PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Knights v Manly [Round 5, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Without Tom Turbo we will defintiely be heading into every game as underdogs - a scenario that probably suits Des down to the ground. We'll know each week we have to be highly focussed and organised even to have a chance. If we rise to that challenge we'll have the basis of a solid outfit by the time Tommy returns.
Manly by 1

Without Tom Turbo we will defintiely be heading into every game as underdogs - a scenario that probably suits Des down to the ground. We'll know each week we have to be highly focussed and organised even to have a chance. If we rise to that challenge we'll have the basis of a solid outfit by the time Tommy returns.
Manly by 1

Another GP win and the nrl will immediately rush in those points changes!

r05_preview5_knights-seaeagles.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

Knights v Sea Eagles: Round 5 preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 9 Apr 2019, 09:01 AM
This is a massive game for the Knights after starting the season with losses in three of their first four games.

It doesn't matter that the losses were by a combined 10 points - wins are the only thing that counts for a team that is supposed to be top eight material.

They haven't scored more than 14 points in any game and Nathan Brown has to keep tinkering with his team's offence if they are going to play in the post-season.

Manly defied the odds to overcome the Rabbitohs after losing Tom Trbojevic and there's no reason why they can't carry that same conviction into this week's clash and spring another upset.

sea-eagles-badge.svg

The Rundown
Key match-up
Mitchell Pearce has to raise the bar if the Knights are going to live up to expectations in 2019. He has to quickly get used to new halves partner Mason Lino and get this team's attack into gear. Pearce has a tough battle ahead with Daly Cherry-Evans, who has played well in the past two games after a slow start to the season.

For the Knights to win
Defence hasn't been a problem as such, but scoring points has. They need to build pressure with strong running and quick play-the-balls to give Pearce and Kalyn Ponga more space to create scoring chances. Pearce is due for a big game and Saturday might be the day.

For the Sea Eagles to win
They will no doubt miss Trbojevic, but the Sea Eagles have learned a bit about themselves over the past fortnight and Des Hasler has a knack for making players believe that it's all about the system rather than what one person brings to the table. They face a somewhat desperate Knights on Saturday and will be counting on strong leadership from Cherry-Evans and the inspirational Jake Trbojevic.

Brett Kimmorley says
Dessie is getting Manly to play tough and grind out wins, they are very good defensively. Martin Taupau and Addin Fonua-Blake have been really good in the middle. If they can get Daly Cherry-Evans some time to play it will really help. For Newcastle, we saw David Klemmer make a massive statement in week one but we haven’t seen that performance from him since. Kalyn Ponga looked much more comfortable back at fullback. Knights by 1

Knights Stat Attack
Dave Klemmer hasn't let anyone down since arriving at the Knights this season. Klemmer is first in the NRL in post contact metres (294), second in runs (81) and fourth in run metres (769).

Sea Eagles Stat Attack
Manly overcame the Bunnies despite a horrible completion rate (58%) and eight more mistakes than the opposition. Jake Trbojevic rolled his sleeves up with 45 tackles and Marty Taupau ran for 206m - both team-highs.

And another thing ...
Manase Fainu continues to turn heads with his lively performances off the bench for the Sea Eagles. Used as a back-up hooker to Api Koroisau, Fainu played a key role in the 13-12 win over the Rabbitohs, making 35 tackles, four tackle breaks and scoring a crucial try in 52 minutes of game time.

I assume the backline with be Elliott, Taufua, Suli, Parker, Garrick, Elgey and DCE. Its a solid backline without being spectacular. The backline wont win us the game (except for DCE) but it wont lose it for us either. The match will be determined in the forwards again. I will be interested in how Suli performs after detention for not doing his home work. We could see a marked improvement...at least I hope so.

I haven't seen Ferris in the Knights team this year.

Is he injured or redundant @:cool:
He's in the Knights' Canterbury Cup team. I've noticed he's been a reserve this year but he's only played in 1sts in round 3 off the bench.

Sadly I think the only injury he's had is to his pride :tmi:

Poor Jamie, has Manly blood in his veins and given the chance I'm sure he'd come back in a heartbeat.

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Coach Des Hasler has named his team to play Newcastle Knights at McDonald Jones Stadium on Saturday, April 13.

Captain Daly Cherry-Evans will play his 200th NRL game.

Manly team

1 Brendan Elliot

2 Jorge Taufua

3 Moses Suli

4 Brad Parker

5 Reuben Garrick

6 Kane Elgey

7 Daly Cherry-Evans (c)

8 Addin Fonua-Blake

9 Apisai Koroisau

10 Martin Taupau

11 Joel Thompson

12 Curtis Sironen

13 Jake Trbojevic

Interchange

14 Manase Fainu

15 Jack Gosiewski

16 Corey Waddell

17 Toafofoa Sipley

18 Trent Hodkinson

19 Lachlan Croker

20 Kelepi Tanginoa

21 Taniela Paseka

This will be 3 wins in a row for us

It will be tough at Newcastle but we have proven that when the going gets tough

we now soar like Manly Sea eagles and prevail !!!

Our resilience and winning momentum will continue

hqdefault.jpg

The Knights have struggled scoring points, and closing their games out. It's good to see Suli is back in, he give us better depth, and Croker must be going well to be back on the extended bench. We hung in well last week after losing Turbo, and Tafua has really stepped up since the calls came out for his exit. Good to see Waddell and Taupau fit to play as well. Not sure how many points we have in us, but DCE having his 200th game would have to give us the edge. Manly by 7.

Well after losing a point last week I’m picking the Sea Eagles.

I think despite the loss of Turbo we’ve discovered how to grind out a win.

Manly by........not a lot!!

Will be a tight game but think we will fire early and hold on. Manly by 7
We lose if we let the fans get into their heads as our psychological struggles without tommy trbo may be manipulated. We lose his energy/all the drama may be putting some doubt into their ability without him

Last edited by a moderator:
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6