Player Ratings - Round 15

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
A good win up on the Gold Coast as we beat the Titans by 18 points. But to say Des wouldn't be happy with the second half is an understatement.

Tom Trbojevic 7/10 - Not quite as good as his game against St Merge or for NSW, but he still provided enough to help Manly win. Ran for a game high 183 metres and produced yet another try assist.

Jorge Taufua 7/10 - Still slow as a wet week for a winger, but knows his way to the try line and his runs in early tackles still makes me think he might end up as a bench forward before his time is out.

Dylan Walker 5/10 - Not a great game from Dylan, though he did play most of it on one good leg. I'd like to see him get more ball from Cust out on the left. I think he's being a bit starved out there.

Moses Suli 8/10 - A good game from Moses including a rare try. He's finally playing to his potential.

Reuben Garrick 7/10 - Scored a very good try using his pace to run around Phillip Sami. Goal Kicking was still good despite missing 2 including a relatively easy one that bounced off the posts. Defensively he's still a work in progress.

Cade Cust 5/10 - Sometimes I have to remember he's still a rookie. Made some errors in the second half with a few poor passes, but the break he made before one of them was still good.

Daly Cherry-Evans 6/10 - Even when he's a bit off, he's still a bloody good halfback.

Addin Fonua-Blake 7/10 - AFB's metres are becoming normal to see aren't they. He and Marty are arguably the best 1-2 punch in the NRL right now.

Manase Fainu 8/10 - Proved he can go for 80 minutes on Saturday arvo. Topped the tackle count from both teams.

Martin Taupau 7/10 - Another solid performance from the now Samoan Kapow. Pulled off arguably the tackle of the round on Tyrone Roberts.

Joel Thompson 7/10 - Wasn't spectacular, but still stood tall on our right edge with 123 metres, 24 tackles and an offload.

Curtis Sironen 8/10 - Milestone game for the "Son of a Gun" and he produced a big one with two tries in the first half. Should never have been sent to the bin for that love tap on Brian Kelly.

Jake Trbojevic 6/10 - Solid without being great from Jake. Had a rare missed tackle during the game. I must have blinked because I can't remember when he did that. For once he didn't play the full 80.

Brendon Elliot 4/10 - Came on as a replacement at different times for Garrick (HIA) and Jorge who went off with a hamstring issue. A poor pass to DCE near halftime butchered a try, although the NRL page credited Cherry with the mistake.

Corey Waddell 5/10 - Quiet game from Corey in his first back from suspension. Didn't do much wrong though.

Morgan Boyle 5/10 - Only came on late as a replacement for Jake so didn't get much chance to show anything against his former club.

Taniela Paseka 5/10 - His runs were good, though he needs to get an offload into his game. Quiet in defence with only 6 tackles.

Our first half was very good and that's where we won the game. Unfortunately, although we still scored 10 points in the second half, we seemed to do the last 40 on cruise control and more than a few errors started creeping into our game that Des wasn't happy with. Luckily in that sense we were only playing the Titans because a better side could have run us down over the last 40 the way we went about it.

Still, a win is a win and its 2 points in the bank. Other than the way we played in the 2nd half, the biggest concern seems to be Dylan Walker's knee. Luckily we have the bye this week so he gets a fortnight to overcome it.

A good result winning 30-12 going into the bye, but it would have been a lot better if we had gone on with the job because for and against could determine ladder placings at the end of the minor round. The good thing is that with the bye, most will be fresh for the game against Souffs at ANZ in 2 weeks time.

The only change I’d make is I don’t believe Suli and Siro were as good as each other. Siro was our best.

Paseka. I’d love to see him wind up a bit more before he hits the line .He obviously hasn’t got the leg drive off the mark of someone like Payne Hass. But he’s too big of a human not to have more of an impact.

Are these ratings based on what the players own standards are or against everyone else?

Like am I supposed to read that Jake's 6/10 is rated against his own high standards or do you think players with a higher than 6 rating had a better game for the team than Jake?

I've always wondered.

Thanks for the write ups. :)

Are these ratings based on what the players own standards are or against everyone else?

Like am I supposed to read that Jake's 6/10 is rated against his own high standards or do you think players with a higher than 6 rating had a better game for the team than Jake?

I've always wondered.

Thanks for the write ups. :)
I presume they are compared to how Holden v8 would play.

I think again pleasing for me is that we didn't play great, and yet still accounted for the Titans easily.

I'm a big believer in the old adage of 'not playing well and still winning'. To me that's always a great sign. The worry is always when you play well, or very well....and you still lose. To me we played against the Titans in 2nd gear and it was still easy.

The years we won premierships (I'm not suggesting we will this year, but who knows?) is the year in 08 and 11 when we had games where we looked very disjointed and off for a lot of the game, and yet still somehow found something to win....classic example being against the Shark in 11 when we were 13 nil down with about 10 to go. Just wasn't happening, and then we got to 13-12. DCE pops a left footed field goal....looks like we are headed for extra time. Off the kick off Jamie Lyon chips for Michael Oldfield and we win on the buzzer. I can still remember watching that game and thinking 'how on earth did we manage that????'

Cherry was probably worth at least a 7 and possibly an 8. He was more of an organising half on the weekend and less of a running 5/8. Loved his short passes to put players through gaps. He took control of the game beautifully when Siro was in the bin. A game where he did less himself but made the whole team a better unit. Cust took more control this week and it seemed that Cherry was able to pick and choose when to get involved.

Cherry was probably worth at least a 7 and possibly an 8. He was more of an organising half on the weekend and less of a running 5/8. Loved his short passes to put players through gaps. He took control of the game beautifully when Siro was in the bin. A game where he did less himself but made the whole team a better unit. Cust took more control this week and it seemed that Cherry was able to pick and choose when to get involved.
Totally agree. From behind the posts you could see Cherry always directing the team through his field positioning, and playing a vital role in key plays. He has really lifted in his team management skills. Him and Tommy are very in tune with each other too. Cherry is playing and excellent Captain's role this year.
Hat's off to you Captain Cherry.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7