Player Ratings - Rd.15 vs St Merge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Another game, another loss. But there was some improvement and in the end I think the score flattered the home side because we could have easily scored another 2 or 3 tries at least.

Tom Trbojevic 6/10 - Run Forrest, Run. Could have scored a couple tonight. Needs to be more selfish close to the line.

Jorge Taufua 5/10 - Good runs as usual, poor defensive game though.

Moses Suli 2/10 - Injured early (sternum) and was out of the game.

Brian Kelly 4/10 - Not one of his better nights defensively. Didn't see enough good ball in attack.

Akuila Uate 5/10 - Aku defending at centre is not a good idea. At least he held on to the ball tonight.

Trent Hodkinson 5/10 - As predicted played mostly at dummy half. Not bad other than that one pass. Has no running game though.

Daly Cherry-Evans 6/10 - Wasn't all that bad tonight. Can't do it alone though.

Addin Fonua-Blake 5/10 - Needed more from the big bloke. 81 metres isn't a lot for a prop.

Matthew Wright 5/10 - Didn't do much wrong really, but is no dummy half.

Martin Taupau 5/10 - Same as AFB, not enough from him tonight.

Joel Thompson 7/10 - Almost scored and was strong all night against his old club.

Frank Winterstein 4/10 - Made 29 tackles and only missed one.....but just 4 runs? Not involved enough in attack.

Jake Trbojevic 6/10 - Ran for 149 metres, but 4 missed tackles is uncharacteristic.

Brad Parker 4/10 - Poor defensively and offers little in attack.

Shaun Lane 6/10 - Went OK and made some good runs.

Taniela Paseka 5/10 - Some good runs and that hit was a pearler, but it was one of only 8 tackles.

Tom Wright 7/10 - We know his defence needs a lot of work, but was one of our few dangers with the ball in hand, but we hardly used that in the second half. That try proved he has what it takes.

Our kicking game sucks. The best kick all night almost looked like a miss-kick when DCE stabbed into the in-goal and Hunt was caught causing a repeat set after about 70 minutes. Kicking for touch when were attacking their line is pointless other than to give everyone a rest. Then again with that idiot Ferris in charge of conditioning I'm not surprised we look for as many rests as possible. In attack I lost count of the amount of times I was saying to myself "kick a bloody bomb", at least put them under some pressure......then the kick would be a grubber for touch o_O.

I hate the fact that we have a negative mindset. Seriously, we get teams on the rack in defence, get a penalty and kick for goal. If I wanted to see goal kicks every penalty we get in attack then I'd go watch union. Go for the throat. We weren't playing some park team tonight, we were playing the competition leaders. We don't need to be giving them get out of gaol free cards by kicking penalty goals.

Credit to St Merge's defence which looked good.....but its easy to look good when the attacking team is playing with little structure and seems to rely on individual efforts to score.

We do have a talented side even with the injuries and we should be capable of a lot better. Unfortunately they seem to be poorly coached which is a big reason why we're languishing in 14th spot.

Yep, 14th. We've dropped from 13th despite the Cows also losing.....but they lost by less so now their F/A is better. At least the Dogs and Doesn't-matta also lost by big margins.

Last edited:
Another game, another loss. But there was some improvement and in the end I think the score flattered the home side because we could have easily scored another 2 or 3 tries at least.

Tom Trbojevic 6/10 - Run Forrest, Run. Could have scored a couple tonight. Needs to be more selfish close to the line.

Jorge Taufua 5/10 - Good runs as usual, poor defensive game though.

Moses Suli 2/10 - Injured early (sternum) and was out of the game.

Brian Kelly 4/10 - Not one of his better nights defensively. Didn't see enough good ball in attack.

Akuila Uate 5/10 - Aku defending at centre is not a good idea. At least he held on to the ball tonight.

Trent Hodkinson 5/10 - As predicted played mostly at dummy half. Not bad other than that one pass. Has no running game though.

Daly Cherry-Evans 6/10 - Wasn't all that bad tonight. Can't do it alone though.

Addin Fonua-Blake 5/10 - Needed more from the big bloke. 81 metres isn't a lot for a prop.

Matthew Wright 5/10 - Didn't do much wrong really, but is no dummy half.

Martin Taupau 5/10 - Same as AFB, not enough from him tonight.

Joel Thompson 7/10 - Almost scored and was strong all night against his old club.

Frank Winterstein 4/10 - Made 29 tackles and only missed one.....but just 4 runs? Not involved enough in attack.

Jake Trbojevic 6/10 - Ran for 149 metres, but 4 missed tackles is uncharacteristic.

Brad Parker 4/10 - Poor defensively and offers little in attack.

Shaun Lane 6/10 - Went OK and made some good runs.

Taniela Paseka 5/10 - Some good runs and that hit was a pearler, but it was one of only 8 tackles.

Tom Wright 7/10 - We know his defence needs a lot of work, but was one of our few dangers with the ball in hand, but we hardly used that in the second half. That try proved he has what it takes.

Our kicking game sucks. The best kick all night almost looked like a miss-kick when DCE stabbed into the in-goal and Hunt was caught causing a repeat set after about 70 minutes. Kicking for touch when were attacking their line is pointless other than to give everyone a rest. Then again with that idiot Ferris in charge of conditioning I'm not surprised we look for as many rests as possible. In attack I lost count of the amount of times I was saying to myself "kick a bloody bomb", at least put them under some pressure......then the kick would be a grubber for touch o_O.

I hate the fact that we have a negative mindset. Seriously, we get teams on the rack in defence, get a penalty and kick for goal. If I wanted to see goal kicks every penalty we get in attack then I'd go watch union. Go for the throat. We weren't playing some park team tonight, we were playing the competition leaders. We don't need to be giving them get out of gaol free cards by kicking penalty goals.

Credit to St Merge's defence which looked good.....but its easy to look good when the attacking team is playing with little structure and seems to rely on individual efforts to score.

We do have a talented side even with the injuries and we should be capable of a lot better. Unfortunately they seem to be poorly coached which is a big reason why we're languishing in 14th spot.

Yep, 14th. We've dropped from 13th despite the Cows also losing.....but they lost by less so now their F/A is better. At least the Dogs and Doesn't-matta also lost by big margins.
Brad Parker... why oh why? Barrett’s brand new version of Lewis Brown. Absolutely clueless as to how this guy gets picked. I know Suli got injured, but fmd if this guy isn’t the most overrated player running around (falling over himself) He’s not quick, doesn’t have good hands and is half decent in defence at times. Surely Sipley is a better option. Unfortunately, Trent included him in a list of about six or seven players that he intends to build next season’s team around.

Dylan Walker should be back for the game against Penrith. And if all goes well, Hastings will be gone and Fainu will be upgraded to the NRL squad. Also, Tanginoa should be back on deck.

That being the case, and depending on Suli's sternum injury, for the Penrith game my team would be:

Tom Trbojevic
Jorge Taufua
Dylan Walker
Brian Kelly
Akuila Uate
Trent Hodkinson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Addin Fonua-Blake
Manase Fainu
Martin Taupau
Joel Thompson
Shaun Lane
Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Tom Wright, Taniela Paseka, Toafofoa Sipley, Kelepi Tanginoa.

Matt Wright won't be here next year so as solid as he can be, what use will he really be going forward? Parker should be back at Blacktown because he offers nothing to this team and neither offers as much as Tom Wright. And for mine, Winterstein hasn't done enough to keep a spot in the team, either starting or on the bench so I would bring Sipley back in and also have Tanginoa back in ASAP.

Last edited:
Dylan Walker should be back for the game against Penrith. And if all goes well, Hastings will be gone and Fainu will be upgraded to the NRL squad. Also, Tanginoa should be back on deck.

That being the case, and depending on Suli's sternum injury, for the Penrith game my team would be:

Tom Trbojevic
Jorge Taufua
Dylan Walker
Brian Kelly
Akuila Uate
Trent Hodkinson
Daly Cherry-Evans
Addin Fonua-Blake
Manase Fainu
Martin Taupau
Joel Thompson
Shaun Lane
Jake Trbojevic

Bench - Tom Wright, Taniela Paseka, Toafofoa Sipley, Kelepi Tanginoa.

Matt Wright won't be here next year so as solid as he can be, what use will he really be going forward? Parker should be back at Blacktown because he offers nothing to this team and neither offers as much as Tom Wright. And for mine, Winterstein hasn't done enough to keep a spot in the team, either starting or on the bench so I would bring Sipley back in and also have Tanginoa back in ASAP.

Agree if they can get Fainu on the field. I'd be almost tempted to bring Tom Wright in at 5/8, but it wont happen.

I didn't watch the game. Seems like it turned out as most of us had predicted. Why anyone thought we could beat Illawarra with that team, especially knowing that they are our bogey team, is taking happy pills.
But I did just check the stats and I see that our 5/8 made one run and gained all of two metres. How anybody can pick him to play first grade again mystifies me.

Imo 6/10 for Jake is a bit harsh, considering 149 metres and 37 tackles. Yes he missed 4 but he was our highest tackler and ran 2nd highest metres.

I didn't watch the game. Seems like it turned out as most of us had predicted. Why anyone thought we could beat Illawarra with that team, especially knowing that they are our bogey team, is taking happy pills.
But I did just check the stats and I see that our 5/8 made one run and gained all of two metres. How anybody can pick him to play first grade again mystifies me.

Hodko spent about 3/4 of the game at dummy half.

Hodkinson was never brought back to Manly to be a runner. If he was then they obviously mistook him for someone else.

Well, at least its only for this year. Next year people will have a new winger with bad reads to bash.
Mediocre is not acceptable at Manly . Mediocre does not last at Manly
images.png

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4