Kelly to lift

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kelly has looked underwhelming only because he's been solid without standing out. In saying that though, it's tough to stand out in a backline that includes DCE, Tommy Turbo, Walker, Jorge before he went down and Uate all playing out of their skin.

Injury is probably the only way will see him get a run in firsts this season now unless ladder position is well safe in final rounds in regards to number of players used and can then afford to fiddle around a bit. You can't just be bringing in players you haven't used this time of year just for the sake of it or it could bite you towards the end if a couple of players go down.

Yes he is in the main squad, but we have already used 24 players in first grade so far which if can keep as close to that as possible, would be an amazing result considering 2 of the the squad will not lace up a boot, one has left and one is done for the season.

It isn't unlimited chop and change. I'm not sure what the allowances are, if any there for losing Jorge and Myles in regards to how many players you can use and your two caps but its a bit of a balancing act to avoid fines and whatnot. I'm sure we aren't in danger zone yet, but you have to plan well, and don't want to have issues in the important part of the season with your squad numbers / cap etc. Trent might think we are covered for backs with players already used and might need a forward promoted to the squad. As Parker hasnt played yet, he can do that, once he has played a game and unless he is injured, you have to play him, over bringing someone else in.

Kelly has been outstanding and I believe he is the strongest candidate for Dally M rookie of the year. His stepping in to the number 4 jersey with low penalties, smart second phase play, try scoring feats that seem beyond his experience, good cover defence, running good lines and consistent input throughout a match.. all in his first year of first grade and his first year with the club.. not bad
Mattai's position was always going to be massive to live up to but he's performed like a champ. We were lucky to have the number 4 jersey on the back of our (and the leagues) most replayed and 'highlight reel' featured player in the game. It's not Kellys job or responsibility to emulate those bone rattling hits performed weekly by Skivi. He's his own man whose highlight reels look a little more attack based but I can't see what more you could ask of a rookie centre at a new club.. killing it kelly!! keep it up!

Kelly has been solid without being spectacular. TBH the only things I have been disappointed with are his speed and strength. We were told in the pre-season that he is quick, but he's really not. He's about as quick as Matai was and Skivy was never the fastest centre. And I think he does need to hit the weights more because sometimes he can get mauled in tackles. But on the flip side of that his defence has been good for the most part and not many get past or through him.

For mine he has done nothing that would suggest he should be dropped, even for Parker.

Kelly has been solid without being spectacular. TBH the only things I have been disappointed with are his speed and strength. We were told in the pre-season that he is quick, but he's really not. He's about as quick as Matai was and Skivy was never the fastest centre. And I think he does need to hit the weights more because sometimes he can get mauled in tackles. But on the flip side of that his defence has been good for the most part and not many get past or through him.

For mine he has done nothing that would suggest he should be dropped, even for Parker.
Yep couldn't agree more. Has been in a position to score quite a few times without having that explosive power and strength to get the ball down. I think he needs a HUGE offseason to get my tick of approval. When you compare him to some of the other hard running centres around, he really is not up to where he needs to be.
I would say very little chance of rookie of the year and unless he has a massive offseason, I am not confident he is long-term for us. I think Skivy was actually quicker and showed more promise early on. More than happy to be proved wrong..

To be fair to Kelly.. I think Matai copped worse in his first season. I am sure there were threads calling for him to be dropped. Liability in defence etc etc. We just need to remain patient. I think he has been a little quiet in attack. But we seem to be scoring freely and defending well so i wouldnt change anything. Also the fact that he will gain experience and improve.. then he will become some player. He has a great attitude.

Only disappointing thing for me too.. was his speed. I did think he was suppose to be a speedster. But we have Walker doing that so its okay.

We've been so good on that side of the field because Turbo just puts cut-out passs right onto Jorge/Wright bypassing Kelly.

He's been perfectly solid.

Kelly has been outstanding and I believe he is the strongest candidate for Dally M rookie of the year. His stepping in to the number 4 jersey with low penalties, smart second phase play, try scoring feats that seem beyond his experience, good cover defence, running good lines and consistent input throughout a match.. all in his first year of first grade and his first year with the club.. not bad
Mattai's position was always going to be massive to live up to but he's performed like a champ. We were lucky to have the number 4 jersey on the back of our (and the leagues) most replayed and 'highlight reel' featured player in the game. It's not Kellys job or responsibility to emulate those bone rattling hits performed weekly by Skivi. He's his own man whose highlight reels look a little more attack based but I can't see what more you could ask of a rookie centre at a new club.. killing it kelly!! keep it up!

Cotric from Canberra will be the Rookie of the Year, easy.

I think he should be given a run in FG...I've been underwhelmed with Kelly lately but I probably wouldn't drop a winning combination but I think Parker could handle the back row coming off the bench.
Parker for Sirro?
That would be interesting.
After all, didn't Steve Menzies start out as a winger? I think bozo shifted him to the back row.

Kelly has quite rightly been focussing on defence and he's done extremely well in that area. We are always hearing how hard it is to defend as a centre in the modern game, he would have been found out very early on if that was a weakness but he's stood up to every challenge, including marking players like Ferguson and Leilua. In attack he hasn't shone so much as yet, but a few very special touches mean he's well worth persevering with.

I get that this is a diverse site with lots of different opinions, but any calls to drop Kelly for anyone else are quite frankly, laughable.

Top 4, 5 wins on the trot, team gelling beautifully etc, etc, .....yeah let's drop our starting centre for ...reasons.
Lmao

Parker for Sirro?
That would be interesting.
After all, didn't Steve Menzies start out as a winger? I think bozo shifted him to the back row.
If Greg Eastwood can start out as a winger I guess anyone can.
I am keen for Parker to see some NRL action but not sure if we can be asking for much more from Kelly at this stage.

Underwhelmed??? wow tough marker.

He's just a kid. Blind freddy can tell he has potential.

Guess we've been blessed to have Internationals Lyon and Matai there for a decade.

In relation to Parker, he's another young player with promise that will get his turn in time.

IMO had Parker not been injured in the pre-season there is every likiehood that he would have been given first shot at centre if FG.

However, that wasn't to be and Kelly got the nod.

Kelly has made good with the opportunity and will only continue to improve and certainly should not be dropped.

But keep looking over your should Kels, because Parker is still there and I reckon he is a goodun.

Kelly is a class act and has class written all over him, the pass for walker, the pass for jorge, and the catch around his bootlaces pass. Defence has been solid, helping the sets has been good. Hard to stand out in this backline plus we dont use him much in attack like Walker. This wouldnt change or get better with parker. Kelly is a great young player don't underestimate what he can do but good to have parker pressuring him.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6