P VAN! Is it really better that the NRL has become Super Rugby?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
While i applaud PV for shaking things up the amount of high scoring blowouts and or close games is worrying.

Obviously speed of play and fatigue are a huge reason and no doubt thats what they wanted but its going too far...

Super rugby went down the road of free scoring big scores no defence and i really feel that added to their product getting stale and somewhat predictable.

40 - 30 even 50 - 0 while perhaps entertaining will tarnish pretty quickly unless its your side week in week out winning big.

they need to find a middle ground.

I agree completely, and rugby lost a lot of its identity as a result.

For me, the solution to the ruck infringement problem is to use the sin-bin more (even potentially introduce a 5 minute sin-bin for repeated ruck infringements; 10 mins to remain for professional fouls and dangerous contact to the head).

I'm not sure about this. Some teams show you can defend, even with the new rules. One team has had 60 scored against them through 9 games , at an average of just over 6.

That shows any team can do that with the right attitude, technique, system & effort.

I'm not sure you can put the bad defense of many teams on the new rules. I love the faster pace of the game. I love that little men are now back in the game.

I honestly feel recruitment, fitness, systems are the the reasons some teams are badly failing (and some teams, injuries in that, like us).

I'm not sure about this. Some teams show you can defend, even with the new rules. One team has had 60 scored against them through 9 games , at an average of just over 6.

That shows any team can do that with the right attitude, technique, system & effort.

I'm not sure you can put the bad defense of many teams on the new rules. I love the faster pace of the game. I love that little men are now back in the game.

I honestly feel recruitment, fitness, systems are the the reasons some teams are badly failing (and some teams, injuries in that, like us).
Good points i agree however the product looks to be really lop sided which leads to the Super Rugby road to destruction.

Its not just that the game has naturally evolved. its being manipulated by the brains trust through the referee's and that leads to inconsistencies week to week game to game.

Today for instance. what was it? 3 or 4 set restarts? There were so many occasions where both sides could have been pinged but the inconsistent Refereeing decided to put the whistle away.

yet in the next game there could be 15 set restarts.

my point is the artificial manipulation of the game to produce an outcome was exactly what happened in SR. they believed the game was too slow and clunky. they changed the rules to allow the big scores. the attack flourished and everyone was like how good is this until it became monotonous and boring to have 44 - 38 score lines. we don't want the same to happen to our game do we?

Good points i agree however the product looks to be really lop sided which leads to the Super Rugby road to destruction.

Its not just that the game has naturally evolved. its being manipulated by the brains trust through the referee's and that leads to inconsistencies week to week game to game.

Today for instance. what was it? 3 or 4 set restarts? There were so many occasions where both sides could have been pinged but the inconsistent Refereeing decided to put the whistle away.

yet in the next game there could be 15 set restarts.

my point is the artificial manipulation of the game to produce an outcome was exactly what happened in SR. they believed the game was too slow and clunky. they changed the rules to allow the big scores. the attack flourished and everyone was like how good is this until it became monotonous and boring to have 44 - 38 score lines. we don't want the same to happen to our game do we?

Very good point there too mate. The rules have certainly allowed the game to transition in a way that interpretation by a referee is involved more, and on the fly. Those 6 again calls often get overlooked too, as the play continues on so quickly. So they can be as wrong as humanly possible, and there is no repercussions.

Agree, you don't want 44-38 score lines.

It's such a fine line, and one that I really don't have an answer for. One thing I would say is PV has stated that if something is not working, they deserve the right to change the rules just as quickly. End of the day, money and ratings talk. If we are heading backwards, I'm sure they'll come up with a solution quick smart.

It's a good topic mate, its a tough one.

I don't think there is a right answer except for..... whatever rule change is needed to screw the Storm then do it.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4