Playing surface - type of grass on Brookvale Oval?

Eagles Nest 08

Reserve Grader
You do marvel at these modern sporting grounds and the grass playing surfaces these days. Some look like carpet (so green with today’s modern fertilisers) and it makes the footage of the 80’s and (even the 90’s) how worn & torn the fields did get back then.

Brookvale Oval (Warringah Council) did spend some money a few years ago (upgrading the surface) I recall?, but was it to the same standard as other grounds?

Brookvale Oval has been rough (the playing service) for some years and after Friday’s night game looks wrecked for the remaining year! Is there a new type of grass that can be laid if we had $500k to spend on the surface? or would it cost more? Do we have a drainage problem?

Really have to ask if the Bookvale Oval surface is up to the NRL standards. It would be nice to know if we have the same playing surface like an example ... Shark Park (another suburban ground).

RE: Player surface - type of grass on Brookvale Oval?

I think the issue was the amount of rain we had in a short time that afternoon, + the decision to go ahead with Holden Cup prior to the main game.

I read 22mm fell that arvo on the northside. Maybe the junior game should have been postponed.

Brookie looks like it has a mixture of kikuyu over sewn with rye grass, and no drainage what so ever ! There in lies the issue, !! A stadium like bluetongue has magnificent drainage, the grass is couch over sewn with rye grass, it's exceptional on foot, and the soil structure is sand based as to act for fast drainage ! Fertilisers programs are commenced in winter and spring ! The issue is the drainage, Brooke doesn't have any, and the soil structure is not sand based, the numb nut council has probably assumed its sand based due to the fact it's on the beaches !

And good luck getting any top level soccer games played at Brookie until that changes.

The A league (mariners) would be crucifying their players by putting them on a surface like brookvale ! Couch over sewn with rye grass is the go, with a nice course river sand as the soil base and some drainage to go with it, it would cost a few hundred thousand to do !

Brookvale Oval turf cover is predominantly kikuyu and there is a dense thatch (organic layer below turf) over the whole field resulting in a very spongy surface. There is a variable depth of slowly draining topsoil and a slight diagonal slope across the surface. Brookvale Oval's playing surface has had extensive drainage works, and more recently underwent a sand slitting process across the surface. The centre and main wear areas are turfed yearly at the end of every season, with extensive over sowing of rye seed throughout the Winter. Numerous maintenance programs occur throughout the year including aeration.

It says that they've done extensive works for drainage, pigs ass !! As a greenkeeper/horti there's no way ! Kikuyu is a terrible
Choice of turf for a professional sports ground !

Drainage is the problem as the oval is directly under a large hill, so all the saturated rain water flows directly onto it.

The sandy surfaces of ANZ and Etihad were/are also a major problem, as the grass was sliding off the sand under the Players feet :s

BTW, for 2 years now, there is construction site outside of the Gents/Ladies Toilets under the Arthurson Stand. The congestion at half time, as people only have about a meter of pathway to pass each other, is ridiculous :mad:

There is no Ladies toilets at all at the NW end of the Jane Try Stand :mad: :mad:

bennyeagle said:
The A league (mariners) would be crucifying their players by putting them on a surface like brookvale ! Couch over sewn with rye grass is the go, with a nice course river sand as the soil base and some drainage to go with it, it would cost a few hundred thousand to do !

Brookvale Oval turf cover is predominantly kikuyu and there is a dense thatch (organic layer below turf) over the whole field resulting in a very spongy surface. There is a variable depth of slowly draining topsoil and a slight diagonal slope across the surface. Brookvale Oval's playing surface has had extensive drainage works, and more recently underwent a sand slitting process across the surface. The centre and main wear areas are turfed yearly at the end of every season, with extensive over sowing of rye seed throughout the Winter. Numerous maintenance programs occur throughout the year including aeration.

It says that they've done extensive works for drainage, pigs ass !! As a greenkeeper/horti there's no way ! Kikuyu is a terrible

How do you know this stuff, I'm impressed

Shoe1 said:
bennyeagle said:

How do you know this stuff, I'm impressed

I'm a greenkeeper and also qualified as a gardener, landscaper and arborist, it's my fortay! This topic interests me a lot, brookies surface has been absolutely dreadful for years !!!

Why did they rip up the drains that used to be there?

Take into consideration the aspects of where the oval is situated, it spells disaster (beneath hill, predominantly shaded area, the hill itself !! It creates a water table, and the water held under the surface would be stagnant and rotten, breaking down organisms that would enhance the turfs appearance !

And kikuyu is a full sun tolerant grass, league is played in winter, sports parks use kikuyu, council has cut costs big time !!

Just an observation but the corner of the field and behind the goal where we were sitting at aami park a few weeks ago was a total bog, fair enough it was the off field but it is also a brand new stadium which should have a great new drainage system. I think it shows that with a big downpour even the best/newest grounds have a issue with drainage

Rabbids almost drowned a few years back in Perth - new stadium.

Even Johnny Lang dived in at the end because it looked so inviting :D

"forte"

:p

Meh, c'mon guys...even Noah couldn't visit his local golf course on the 39th day!!

bennyeagle said:
I'm a greenkeeper and also qualified as a gardener, landscaper and arborist, it's my fortay! This topic interests me a lot, brookies surface has been absolutely dreadful for years !!!
Oh good, I've always wanted to ask someone - how do you get it to grow greener on the other side?

Team P W L PD Pts
2 2 0 36 4
2 2 0 26 4
2 2 0 23 4
2 2 0 19 4
2 2 0 12 4
2 1 1 13 2
2 1 1 10 2
2 1 1 3 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 0 2
2 1 1 -14 2