Penalties given in tonight's game.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eagleheart

Bencher
I realise in the scheme of things, to even discuss some of the penalties given in tonight's game is probably low on our agenda. It was an awesome win and I am incredible proud of our boys. But I was just watching the game again and seriously I have no idea why Badger gave the vermin that very first penalty about 5 mins into the game and then subsequently a few others in the second half. (And well done to Chez for calling out Badger like he did in the second half.)

I want to be clear that I am not suggesting Badger bet on the game or any such thing. But some of the penalties given were just ridiculous. And just because a team is loosing like the vermin were, quite considerably, is it fair to give penalties just because.......? Is this not manipulating a game quite blatantly?

As a side note, not sure if anyone has ever heard about an ex NBA ref Tim Donaghy? Anyway he ended up going to prison for betting on some games he worked. It is actually very interesting reading about what he did and what he says went on with other officials and directions given by NBA executives etc. Of course the 'NBA' product managers/officials/coaches, deny it and really give Donaghy a bad wrap for obvious reasons.

Anyway, just thought I would post a few links for anyone who wanted to read more about him.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/tim-donaghy-100-percent-of-nba-refs-gamble-050416

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/10/AR2008061003377.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ws-whistle-nba-dirty-secrets-article-1.293192

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

Last edited:
For as long as I can remember Souffs always get catch up penalties. They are the NRL love child in NSW. By contrast we all have seen the bias against us with penalties.

DCE was right when he told badger that he was giving penalties too easily. It was shifting momentum back to souffs.

Fortunetly it didn't stop us steam rolling them, but it is annoying.

I like the badge as a ref but I thought he was bigger than square ups.
Apparently not.
I would like to see Ray Murrahey look at the slime v cows game though.
To see a dude feed the ball to the opposition hooker is a first for me.
Of course toddles says " nothing suss ".

I was thinking the same thing - you won't hear much about it because we won it in a canter, but geez a lot of those penalties were crap. When even the commentators are making jokes about the whistle only being blown because of the score...(happened after BJ was penalised for 'holding on' for 3.2 milliseconds in a tackle, and at least one other).

DCE was spot on when he spoke to Badger about it - Manly didn't change a thing between first half and second, but once we were well ahead the piggybacks started (also, do you reckon Hymel Hunt's 'try' would be given if the scores were close?!).

Watch any game where there's a blowout - 9 times out of 10, the team on the receiving end will get a run of penalties once they're well behind on the scoreboard.

We can't be letting teams get flogged, or we'll lose $$$ from their supporters losing interest, and we also can't waffle on about what a fair and open competition the NRL is if teams are getting done by 50... :tinfoil:

I was going to reply in an all fired up manner "it was a preconceived start to square up for the second half" etc but I thought I'd watched the game again and have another look.

This is what I saw re the second half start.

*gets out notebook*

Out of the 6 penalties up to the 56th minute:

Deserved:
41st min
49th min

50-50 (Or I dunno)
50th min (offside call but no angles showed the offside)
56th min - the sam burgess 'loose carry' when dce and badger had a chat.

Total duds:
46th min Even the commentators said that was to help souths.
55th min Dud. Crappy play the ball (like the first one 46th min one.)

So to me, it seems all options got an equal go.

Their try - total DUD!

How Badger reckons he saw the ball on the ground is beyond me. He couldn't and tv angles couldn't confirm a grounding. TV commentators also thought it was harsh to say it was grounded.

Later Taupau did much the same and was ruled 'no try.'

So...it wasn't as bad as I first thought yelling at the tv during the first viewing.

Interesting point is how often a Burgess is involved when a penalty is blown. It's a lot! I think 4 of the 6 mentioned above for starters.

:)

The first 20 min of the second half was as bad as I've seen it. It's like they are ticket inspectors and have to get a quota or something - after realising only one penalty was blown in the first half they had to make up ground. It totally kills the game, and I can guarantee refereeing inconsistency turns off more fans than the occasional scoring blowout. They are a blight on rugby league

I realise in the scheme of things, to even discuss some of the penalties given in tonight's game is probably low on our agenda. It was an awesome win and I am incredible proud of our boys. But I was just watching the game again and seriously I have no idea why Badger gave the vermin that very first penalty about 5 mins into the game and then subsequently a few others in the second half. (And well done to Chez for calling out Badger like he did in the second half.)

I want to be clear that I am not suggesting Badger bet on the game or any such thing. But some of the penalties given were just ridiculous. And just because a team is loosing like the vermin were, quite considerably, is it fair to give penalties just because.......? Is this not manipulating a game quite blatantly?

As a side note, not sure if anyone has ever heard about an ex NBA ref Tim Donaghy? Anyway he ended up going to prison for betting on some games he worked. It is actually very interesting reading about what he did and what he says went on with other officials and directions given by NBA executives etc. Of course the 'NBA' product managers/officials/coaches, deny it and really give Donaghy a bad wrap for obvious reasons.

Anyway, just thought I would post a few links for anyone who wanted to read more about him.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/tim-donaghy-100-percent-of-nba-refs-gamble-050416

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/10/AR2008061003377.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ws-whistle-nba-dirty-secrets-article-1.293192

http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-the-book-the-nba-doesnt-want-you-to-read

It's because the NRL are corrupt and they want a even product

Souths got what 7 in a row to try and help them score and get back into

Pathetic

Yeah, the obvious response to a ref having the "any more penalties and I'll put someone in the bin" talk is to tell him to stop blowing stupid penalties. Cherry handled it well and once we got that first second half try the team settled down and got back to playing the game.

It's been part of the NRL policy to give teams who are well behind on the scoreboard a leg up for at least 2 or 3 years now. Sometimes (in more recent years) we have been beneficiaries of that policy.

Last night's effort was as obvious as I've seen it though, and made me wonder whether the NRL should be classified as a sport or an "entertainment product".

I was going to reply in an all fired up manner "it was a preconceived start to square up for the second half" etc but I thought I'd watched the game again and have another look.

This is what I saw re the second half start.

*gets out notebook*

Out of the 6 penalties up to the 56th minute:

Deserved:
41st min
49th min

50-50 (Or I dunno)
50th min (offside call but no angles showed the offside)
56th min - the sam burgess 'loose carry' when dce and badger had a chat.

Total duds:
46th min Even the commentators said that was to help souths.
55th min Dud. Crappy play the ball (like the first one 46th min one.)

So to me, it seems all options got an equal go.

Their try - total DUD!

How Badger reckons he saw the ball on the ground is beyond me. He couldn't and tv angles couldn't confirm a grounding. TV commentators also thought it was harsh to say it was grounded.

Later Taupau did much the same and was ruled 'no try.'

So...it wasn't as bad as I first thought yelling at the tv during the first viewing.

Interesting point is how often a Burgess is involved when a penalty is blown. It's a lot! I think 4 of the 6 mentioned above for starters.
I
:)
He said he can see the ball on the ground but went to check grounding, why?

Badger hates Manly. Always has. I don't know how DCE kept it together so much. I was thinking, give it to him DCE...thankfully, he kept his head, and that probably got us a little leniancy like he asked for :)

****ing Badger. Lucky I deactivated Twitter, or I'd be carving him up last night.

What we need is live betting on penalties. Can you imagine how much we will clean up if we get out to a big lead again and we all put money on the oppostition getting more penalties than us!
We are playing melb? Im putting my house on melb to win the penalty count.

Hear, hear. You don't go from being complete cleanskins in the 1st half, to playing almost exactly the same way in the second to get a string of 7 penalties against you.

The try against which was actually ****ing HELD UP ! GRRR and Badger awards it a try, to see Marty score only minutes later, which was much more convincing to me for him to say NO TRY !

WTF ! That's not unlucky - that's suss to me

The refs cost us some valuable points differential tonight.

Instead of being a 38 point win it should have been at least a 50 point win.

Souths needed 5 or 6 penalties in the space of 10 minutes to get that try (Which shouldn't have even been a try).

Then big Marty is ripped off from being rewarded a well deserved try.

On a side note: Manly has conceded 68 penalties in the first 9 rounds, and been awarded 57.
The only penalty count we won was against the Bulldogs.
And vs the Storm it was even.

That Sunday Manly got belted at Shark Park by 70 or whatever it was. Everyone switched off watching inside first 10 minutes.

Roy Masters in 2012. Ironic this was after a Souths game too.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-ensure-theatrical-finale-20120806-23qe1.html

Referees risk becoming choreographers, directing the course of NRL games to produce dramatic results.

Canterbury's Des Hasler, who was fined for Saturday's comments, is not the only coach entitled to feel aggrieved by referees seemingly making decisions that bring the underdog back into the game.

South Sydney are the people's favourites, riding an emotional surge into the semi-finals, with storylines already prepared about Hollywood endings for owner Russell Crowe.

The danger is referees might be swept along with the romance, writing themselves into the script.

Just before half-time in Sunday's match on the Gold Coast, the Titans' David Mead had a try disallowed when the video referee ruled teammate Luke O'Dwyer had pushed Souths' Chris McQueen in the lead-up, despite McQueen clearly standing in his way.

A set later, McQueen was again the white-haired boy when the video referee ruled he did not knock on before Souths' Justin Hunt scored.

McQueen appeared to have knocked the ball forward, with Titans coach John Cartwright identifying the three-minute period as both a 12-point turnaround and the turning point of the 22-18 loss.

The impact of referees on results has reached a point where coaches, who have little contact with each other beyond a cursory handshake on match day, are leaving text messages after viewing a match involving a rival.

One said: ''Mate, I've just watched your game. I'm flabbergasted. It was the best gee-up I've seen.''

Allowing for the hyperbole usually associated with such observations, we have to remember some of these coaches have been in the business over 20 years, and have seen some big stings.

Hasler was more direct, stating after the Bulldogs' 26-10 victory over Newcastle on Saturday: ''The referees are talking amongst themselves saying, 'This game is going to change, this game is going to change, this game is going to change,' and we get a run of four penalties against us … why do they have to pre-empt?''

The ARLC found no evidence to support Hasler's claims of that exchange ever taking place on the field, and fined him $10,000. The Bulldogs have vowed to appeal against the fine. The Knights' coach, Wayne Bennett, said afterwards that Hasler was merely redirecting the spotlight away from his top-of-the-ladder team. The only person doing any puppeteering here is the code's best script director, the ''Skinny Coach'' himself, seeking to win some gratitude from ego-bruised referees.

The choreographers were also busy at the Storm's home game against Penrith the same day.

With Melbourne building a big half-time lead, the referees gave the visitors every opportunity to make the game a closer contest.

The Storm were ruled to have knocked on three times, yet only one of these appeared to be a possible breach. Penrith's Luke Walsh fumbled the ball forward but play was allowed to proceed.

Melbourne's 46-6 win brought to an end a long run of losses where the referees' rulings played a part.

The round 20 match at Parramatta Stadium was the last for the Eels' ousted coach, Steve Kearney.

Everyone knows players put in when a coach has been sacked, mainly to demonstrate that his shortcomings were the cause of the team's failure. On this particular night, maybe a few of the players - and the referee - felt for the decent Kearney. Referee Steve Lyons penalised Storm winger Sisa Waqa for walking off the mark, yet he was pushed. Penalties in attack hurt but when they occur early in the tackle count and in your own quarter, they are cruel.

Storm prop Jason Ryles had the ball stripped and, as the ball travelled through Parramatta hands, he yelled ''strip''. The referee stopped play, returned to the mark and penalised Ryles for dissent.

Ten minutes later, Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne challenged a ruling, calling the referee what a lip reader could well conclude was, ''a f---ing cheat''. Lyons, standing five metres away, did not penalise him.

Melbourne asked referees' coach Stuart Raper to review the match, whereupon Raper speculated that Hayne may have used another ''c'' word that also ends in a ''t'' but has one fewer letter.

The Herald contacted Raper, who said: ''He could have said either word. It was a spray. It's hard to tell with a mouthguard. But I spoke to Steve Lyons, and he said that if he'd heard it, he would have put Hayne in the [sin] bin.''

Referees like to be addressed as ''Sir'' but perhaps they see themselves as more than that … knighted movie directors, like Sir Ridley Scott who made Gladiator.

The first 20 min of the second half was as bad as I've seen it. It's like they are ticket inspectors and have to get a quota or something - after realising only one penalty was blown in the first half they had to make up ground. It totally kills the game, and I can guarantee refereeing inconsistency turns off more fans than the occasional scoring blowout. They are a blight on rugby league

I reckon we would have surpassed 60 points except for this, I also reckon the NRL really doesn't want too many 60point+ scorelines......

There are really 3 main options available
1) prevent momentum being acquired (early disgraceful decisions);
2) turn momentum (mid to late game disgraceful decisions);
3) brake the momentum (generally later in the game disgraceful decisions).

What we need is live betting on penalties. Can you imagine how much we will clean up if we get out to a big lead again and we all put money on the oppostition getting more penalties than us!
We are playing melb? Im putting my house on melb to win the penalty count.

the mega irony of this approach would be that it would probably put a handbrake on how far the above mentioned approaches could be utilised....

Definitely A LOT of dud calls but we are still giving away a few dumb ones too. Kapow loves to give one away to help teams get out of their own end. Jake also loves that cheap one defending on our line early in the count to get a breather (which I'm ok with). The Kapow style ones need to stop if we are to be a legitimate threat this year. Can't give those away to good teams.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7