QLD Cup - Tony "Believe it or not he gets worse" Williams

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
QLD Cup - Tony "Believe it or not he gets worse" Williams

He looked worse today in the QLD cup than his last few NRL games, they continually caught him out, he continually got out numbered and either can't count or is to scared to call anyone out to help him, he let in a try where my grandmother could have made the tackle, he was in position to take a hit up a few times and just chooses not too, he wondered round the field like a lost puppy dog - had one or two ok to possibly good runs but as a whole looked lost even at that level, got moved into the centres early as they where continually attacking his wing and had they not dropped the ball they would have scored 3 maybe 4 down his side.

Other worthy mentions - cuthbo as you’d expect a few dumb offloads a few good runs and plenty of handling mistakes took forever to get back onside to take a hit up.

Hall went pretty well at times.

Neaumann blew a couple of tries but beat a few people in the process of doing it – hangs onto the ball to long.

The 16 not sure who it was got them running straight and they looked a better side with him on the field his defence needs a little work though.

Quality of the game, poor heaps of handling mistakes they failed to buld any pressure, it looked like a real average game of park football – for a side that had maybe close to 800k worth of manly players running round in it they got beaten by a team of hacks and looked disinterested.

TH looked ok, I'd hate to see the completion rate it would have been lucky to be 50% - His defence is outstanding, they failed to build any pressure though so it was hard to tell, he still seems to be a solid work in progress.

Bears one 24 - 16

Re: QLD Cup - Tony "Believe it or not he gets worse" Williams

How did Junior Palau go ???

I remember Darren having some wraps on him a while back

Just looked up the list and Palau is the 16 so sounds like another good game from him

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Checked the guide - he was the 16 - looks good, a few to many arm tackles but he got them going straight when they needed too.

Williams is the worst signing since Bernard Dwyer.

Too slow to be a back and poor defence and too slow to be a forward.  Where do you put the log?

Would rather have used this money to keep hargraves.

Junior sounds like he is going great, I keep saying he is a smokey for 1st grade next year, he's a big kid but with loads of potential, its quite nice to mention a kid coming thru and then seeing him make 1st grade,

some history, I believe a gun 14/15 year old, signed with Roosters, had knee op and went backwards. Signed with us but did knee again, hopefully he is coming good,

2 years ago in 2nd game back from injury absolutely destroyed Tigers in junior game, absolutely steamrolled them (ala Les Boyd) I remember thinking we haven't had this type of kid for a long while.

Also Dean Whare from Saints toyota cup centre was the best centre I have ever seen in matts 3 years ago. Did get injured as well!!! but I heard he is getting back to top form, not real big but was lightning quick, watch him in toyota cup semis.   

Williams is struggling but I am not going to write him off totally at this stage. He has some learning to do, is young and obviously has lost confidence.

Time will tell. Crusher and co don't usually make too many mistakes long term.

Biggest disappointment since Dallas Rennie !

Surely some of you guys remember that myth............

ChuckWood link said:
Biggest disappointment since Dallas Rennie !

Surely some of you guys remember that myth............

Haha, surely we should've realised back then something was up when it was only us and Souths who were involved in a tug of war over a player no one had even heard of....

why is he still playing on the wing?

Watching Williams in the game showed to me he is really down on confidence & very unsure where to position himself in defence & no momentum in running the ball on the few times he received it. To be fair he really needs an experienced old head player to take him under their wing to give him direction & encouragement, although he really is not a back, maybe now is the time to try him in the back row for the Sunshine Coast & for Costin to get into him as coach to push him along.

KaZa link said:
why is he still playing on the wing?

good question. I thought the plan was to have him in the forwards when Brett is back..

Why are people still defending tony Williams?

If you still think he is good you really are forfeiting your right to have a valid opinion again.

Dan link said:
Why are people still defending tony Williams?

If you still think he is good you really are forfeiting your right to have a valid opinion again.

You won't get me defending Eeyore.  In my opinion he is a liability to the team.

Train him up in the forwards in the lower grades now. You can pretty much write off his 2009 NRL hopes.

He has the height and weight of a back rower, played in the centres for Parra and has played 80 mins in the wing in NRL games. Its just up to des and the staff to convert this fella into a forward that plays a hard 50 mins per game.

All you coaches can keep bagging him. But once this guy's form clicks and plays to his potential there will be humble pie all round!   

Brookvale link said:
Train him up in the forwards in the lower grades now. You can pretty much write off his 2009 NRL hopes.

He has the height and weight of a back rower, played in the centres for Parra and has played 80 mins in the wing in NRL games. Its just up to des and the staff to convert this fella into a forward that plays a hard 50 mins per game.

All you coaches can keep bagging him. But once this guy's form clicks and plays to his potential there will be humble pie all round!   

he may have the height and weight of a forward but he has the agression and capacity to play of a butterfly

Kiwi Eagle link said:

Kiwi you should learn never to listen to Darren regarding young players,he not only raved on about Junior but he pissed his pants about T-Rex.I for one can't wait for his latest player he raved about Dean Whare lets hope he is not 3 for 3 ;D

Tony was a school boy star and lower grades standout. On the basis of that form, you would be confident of him doing well in nrl, at this stage he hasn't. Des did speak about Tony in terms of injury and supporting him in the top grade. Tony did sign for 3 years so lets judge after next year.

Junior and Whare are both juniors, both had major injuries. I only tell about what I saw when at junior representative matches. They both showed lots of potential. There is a huge jump between juniors and 1st grade. I don't have a crystal ball, its trying to pass on some info about kids coming thru for people who cannot make lower grades.

Des saw Neumann as special, it didn't happen.

Reyam, I'm a 40 year old guy, the pissing my pants comment is silly. If you don't agree with what I say, that's fine and you have the right to disagree but I'd appreciate not being referred to like a silly kid. 

Have a look at reyams posts Darren, he is a knob of the hightest order who just try's to get a reaction.

ignore the fool, most people appreciate your insight on the younguns.

Agree on both counts Fro

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8