Outside Back

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
So with Whare going we are looking a little thin in the backs for net year especially considering Wolfman, Oldfield and Taufua are all off contract atm.

IMO we need to re-sign all 3 to add to Farrar who will be returning from injury.

From there i think we are still a player short. Do we have a youngster who could step up? Gutherson is young and a fullback but if good enough could he play wing? same for Busby? Chapman?

Otherwise are there any promising Toyota Cup wingers we can pick up at minimum wage?

Or journeymen/cast off's who could offer value ala Williamson, Bryant, Robertson?

Disco said:
So with Whare going we are looking a little thin in the backs for net year especially considering Wolfman, Oldfield and Taufua are all off contract atm.

IMO we need to re-sign all 3 to add to Farrar who will be returning from injury.

From there i think we are still a player short. Do we have a youngster who could step up? Gutherson is young and a fullback but if good enough could he play wing? same for Busby? Chapman?

Otherwise are there any promising Toyota Cup wingers we can pick up at minimum wage?

Or journeymen/cast off's who could offer value ala Williamson, Bryant, Robertson?
Gutherson is definately a star of the future & should break into NRL 2014/15 imo.
Think Taufua will stay with Oldfield no certainty?? & Wolf reportedly(again) getting mass overseas offers??
Signing more players is a tough gig until we know 100% who is being retained.

I reckon we should go after that bloke at penrith called whare who has a lot of potential.

There will be alot of Toyota cup kids who can't get a gig in nrl and surely we could pick up someone?? Like Whare situation, someone looking to play 1st grade! Can't see Gutherson ready yet.

I like the look of our Toyota Cup centre. He's a unit. Doesn't set the world on fire but when a center ismaking 110+ metres every week and the forwards arent doing that (except trbojevic) it's a great effort.

In saying that we might struggle without Matai doing this on friday

The Centres in this year's NSW cup aren't even full time players.

Like I said in the other post I got a feeling that Wolfie, Snake and Matai won't get injured or suspended next year.

We are forgetting Ben Farrar who is out this season due ot injury but is back @ the club. Great utility value in the backs from him when he is fit.

Napper said:
I like the look of our Toyota Cup centre. He's a unit. Doesn't set the world on fire but when a center ismaking 110+ metres every week and the forwards arent doing that (except trbojevic) it's a great effort.

Are you talking about strickland ;)

Cameron said:
Napper said:

Are you talking about strickland ;)

Possibly! Haha

Farrar is a great value for the club. Unfortunately he got injured this year and we are missing him. He will definitely be taking over from Whare next year. Farrar has become one of my favourite players and was looking forward to him really flying this year.
If we are going to go for a outside back, I would chase the 2 guys from the Warriors. Excuse my spelling but Fiishiahi and the Afghan guy Omar would be 2 great buys. They are absolute stand outs. Fiishiahi will not get a go behind Locke. I would really love to see us buy a real up and comer.
BJ Leulia will be cheap after he gets sacked by the Roosters and could also prove handy. Should have also chased Gaigui.

Jonesyv2 said:
We are forgetting Ben Farrar who is out this season due ot injury but is back @ the club. Great utility value in the backs from him when he is fit.
Maybe Farrar is decent utility backup Jonesy, but the day he is in the starting 17 the signs are on the wall that we are light on in that position.
Still not convinced Farrar is any more than a below average outside back in NRL standards.

Yeah Farrar is a very handy back-up, but not a great starter IMO. Don't want him lining up for the NRL team week in & week out.

You guys have had the same unlucky run the Dogs have in the backs this year.

4 that spring to mind who could potentially cover injuries in first grade are Michael Oldfield, Domenic Nasso, Michael McDougall, and Ben Shorter.

I'm sure Stewart will remain at Manly, and with Farrar and Williams potentially staying as well as Taufua you should be right for next year.

MrInvisible said:
You guys have had the same unlucky run the Dogs have in the backs this year.

4 that spring to mind who could potentially cover injuries in first grade are Michael Oldfield, Domenic Nasso, Michael McDougall, and Ben Shorter.

I'm sure Stewart will remain at Manly, and with Farrar and Williams potentially staying as well as Taufua you should be right for next year.

Good to see that someone else thinks that Shorter can cut it in FG.

Oldfield is rather underrated as well IMO, which could work to Manly's advantage.

We could do worse that go over to NZ and give trials to half a dozen young blokes. The Warriors don't have space for all the talent in their toyota cup squad.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4