Penn State sacks another one.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Manly Sea Eagles sack football manager Steve Gigg
Date
August 18, 2015 - 11:20PM

Adrian Proszenko

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...steve-gigg-20150818-gj24ay.html#ixzz3jC73fLYO
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

The bloodletting at Manly continues with long-serving football manager Steve Gigg sacked on Tuesday.

Gigg, who has served in the position during two stints with the Sea Eagles, was told he would not be required after the completion of the season.

Gigg, who has previously worked at the Roosters, is part of a massive clean-out, which has also claimed coach Geoff Toovey, his assistants and several other staffers who were popular with the playing group.

It's believed management had intended to break the news to players at training on Wednesday. Gigg was unavailable for comment on Tuesday night.

The development comes after counsellor Judy Fitzgerald, who has been working closely with the players during a time of great change at Brookvale, parted company with the club last week.

Gigg was the last remaining member of the former retention and recruitment committee that has been disbanded since the Penn family took control of the club last year.

League Immortal Bob Fulton is now calling the shots after rejoining the club he played and coached, leading to a total overhaul of the roster. At least a dozen players have been told their services aren't required for next year, including some – such as veteran hooker Matt Ballin – who remain under contract.

The club is trying to free up salary cap space after splashing out on a "lifetime" contract for Daly Cherry-Evans, as well as 2016 recruits Nate Myles, Darcy Lussick, Lewis Brown and Apisai Koroisau. Ballin, who has been in outstanding form in recent weeks, has vowed to dig his heals in.

Gigg's axing is part of preparations for the arrival of Panthers assistant Trent Barrett as head coach next year. The club is now in the unusual position of potentially sacking Toovey at a time when he could yet steer the Sea Eagles to an unexpected finals berth.

There is an old saying and it really applies when it comes to the Penn clan, " The more things change, the more they stay the same" I appreciate that a new coach wants his own team, but letting go guys who have been part of the fabric and our success and the timing of this as the team has come together and really having a run at the finals. Maybe this is just another stunt to somehow motivate the team by getting them angry. I am not sure about that but as a member of the club I want to see some stability and if that does not occur in 2016, heads must roll at the top!

There is an old saying and it really applies when it comes to the Penn clan, " The more things change, the more they stay the same" I appreciate that a new coach wants his own team, but letting go guys who have been part of the fabric and our success and the timing of this as the team has come together and really having a run at the finals. Maybe this is just another stunt to somehow motivate the team by getting them angry. I am not sure about that but as a member of the club I want to see some stability and if that does not occur in 2016, heads must roll at the top!
I suspect it's more likely a tactic to derail the team. Sure they want success ... but not this year. Already enough egg on their faces for the sacking of Tooves. If we make the finals the rest of the league will see them as the vengeful laughing stock we know them to be.

Let's not kid ourselves - our success came from juniors or people already in our system who developed and the guys Crusher brought in.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a-eagles-success/story-e6frexnr-1226150142184
Simplistic to believe that sportsmen are 'born' and continue to perform with no influence as they mature.
Broncs and Cows had the same roster for at least 3 years and their current success is all due to their current coaches.@:cool:

2v is not just a custodian of the Dez playing group :mad:

Let's not kid ourselves - our success came from juniors or people already in our system who developed and the guys Crusher brought in.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...a-eagles-success/story-e6frexnr-1226150142184

I can tell you that Gigg and Donny and 2v have all been part of the manly winning dominance over the last decade. Theses guys have done nothing wrong . Gigg was there before with bozo when he coached. He went to east and came back to the club under Des as football manager. He replaced Zorba in that role as Des wanted and these were his words," a proper manager not some one who works 3 hours a day". Zorba has never liked him. It does not surprise me at all that he has got the punt. The timing is all about trying to derail this year as the Penn state have written this year off. They want all the changes done good or dad so they can go hard next year..
Staff , the coach , brookie all the big ones have been smashed by then. The problem is they have pissed off all of us fans and sponsors so much that the place under them has lost its Manly mojo and not even old Bozo will be able to fix this mess they have made. All we can do is back 2v to the end and not give them any more of our money in protest. Go 2vs and all your blokes . Putt egg all over there faces. They are and will be as one off there companies (Penn) state. THE BIGGEST LOSSES.

The ability of the bloke may be one issue, but the timing of these dismissals is everything.
The timing is just more of the same - new owners = house cleaning/bringing in their own. Just working their way through the staff. And that's not Penn fandom. That's just what happens when new ownership comes into anything. Even if they were previously PART of the ownership. When they gain full control its all about putting your own stamp on it. For better or worse.

But if anything, I agree with @Frogz. Everyone hailed the return of Bozo, then he acts ruthless and initiates a cull and the Penn's are arseholes.

Why does Penn want to make himself SOOOOO unpopular ? Bozo may now be the 'football manager' and maybe was unable to prevent Penn from waiting till the OFF Sseason . . . :punch:
More likely Bozo was unable to work with Gigg effectively.:punch:

The timing is just more of the same - new owners = house cleaning/bringing in their own. Just working their way through the staff. And that's not Penn fandom. That's just what happens when new ownership comes into anything. Even if they were previously PART of the ownership. When they gain full control its all about putting your own stamp on it. For better or worse.

But if anything, I agree with @Frogz. Everyone hailed the return of Bozo, then he acts ruthless and initiates a cull and the Penn's are arseholes.
Well you finally said it, " the Penns are arseholes".

Surely though, if you've bought your company with an eye to success, you time the sweep of your broom. I've known of many a company who've done all the work on a big contract with new owners and then do the bloodletting after that success. That, is good business.

Do you think they care though?
Ive seen he way Penn grooms himself, he definateley dont care about what people think. Just like he didnt care about the Leauges club and their members when he used it to gain a vote and a cash windfall.

Surely though, if you've bought your company with an eye to success, you time the sweep of your broom. I've known of many a company who've done all the work on a big contract with new owners and then do the bloodletting after that success. That, is good business.
My past experience is that they go in before day one and punt anyone in any position of influence or power. Probably doesn't work the same with a league team.

Ive seen he way Penn grooms himself, he definateley dont care about what people think. Just like he didnt care about the Leauges club and their members when he used it to gain a vote and a cash windfall.
Yeah exactly. We can bitch and moan about the situation but the reality is the Penn's don't give a ****, Bozo doesn't give a ****, and they will do what they want regardless of what the popular opinion dictates. That may turn a lot of people right off or for some, you support the guys on the field and what happens off the field - que sera, sera...

My past experience is that they go in before day one and punt anyone in any position of influence or power. Probably doesn't work the same with a league team.

And they dont listen to the staff who know the strengh and deficencies of the business at the coal face and what will work, instead they go through the learning process and make all their own mistakes then eventually realise that what the staff were saying is in fact correct all along but dont give the staff any credit.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4