Private ownership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The debacles in the A League this year with Palmer and Tinkler highlight what can go wrong when sport clubs are in private hands.
In rugby league we now have the IC to manage our game, so won't have some of the issues that FFA has. Or will we? The issue of favoured treatment to some franchises certainly exists is league. And at least initially, the IC will be working with one hand tied behind its back.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
The debacles in the A League this year with Palmer and Tinkler highlight what can go wrong when sport clubs are in private hands.
In rugby league we now have the IC to manage our game, so won't have some of the issues that FFA has. Or will we? The issue of favoured treatment to some franchises certainly exists is league. And at least initially, the IC will be working with one hand tied behind its back.

I have spoken to Bob Reilly about this and he has said that we should have more owners at Manly not less. The model of one owner is to risky. ie Tinkler, Searle and others. No one to answer to is trouble.

He has said more people not less. He said he would like to see Penn, Quantum, U R M, L/C and football club all looking after our club. Spreading the risk.

I think after the Titans mess and what is happening at FFA i agree with him.

Yes. But an obvious problem with that model is authority. For example, board leaks. In a 'democratic' structure, it's simple - just sack them or vote them off. If they have ownership rights, might not be that straightforward.

That is exactly what I was thinking SER8, what happens when one or more faction cannot get along and each have their own personal agenda to pursue.

This isn't an easy one to answer and each point of view has its merits if we all get along in the ideal world (fairy land).

To be honest I am sick of hearing about leaks, contracts, who is staying and going, where we play, condition of Brookie oval etc etc but I can’t help but stop thinking (I know I need to get over it) but ever since the super league war and the northern eagles our club has never been the same. Murdoch, Ribot, news limited and the rest of the cronies have a lot to be accountable for in the way they have damaged the game and it’s something I will never forgive or forget about.

All I want is to talk about football not the other crap that is going on.

OneEyedEagle said:
That is exactly what I was thinking SER8, what happens when one or more faction cannot get along and each have their own personal agenda to pursue.

This isn't an easy one to answer and each point of view has its merits if we all get along in the ideal world (fairy land).

To be honest I am sick of hearing about leaks, contracts, who is staying and going, where we play, condition of Brookie oval etc etc but I can’t help but stop thinking (I know I need to get over it) but ever since the super league war and the northern eagles our club has never been the same. Murdoch, Ribot, news limited and the rest of the cronies have a lot to be accountable for in the way they have damaged the game and it’s something I will never forgive or forget about.

You get what we have had for the past few years. Eventually one sells their shares and the problem comes to a natural head. There is only so long someone will stay in business when it becomes difficult to do so

The problem with private owners is that basically the majority of them have massive egos. You don't become that successful by being a shrinking violet and going with the flow. Consequently they are used to getting their own way and like to have total control, which is not always a good situation for something like ownership of a sporting team. Look at how Tinkler and Palmer have carried on as a prime example, they turn everything into a pi$$ing competition because that's how they perceive that life is measured. Penn maybe different, I don't know the guy personally, but there aren't a lot of benevolent dictators around.

The bigger problem with private ownership is the financial rock upon which these entities sit. Delmege had his problems and now it seems Tinkler might just have his own. His millions exist on paper only and it's the cash flow that presents problems. The coming weeks will see if his money is real or not. There's a shareholder meeting next week that will seal his fate when Aston Resources is due to vote on a proposed merger with Whitehaven Coal. Why would he dump the Jets soccer team if the other entities, racehorses, Knights etc are making money? Are they? No cash flow in, only cash out perhaps?

I'm on the other opinion FFA has done an ordinary job lately and the owners of teams have every right to ask for the business plan.
Losing 1 club is sustainable but losing 2 to basically the same reason people should be looking at the FFA.
Wonder what Tony Sage thinks of all this

Couldn't agree more Eagles2win. Frank Lowey seems to run this organization as his personal plaything. And with his hand firmly in the Federal Government's pocket.

lovefooty said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

I have spoken to Bob Reilly about this and he has said that we should have more owners at Manly not less. The model of one owner is to risky. ie Tinkler, Searle and others. No one to answer to is trouble.

He has said more people not less. He said he would like to see Penn, Quantum, U R M, L/C and football club all looking after our club. Spreading the risk.

I think after the Titans mess and what is happening at FFA i agree with him.

Might as well get URM involved. The Leagues club no longer contributes financially.

I'm not too concerned about one or multiple owners providing that the one owner option is financially viable long term to maintain financial support and multiple owners can cut out the crap as we have seen in the years gone by with our own club or at least keep it in house and not play it out in the media with more leaks than a sinking TITANIC.

OneEyedEagle said:
I'm not too concerned about one or multiple owners providing that the one owner option is financially viable long term to maintain financial support and multiple owners can cut out the crap as we have seen in the years gone by with our own club or at least keep it in house and not play it out in the media with more leaks than a sinking TITANIC.

From what I have seen it appears that the Penns and Delmege both used the media to have a crack at each other.

With money comes ego and that drives them to belong. There is no other business that you could buy that would deliver that.

Daniel said:
OneEyedEagle said:

You get what we have had for the past few years.

Lots of success.... 2 Premierships!

DSM5 said:
The bigger problem with private ownership is the financial rock upon which these entities sit. Delmege had his problems and now it seems Tinkler might just have his own. His millions exist on paper only and it's the cash flow that presents problems. The coming weeks will see if his money is real or not. There's a shareholder meeting next week that will seal his fate when Aston Resources is due to vote on a proposed merger with Whitehaven Coal. Why would he dump the Jets soccer team if the other entities, racehorses, Knights etc are making money? Are they? No cash flow in, only cash out perhaps?

Tinkles nearly didn't get the Knights as he couldn't come up with an amount of cash minuscule for a so-called billionaire. At least both Delmege and the Penns have stumped up significantly for the Sea Eagles and/ or got out when they could no longer do so.

bones said:
Daniel said:
OneEyedEagle said:

You get what we have had for the past few years.

Lots of success.... 2 Premierships!

I'm not disputing with that Bones, don't get me wrong or think I am ungrateful. I know a lot of success has come our way. It’s just been agonising seeing our club self implode almost.

It’s been like this basically since the Northern Eagle days.

I am thinking of the bigger picture.

All the negativity associated with ownership has tarnished the wins to a degree, probably set us back from corporate sponsorship and also it affected retention of some players and a coach (I am assuming).

Whatever problems we have with our evolving ownership structure are dwarfed by comparison with what's happened to Gold Coast United and the Jets. You can throw in the Melbourne Storm as far as I'm concerned.

The danger when control goes to someone – company or individual - simply because they are rich is that they can use their team to suit whatever agenda they may have from time to time. At times this will be blatantly contrary to the interests of the team.

Our ownership model is a work in progress but I'm relieved we aren't owned by a Palmer or Tinkler – or News Ltd.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Whatever problems we have with our evolving ownership structure are dwarfed by comparison with what's happened to Gold Coast United and the Jets. You can throw in the Melbourne Storm as far as I'm concerned.

The danger when control goes to someone – company or individual - simply because they are rich is that they can use their team to suit whatever agenda they may have from time to time. At times this will be blatantly contrary to the interests of the team.

Our ownership model is a work in progress but I'm relieved we aren't owned by a Palmer or Tinkler – or News Ltd.

Totally agree. Our owners are not as fortunate as other NRL owners who play out of modern government stadia ie. Broncos - Suncorp, Titans - Robina, Newcastle - Hunter Stadium?, Storm - Melbourne Park. . .
Our biggest issue is the quality of our home ground, and it is frustrating for all that Brookie can't host larger crowds in more comfort.
I am mindful of many overseas examples of private owners shifting a team interstate, or even to another country in the case of American baseball. It's dangerous having such decision-making power in the hands of one person.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4