Players Guilty?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
How can players have a contract registered with the NRL for one amount and be paid more than that - and not know. Surely their tax returns would also be obviously different.

The story today of a girlfriend of a Storm player telling of extra cash given makes it clear that this whole think stinks a whole lot more!!!

tell me, how often do you do a back count on your weekly salary. I get paid monthly and the amount varies every month, partly because of exchange rates but partly because of my structure, so even though I am on a certain salary, some months I get more some I get less. only needs to be a few hundred each week to add up for some

I check my pay very carefully and am quick to note any errors etc. However, Dan does make a good point as some League players can probably only count to 6 and rely on their managers to do the hard yards as regards to tax, payments etc. Still doesn't explain the paper bag payments and perks etc

yeah but if most of it came through a normal deposit in your bank account and a bit more randomly came in cash you might wonder what was up

If it comes from 2 different sources it would be pretty obvious to me.  However if they were given a contract which said $150k but the one given to the NRL said $100k but $50k came from elsewhere to the players I could see how they did not know, well give them the benefit of the doubt.

Players aren't very bright remember and probably would trust their manager and club.

I mean I wouldn't be surprised if the coach knows, but he might not have but I doubt too many players did.

If you're trying to keep something like this secret you let as few people know as possible.

If you say they are guilty then you are assuming they knew/know exactly how much every other player in that top 25 earn. In an office of 15 I know approx what maybe 4 people are on.

So really they may have been getting more but how are they to know thatvthe club is over the cap

I am not saying they knew what everyone was on.  However if they were getting money from 2 sources it must raise suspicions when u play for the most dominate side of the decade in the day of the salary cap.

There are multiple reasons when you are talking in the dollars these blokes are. Another 1000 or so here and there could go by without too much notice.

Some of them also probably might have had an inkling. Now that all assumes tge players actually know all the salary cap rules. Their managers would have more idea and given they as re a small group they would have been able to put 2 and 2 together. In my opinion anyway

So what you are saying dan is your :eek:ffuce is restricted to a known amount and you and your 4 mates knows exactly what you are getting from your 2- 5 different payers?

Seririously, i am rather dissapointed in your post, in general you post with logic and thought, guess you have been in QLD too long, we are all too dub now type thing

Short of it:

How many people get paid more than once per period?

SFA is the answer, hence those getton say 20K on the 1st and 5K on the 15th knew they were dodgy

Those with multiple revenue streams, say through advertising agreements that they get through things like say a football player who get their own deal with someone like Nike etc

do you know of anyone that might fall under that sort of arrangements?

load of carp

im my main emplyer was paying me 80% of my pay and is was getting in cash the other 20% i would be extremely suspicious

but i suppose IT is not as straight forward?

I resent that, there wasn't a fish anywhere let a lone a a load of them

3 Storm players are about to be named.. Apparently the Storm's biggest. So I'm guessing..

Cam Smith
Billy Slater and
Greg Inglis or Cooper Cronk?

It must be a QLD thing? Haha  ;D

A club tells a player one of these:
- due to cashflow issues we need to pay you this on the x of the month and some after home games cause we have extra cash from tickets the
OR
- this other money is from a sponsor/Third party so we pay it when they pay it.
I reckon a player believes it. Especially if they trust their boss/club and no one else is complaining.

Hey they could be guilty but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they weren't in which case i feel pretty bad for them.

The solution to me seems obvious - the club should submit full details of every contract to the NRL and so should the player. I.e. The NRL
should get two copies of all player payments from two sources. That way if there is rorting a club would have to have more people involved in it - making It less likely to happen.

Look, any self respecting tradie is on to this lurk, part payment through the official books and a paper bag transaction for the rest.  Helps all out.  It is beyond credulity that the players who received the paper bags didn't know this was smelly.  The ATO will have a field day.  I blame the NRL and the auditor, who looks like coming out smelling of roses, for this debacle.  It was common knowledge that the Storm, and a few other teams were on the nose.  Shubert was either asleep at the wheel, or just negligent.  Either way he should go. 

Was it actually in paper bags? Reports I read talked about bank transactions....... Sure getting paid in cash is really suss if that's the case.

Apparently the NRL doesn't get to see players tax returns I also read somewhere.

The NRL are sounding like a bunch of flat-earthers.  Are any of them at 'headquarters' computer literate?  Doubt it.  I guess it's the long lunch brigade of overweight suits in charge.  No wonder it's a reactive bunch rather than a proactive group.  Having to rely on whistle-blowers is not a good strategy for management of money. 

It's not looking good for News Limited?NRL

Club owned by News

Comp administered by News

Salary Cap investigated by News

Club audited by News

This whole scenario just reinforces the fiasco of the situation in the first place.

Given all this it is amazing that Gallop and his cronies had the balls to administer the fines. Not surprising though is that the News Directors of the NRL were excluded from the decision and now have their noses out of joint.

There will be far reaching ramifications of this whole fiasco at lots of levels.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4