Poor ol' Brookie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Last night one of the old wooden bench seats at the southern end broke up from wood-rot (presumably a heavy person made the mistake of sitting on it), leaving a large section of jagged pieces of wood.

The thought occurred to me - what a shame Abbott didn't sit on it and end up with a splintered backside! Maybe THEN he would urgently orchestrate the upgrade Brookie so badly needs!

He paid lip service last night to wanting Brookie to be upgraded. I hope he can do something, but he's only the Prime Minister.

The Council want the Sea Eagles gone. The community want the ground turned into a park.

Major upgrade would be highly unlikely.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
He paid lip service last night to wanting Brookie to be upgraded. I hope he can do something, but he's only the Prime Minister.

John Howard didn't seem to have a problem handing out cash to his beloved Dragons so they could upgrade Kogarah when he was PM......

But then again, Manly supporter or not I'd rather Little Johnny as PM than Costello's comedy partner.

The money is a minor part of the puzzle, the real problem is the Council. They have total control of any development consent and also the people that live nearby will be up in arms at any suggested upgrade.

But the council had plans drawn up for some upgrade options a couple of years ago. Pretty sure it was the council, not the club that did that. I think...

My theory is that any plans the council come up with regarding the layout should not go through. Should keep the current layout, just re-do the Jane Try and FM Stand and the concourse areas infront of them. The add seats where the benches are in front of the hill.

Instead of having the concourse areas on the West and South sides, just start the stands from the fence up.

It's frustrating when you see the amount of money Slimy John pork barrelled into Kogarah. We need to try and make it a multi use facility and get some other sports playing out of there so the Council can justify it as a community asset.

castle eagle said:
anyone know what the two poles are that are mounted behind the try lines at each end?

Camera mounts. They give a high angle view down from head-on. Used a few times during the game for video reviews.

Story in the Sunday Telegraph that there will be no more funding for suburban grounds.

Brookvale, Shark Park etc are all officially dead now.

Not necessarily (I hope). NSW Sport minister just on radio saying they couldn't justify continuing to fund grounds 'that host 3 games per year', which would be Leichhardt and Kogarah. A third major stadium is mooted but would be out west (Minister is a Penrith man).

While it's fate is not yet sealed, Brookie's survival certainly depends upon Manly forming a joint proposal with other northern-based codes/teams, for a modern 20,000 seat facility that will be used multiple times per year.

bob dylan said:
Story in the Sunday Telegraph that there will be no more funding for suburban grounds.

So, we have a paradox. Who to believe. The Sunday telegraph or our no.1 fan. Both have a remarkably poor record of telling the truth. Toss a coin hey.

Jerry1 said:
bob dylan said:

So, we have a paradox. Who to believe. The Sunday telegraph or our no.1 fan. Both have a remarkably poor record of telling the truth. Toss a coin hey.

One speaks for the state gov the other the federal but they both would hate to lose the nth beaches "safe seat"

I think a voter backlash (in advance) might wake the state boys up.

Well if they aren't going to fund the fixing up of Brookie or a north side stadium, they can fund a transport system from Palm Beach via Manly to the SFS front door. Otherwise Manly will be a dead club. No Manly fans are going to make the SFS their home ground. Imagine trying to get there on a Friday or Saturday night every fortnight.

Brissie Kid said:
Well if they aren't going to fund the fixing up of Brookie or a north side stadium, they can fund a transport system from Palm Beach via Manly to the SFS front door. Otherwise Manly will be a dead club. No Manly fans are going to make the SFS their home ground. Imagine trying to get there on a Friday or Saturday night every fortnight.

Spot on BK. Unfortunately that's the truth of the matter.

Our only hope (apart from winning lotto) is there's a state election next year :idea: Which leads to why would the govt say this now and dissuade fans? :huh:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6