Penalty Try

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
What were your thoughts? I disagreed with Gus. If the player was not tackled before he had the ball momentum would have had him over - Try?

I've always thought the rule was unless your 100% certain then it is just a penalty and a professional foul.

I don't think you can be 100% sure he was going to score.

That being said, they deserved the try anyhow as the infringment was made to prevent the possibilty of scoring so I'm fine with it being given. Even though not entirly complying with the rules.

How nobody was put in the bin is beyond me though.

I was happy with the decision.

I guess Gould loves to grab the limelight away from the players. I am wondering if my dislike of his commentary isn't somehow increasing my enjoyment of the game, no, is it possible? Certainly gets my vocabulary limited in the words I start to use.

I initially thought penalty try, but I also thought they wouldn't give it because he was 5 metres short of line. So I was surprised it was given. In my mind it was a 50-50.
But as usual Guss thinks its black a white no try.

The ref’s haven’t got a chance while he’s commentating.

I think there should be more penalty tries:
1- to stop players cheating like that
2- they are exciting and controversial - more fun

To achieve the above I think they should interpret the penalty tries more like the following:
1- the player who made the foul gets discounted in any figuring out - so last night the player who tackled early isn't taken into consideration if you figure that he didn't make the tackle. I.e. in that case Witt has the ball all by himself with only five metres to go - clear penalty try.
2- the attacking team is assumed that from the foul they would have done everything right - i.e. none of the 'they might have dropped the ball over the line'. So the test is definitely scored beyond a shadow of a doubt - but most likely scored from this situation.

I aplaud them for having the balls to award the penalty try a lot of games could have turned this year and last off of the back of penalty tries, this sets a good precedent

An 8 point try can can be awarded only if the infringment is at the moment of scoring, not on his way to scoring.

How they can distinguish between the two has got me. You've either scored or you haven't. Up until that time your on your way to scoring whether your 100meters away or a millimeter.

Strange rule.

I think its for an infringement after the try. Say if you score a try then the opposing player comes over then boots you in the head.

You may remember mark coyne knocking a bloke out in the 99 grand final when he was going to ground the ball...maybe.

That was an 8 point try.

Sorry Flip, that was Jamie Ainscough Knocking out Craig Smith as he was going to ground it.

Penalty try, not an 8 point try.

Byso is right on the 8 point try (much as it pains me to admit it :) )

Is the 8 point try still in the rule book? I haven't seen one for about a thousand years and Fro is right on the 99 grand final - it cost the dragons the game along with Mundine dropping the ball over the line with three unmarked players outside him.

Is the 8 point try still in the rule book? I haven't seen one for about a thousand years and Fro is right on the 99 grand final - it cost the dragons the game along with Mundine dropping the ball over the line with three unmarked players outside him.

and its situations like that mundane one that make the 100% sure thing impossible to uphold.

Im with most here, they should be awarded more often to stop cheating play

because the opportunity is there to get 8 points clon.

they can't really call it the "sometimes 8 sometimes 6 or we can give you an extra shot try" :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4