Players tell Sea Eagles they want Cartwright to be coach

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Manly players have approached the club to throw their support behind John Cartwright to replace Trent Barrett as coach when he is expected to leave at the end of the season.

The players are slowly coming to terms with the forthcoming departure of Barrett and were given an honest update of the club’s predicament by chief executive Lyall Gorman during the week.

Gorman met a number of Manly’s senior players to discuss the quandary the club now finds itself in, with a number of those players pushing for Cartwright to move from assistant into the head coach role.

Cartwright recently extended his contract at the club for a further two seasons despite the uncertainty around Barrett’s future.

While Manly fans have thrown their support behind a potential Geoff Toovey or Des Hasler return to Brookvale, it has been knocked on the head by chairman Scott Penn in a NewsCorp report.
It’s no secret the senior players are huge admirers of Barrett and are disappointed in the way recent events have unfolded, with skipper Daly Cherry-Evans expressing his dismay in the post-match press conference after last Friday's dramatic collapse on home turf to lose to the Titans.

It’s part of the reason Gorman organised the meeting with the club’s big-name players, as the Sea Eagles look to avoid a player revolt over the handling of the Barrett situation.

Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic has also backed Cartwright as Barrett’s successor.

"We love Baz and it’s unfortunate the situation we find ourselves in," Trbojevic said.

"But if he isn’t here we have someone at the club ready to take control. The boys have a lot of respect for Carty. He understands what we’ve been through and has a great relationship with everyone here. He’s got my support to coach this club if Baz isn’t here."

Cartwright, who has also worked as an assistant with NSW at different stages in recent years, was the inaugural coach of the Gold Coast Titans, winning 45 per cent of his matches over eight years, including two finals series appearances.

Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 22 Aug 2018, 10:46 AM

Ok. I understand keeping the players happy, and in giving Cartwright a promotion, it could help to keep the momentum built up over the last 3 seasons.... but seriously? Do the players not have any ambition? I find it staggering, especially when you have the likes of Toovey, Hasler and Maguire waiting in the wings for another crack.

Cartwright might be a good bloke (surely he is) but he is not the right man to lead the club out of this self-inflicted hole. I could be ok with this IF Cartwright brings back Toovey as an Assistant, but the chances of that happening are buckleys.

Oh dear......

I can see this happening.

The players know what they will get with Cartwright so I can imagine it’s a “better the devil you know” situation with some of them.

The Penns will go for it as he won’t command a high salary and is already contracted.

I had convinced myself that it was to be Neil Henry but after that article, I think it will be Cartwright.

I didn’t give him a chance at the start of this process. :wasntme:

giphy.gif

just so long as he is not seen smiling in the coaches box again, if we get beaten by his beloved Penrith .... you just beat me MANLYFAN76

Players are only out for improvement. Near wooden spoon just isn't good enough :banghead:

His input at Manly in recent times as defensive coach is arguably the worst structured, undisciplined and uncommitted Manly team in history and to score 30 + points of footy in attack, yet still lose the footy game, is a true indication that the Titanic has hit the iceberg and we are hanging upside down to the ship, which has officially split in 2 ..... pray for a dinghy Jack!!

The players need to be told to pull their heads in and to concentrate on winning the last two games. They shouldn't be buying into this at all.

Mate I am sure the players didn't buy into it ..... simply responded to questions posed by Gorman et al ...

Gorman .... do you fellows have a problem with Cartwright.
Players ...No, he's OK ....

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6