Pim announces his world cup socceroos squad..!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

nita

Reserve Grader
Goalkeepers

Adam Federici, 0 caps. Club: Reading (England).

Eugene Galekovic, 4 caps. Club: Adelaide United.

Brad Jones, 1 cap. Club: Middlesbrough (England).

Mark Schwarzer, 79 caps. Club: Fulham (England).

Defenders

Michael Beauchamp, 19 caps. Club: Al-Jazira (UAE).

David Carney, 23 caps. Club: FC Twente (Holland).

Scott Chipperfield, 63 caps. Club: FC Basel (Switzerland).

Shane Lowry, 0 caps. Club: Aston Villa (England).

Mark Milligan, 9 caps. Club: JEF United (Japan).

Craig Moore, 47 caps. Club: Unattached.

Lucas Neill, 53 caps. Club: Galatasaray (Turkey).

Jade North, 28 caps. Club: Tromso (Norway).

Luke Wilkshire, 40 caps. Club: Dinamo Moscow (Russia).

Rhys Williams, 3 caps. Club: Middlesbrough (England).

Midfielders

Mark Bresciano, 52 caps. Club: Palermo (Italy).

Tim Cahill, 37 caps. Club: Everton (England).

Nicky Carle, 12 caps. Club: Crystal Palace (England).

Jason Culina, 45 caps. Club: Gold Coast United.

Brett Emerton, 72 caps. Club: Blackburn Rovers (England).

Richard Garcia, 5 caps. Club: Hull (England).

Vince Grella, 42 caps. Club: Blackburn Rovers (England).

James Holland, 4 caps. Club: AZ Alkmaar (Holland).

Brett Holman, 29 caps. Club: AZ Alkmaar (Holland).

Mile Jedinak, 9 caps. Club: Antalyaspor (Turkey), on loan from Genclerbirligi (Turkey).

Tommy Oar, 1 cap. Club: FC Utrecht (Holland).

Carl Valeri, 19 caps. Club: Sassuolo (Italy).

Dario Vidosic, 4 caps. Club: MSV Duisburg (Germany), on loan from FC Nurnberg (Germany).

Strikers

Josh Kennedy, 17 caps. Club: Nagoya Grampus (Japan).

Harry Kewell, 45 caps. Club: Galatasaray (Turkey).

Scott McDonald, 15 caps. Club: Middlesbrough (England).

Nikita Rukavytsya, 2 caps. Club: KSV Roeselare (Belgium), on loan from FC Twente (Holland).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts..

* GREAT to see quite a few youngsters. Tommy Oar, Vidosic and Williams will be key to future world cup campaigns.. So glad Pim has a bit of long term vision here, even though he is leaving soon
* Glad, but surprised to see Scott McDonald ther. Thought Pim had rubbed him out for good.. Suppose he's there for back up..
* BUH Wilkshire/Holman. Why Pim persists with these losers, I'll never know
* Richard Garcia!! YES! He's been doing great things (very quietly..) for Hull. Solid player.
* Woo Lowry! If you told me only one of the three aussie boys at Leeds, I wouldnt have guessed it would be Lowry. Shame Paddy has been injured. Kilkenny is such value, I was hoping he'd get a run.. Oh well, great reward for Lowry.

Anyone else slightly worried that it will be the same first eleven from 4 years ago bar Viduka? Not so much for this world cup but for the next...

No that same 11 bar viduka got us to the quarters, only to be beaten by the eventual winners.

They might be a touch slower and i think Ghana will rape us with pace.

Nah not worried. They're the best 11, i don't care how old they are, I want us to do as well as possible! Except if we get flogged in the first two games.. Then he should throw on all the babies to get the experience..

There was an interesting question posed to rhys Williams and Garcia last night in foxsports fc.. If god said "I'll do u a deal.. I can guarantee you a draw against Germany" would you take it?

They both were like "no way, we're gunna win".. And I thought, you two are on drugs, of course you'd take the draw! But after I thought about it.. Germany traditionally start wold cups reeeeally slowly, and considering they lost their goalkeeper.. I reckon we have a better chance against Germany than we think :) in any case, good to hear their confidence!

Traditionally our game style has been one that can easily beat a team traditionally like germany, however, this germany team isn't like german teams of the past.

Ghana i think is our make it or break it game, if we beat them or force a draw then i would say we were in a good position to advance. Though if ghana beat germany that gets trhown right out the window.

Like i said the worry is not this world cup (bar the lack of pace at the back...) but the next one

For sure lsz - rebuilding big time! That's why I hope we get a new gaffer asap so we can take the Asian cup seriously and get the boys some big game experience.. Can't afford for it to be a shambles like last time!

Agree!

Can not wait for Leo Benhacker's name to come up again....

I would love to know what Cahill's new contract with Everton is worth. He is one of the squad who has always put the green & gold first. The fact that Everton re-signed him says a huge amount about his ability and his relationship with the club. Well done Tim.

"This morning, Cahill flies to Melbourne to report for Socceroos duty. A fit Harry Kewell may still have something to offer, but the one truly indispensable player in Pim Verbeek's squad is Cahill. In a system which ensures the Socceroos have to feed off scraps, his uncanny knack of scoring crucial goals is a godsend - and he's got the goals (19) to games (37) ratio to prove it.

The good news for Verbeek is that his talisman arrives in camp in tip-top shape and - although he won't admit it - career-best form.

''I don't feel I can be any fitter,'' he said. ''This is it, at the end of a long season, to hopefully make something special happen. I've been running 12 kilometres every game, the last couple of months got me goals (10), and started to play some great football even though I was playing a bit deeper. The fatigue factor isn't there and I feel pretty good. I've had four days off and I'm buzzing.

''The premier league isn't getting any easier, but I'm really happy with this season. Proud of what I've achieved. I'm definitely up there with some great form. You look over the season, the games to goals, to fitness, everything. I've just tried to be consistent football-wise and for myself, having that consistency going into the World Cup, is great. I can't wait to get started.''

Hold on, started? At the end of a gruelling campaign of 43 games in the league, FA Cup and in Europe, Cahill is just getting started?

You bet. Four years ago, in the countdown to the World Cup in Germany, Guus Hiddink flogged the players mercilessly to prepare them for the tournament. Over the next three weeks, Cahill wants Verbeek to punish the players again.

''We have to do it,'' he said. ''Once we get to South Africa we have to be the fittest team again, we have to be the strongest. If we were Brazil and had eight Peles coming off the bench, fair enough. But we don't. So we have to make sure, like in Germany, that we push ourselves harder. There's nothing to rest for. I know what my body's like and I'm ready.

''I'm going to train harder every day and try and utilise the facilities and the people we've got around us. So long as I go out there and leave everything on the pitch, even if at the precise moment it doesn't happen for you, people will still respect the fact that you've given everything.''

Four years ago, when the Socceroos kicked off against Japan, he was on the bench. No chance of that happening anytime soon and he's happy to be considered the main man.

''A hundred per cent I want that, I've wanted it all the time,'' he said.

''It's a compliment that reflects on you as a person and as a footballer. Yeah, it's a massive weight, but is it really? I'm going to grab this with both hands to make sure not only I fulfil my dreams, but the dreams of the people [fans] because they're who you play for in the end.''

Cahill's heart-on-the-sleeve performances in the green and gold mean there's barely a detractor in sight, but this World Cup will help to measure him against the best of his peers.

''Is it a measure? Maybe yes, but it's not the be all and end all,'' he said. ''All I say to myself is you're playing against the best players in the world, so don't waste the opportunity.''

Whatever happens - and Cahill insists the Socceroos can't be satisfied unless they progress from the group stage - this won't necessarily be his last World Cup.

''I don't need to say how much I want to play for Australia, no one ever has to ask me to play because I always want to be there,'' he said.

''To fight so hard for something you've always dreamt of, why would I stop now? Come the next one [2014] I'll be 34 and I can't see myself, if selected, not playing. And I mean that with all sincerity. It's the biggest competition in the world and we've got ourselves into a position to have a good crack at making it again.''

Full article: http://www.smh.com.au/world-cup-2010/world-cup-news/a-43game-season-under-his-belt-tornado-tims-ready-to-blow-them-away-in-sa-20100518-vc6v.html

I still remember waking the apartment block upon his first goal against Japan and then waking the whole suburb when the second one went in. 

Is non stop talk of Turf Billiards over here on the radio at the moment !!!

Not the biggest fan myself but might watch a game or 2

You'll love it - Greatest competition on earth.

Plus, it will be another 30 years before the kiwis make it again, so enjoy it while it lasts :p

I prefer the NRL competition :p

Be careful, we might just tip your mob over in a week or 2 when they play each other

no chance.....unless the Kiwi's treat it like a game rather than a warm up!

I was going to come in here and go on about some new superstar making his debut that is meant to be the goods, but I have forgotten his bloody name haha

Plays and lives in Denmark and is attracting attention from some of the big sides in Europe apparently

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4