING to do with that decision, the Football Club Board were mere "guests" at the function and nothing else.

Everyone keeps banging on about this issue but be aware it was the same in 2011, the after party went to Miramar (that may not spelt right) for the same reasons.

In both occasions the players came to the leagues club for about 45 minutes.

And yes, like SER8 I would encourage you to call Bob, not only is Bob Deputy Chairman of the FC BUT he's a raging fan, co founder of the MWTS, stands on the hill for the games and bleeds maroon and white.

There is no one more attune to the fans needs than Bob!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
globaleagle said:
But.....he has a funny accent so I dunno.....

Yes that can be an issue, especially after about 20 Schooners @Vidmar

Well, try not to drink so much Mark?

Global Eagle in Canada thinks I speak funny eh?

It's aboot time you replied eh!

That's how Canada got it's name....

It's spelt

C eh N eh D eh!

I would have thought the obvious question was.
Can the initial constitution ( about colors, logos and where they play etc) be over ruled, changed by a board vote.

From the rumblings and innuendo about gosford and official names etc i presume it can.

Anything after that is small bikkies really

jbb/james said:
Can the initial constitution ( about colors, logos and where they play etc) be over ruled, changed by a board vote.

From the rumblings and innuendo about gosford and official names etc i presume it can.

I spoke to lady friend to day who said that she got a call last week end from the krilch team who did not know what the preference shair was. She had to get a call back from one of the candidates who new what it was. That is a real worry to me.

jbb/james said:

I think that would require an EGM and be voted on by members. I don't think the board can change the constitution in that respect.

vidmar said:
I can be contacted by email at [email protected] or call 1300 1972 73 and leave me your contact details and I will call you as soon as I get the message (the voice mail is sent to me as an attachment to an email so I usually get them pretty quickly)

Thanks and GO MANLY!

love the phone number, but it needs updating.
1300 1972 73 76 78 87 96 08 11 seems a little bit long but, & you will have to change it again next year!

vidmar said:
Ramrod -
In way of an introduction and to your point I'm Bob Stevenson, Deputy Chairman of the MWRLFC and I'm standing for re-election to the board of the Football Club.

I've been a board member since 2008 and have a good working knowledge of the workings of the Football Club, it's goals and the interests that our membership have expressed to me over many years.

We've taken a number of steps over the last few years to make the board more accessible and improve the communication lines and we have seen a great response to these initiatives.

As SER8 alludes to there are a number of things that won't allow an answer to each and every point you have raised and question you've asked in a public forum.

Also, invariably there are often more questions within a question when they are addressed so a "blanket" documented response will most likely lead to an extended written Q & A session rather than a more immediate explanation if I'm speaking with someone.

But, please don't take that however to mean I can't and won't answer your questions?

You may have noticed in other posts that I have actively encouraged all members to contact me with any questions they have or points they would like to discuss?

I've spoken to many members already and continue to do so and Ramrod, I'd be happy to speak with you (and of course any member who is still looking to understand why this election is the most important aspect the club has had to deal with in the last 10 years or so.)

Thanks and GO MANLY!

Thank you for your reply.
If all candidates were elected individually, you'll have no problems.
Can we elect individuals and not a collective group? I assume that's why people are running around collecting proxies to vote for a group.

I'm certain almost everyone whom has come across you know you to be genuine and approachable.

I also thank you for making yourself available on a one on one Q&A.
I may take you up on that.

However, the main reason why I've asked it in a public forum was to get a collective opinion on what "members rights" did the board or Reilly fought for us?

I'm curious to know the board's or its individuals' mission and values.
Right now, I (and others) do know have a clear vision of what holds dear to the board.

Quite simply, something the board is in favour of but were objected upon (such as the source of the unprofound issue of disharmony). No names or parties need to be named.

However, if you do not feel comfortable with the topics being discussed on the forum, so be it.

--

Ramrod as a self-proclaimed swinging voter it seems curious you only want to ask probing questions of the incumbents. (To which I see Bob has at least provided a response.)

Aren't you equally curious to know, for example, what 'harmony' means? Are they simply promising to be friendly and polite? Play soothing music at board meetings…!

I am being tongue in cheek, yet it's a serious question. Surely 2 former international rugby league hookers and a bunch of successful business persons aren't standing on a platform of promising to vote against their own 'mission and values' rather than risk upsetting anyone?

It might just be me (?!), but if you do happen to know the answer to that question it would assist greatly if you would share it!

Author Thomas Keneally's novel approach to Manly footy elections
JON GEDDES MANLY DAILY DECEMBER 06, 2013 4:21PM

AUTHOR and Sea Eagles supporter Thomas Keneally has written a letter to Manly football club members urging them to re-elect the current board at the upcoming elections.

The letter will be sent out to Manly district football club members tomorrow and was also signed by nine other prominent Sea Eagles identities including former star players Terry Randall, Fred Jones and Mal Cochrane.

The other signatories are former coach and CEO Graham Lowe, ground announcer Grant Goldman, actor Simon Westaway, media personality Wendy Harmer, Eagles Angel Nici Andronicus and former Manly financial backer Max Delmege.

"It's well known in footy, that if you've got a good team combination, you stick to it," the letter said.

It said for the last nine years the Sea Eagles have made every final series, appeared in four grand finals and won two.

"That's a pretty amazing record and a credit to all the people involved with the Club at every level during that time," members will be told.

Manly Sea Eagle legend Terry Randall has backed the current Manly board.

"But there are those who think we need upheaval - that we should change that winning formula.

"We don't want to be like the Parramatta Eels, whose achievements over the last two years has been two wooden spoons - something Manly has never had since coming into the competition in 1947."

The letter said the current board of Bob Reilly, Darrell Williams, Bob Stevenson, Chris Jones, Rory Muscat and Cliff Lyons have been strong and effective in representing the football club members.

They will be opposed by a group made up of former players Ray Brown, Warren Jowett, Max Krilich and Alan Thompson along with former Australian water polo captain Debbie Watson and retired tax investigator Warwick Bulmer.

"It is about integrity, stability and harmony," Brown said.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/author-thomas-keneallys-novel-approach-to-manly-footy-elections/story-fngr8iii-1226777223241

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6