Our reach...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Loobs

Living in the demountable.
Something I've found interesting from the interviews with new recruits and staff is the reach our club now has.

It seems to have kicked off with Bozo coming back, which got Barrett. Barrett obviously has a pretty clear connection to the ex Penrith players but much like Bozo with the state/Australia rep guys, Barrett seems to be held in pretty high regard from those that were part of his country squads, hence our ability to get Ferris (who was apparently in high demand). Tapau even mentions Cousins from his time at the Tigers.

All these little shards of influence are quite interesting to see in action...

We were never really in the market until this start of this year. Up until that point we had a pretty settled squad of quality players so we didn't have either the need nor the salary cap space to be on the hunt for marquee signings. With the departure of some long term players that freed up some salary cap and we went to the market. Good we got some pretty handy signings but I'm not sure if the OP is trying to suggest that wouldn't have happened if Barrett and Bozo weren't here....I'm don't think that is necessarily true.

We were never really in the market until this start of this year. Up until that point we had a pretty settled squad of quality players so we didn't have either the need nor the salary cap space to be on the hunt for marquee signings. With the departure of some long term players that freed up some salary cap and we went to the market. Good we got some pretty handy signings but I'm not sure if the OP is trying to suggest that wouldn't have happened if Barrett and Bozo weren't here....I'm don't think that is necessarily true.
How did our recruiting go last off season? The crap Burgess and Willie Mason...

For what we paid both of them we could have got Taupau for about 5 weeks...
We went after the better Burgei and got Luke and Tooves wanted Bryce Gibbs.

Really though, that's not so important. The fact we have a staff in place that has a broad reach is key for our future - the next couple of years are key as old veterans go and money is freed up. You need a crew in place that the best talent from around the place will want to play for.

Up until that point we didn't know what Foran and DCE were doing so I can see why they were trying to keep some money in the kitty. If you are going to buy players you need to get rid of some first. We'd really only cut Choc from last years squad by the off season from memory. Look at the turnover this year and the amount of money it has made available. Anyone can attract players if you have a wad of cash, unless you are coached by Ricky Stuart

Up until that point we didn't know what Foran and DCE were doing so I can see why they were trying to keep some money in the kitty. If you are going to buy players you need to get rid of some first. We'd really only cut Choc from last years squad by the off season from memory. Look at the turnover this year and the amount of money it has made available. Anyone can attract players if you have a wad of cash, unless you are coached by Ricky Stuart
We've been pushing guys out to bring new guys in. That means youd have to have an assurance from the new guy that if you make the room they will come. They say yes so you move the old guy on. But players won't want to come unless they believe in what the staff are selling.

Plus there are a bunch of clubs who's money is useless. Glad we aren't one of them.

Good points, but manly didn't really need to do much recruiting after 2007, as we had champs settled in most positions, and young guys like foreign, dce and buhrer coming up from lower grades.

However last year was the time to get going on the rebuild.

Bob Fulton is an immortal and highly respected in the NRL . Fulton was responsible for persuading many players to stay loyal to the ARL during the Super league war .
Barrett has a reputation of building good rapport and earning the respect of players that he was associated with and this does make a big difference in trying to persuade quality players that are in demand to a club

When the rest of the competition were in the market and swooping, we still had a huge Watmough contract that still left us struggling under the Cap. It took 'til the post-season for us to have any sense of what we could afford, with the best already gone. We suffered from engaging later than most and Toovey could have been in just a good position recruitment-wise, if left to plan 2016 as per his original contract.

Bob Fulton is an immortal and highly respected in the NRL . Fulton was responsible for persuading many players to stay loyal to the ARL during the Super league war .
Barrett has a reputation of building good rapport and earning the respect of players that he was associated with and this does make a big difference in trying to persuade quality players that are in demand to a club
Packer's chequebook was responsible for persuading many players to stay 'loyal' to the ARL. Do you think the ARL would have been in the game if they relied on respected ex-players, officials and token wage increases? Bozo (and Gus) just gave a familier face to the negotiations, which pretty much consisted of 'how much were you offered? Here's an extra $50,000.'

If by "persuading" you mean paying them more money, then yes he was highly respected during the Super League war. How did that ARL loyalty work out again for Manly from a financial perspective ??

If by "persuading" you mean paying them more money, then yes he was highly respected during the Super League war. How did that ARL loyalty work out again for Manly from a financial perspective ??
Paying them more money than the richest man on the planet Murdoch was not the art of persuasion that Fulton was using and the ARL loyalty didn't have the funds that Murdoch's aliened Super league clubs had the benefit of .
If you are undermining Fultons ability to attract quality players to our club then we will agree to disagree feathered friend :)
The Sea eagle great never say die and winning culture can not be bought and I am proud our club had the tenacity to stick it up to the Super league thieves .
From a financial perspective I am glad we didn't PROSTITUTE our selves to the Murdoch dollar as we have always survived adversity and continue to remain the most successful club in the modern era !!!
Super-League_w480.jpg

I'm glad we didn't prostitute ourselves either, but it was hardly a good outcome for Manly. We went from premiership powerhouse to Northern Eagles in a blink of an eye. Luckily for us we didn't end up DOA, but for the generosity of some rich benefactors (however that in itself has caused it's own set of ongoing issues). We got royally screwed by Superleague AND the ARL.

I would never undermine the great BOZO, you or your more famous namesake. You are both doing a great job.

I'm glad we didn't prostitute ourselves either, but it was hardly a good outcome for Manly. We went from premiership powerhouse to Northern Eagles in a blink of an eye. Luckily for us we didn't end up DOA, but for the generosity of some rich benefactors (however that in itself has caused it's own set of ongoing issues). We got royally screwed by Superleague AND the ARL.

I would never undermine the great BOZO, you or your more famous namesake. You are both doing a great job.
You are right it wasn't a good outcome but neither are any of the tough and brave decisions that have to go through some pain to get some gain
At the end of day our club rose above the Murdoch empire
We rose above the graves of Norths and Newtown
We rose above having a wooden spoon stuck up our ass like Souths Roosters Bulldogs St George Tigers Panthers Cowboys Eels Sharks Storm Knights Raiders Gold Coast etc have
We rose above being the Northern eagles with a blink of the eye to being Premiers and our Manly never say die spirit with the support of passionate Manly people like Delmege the Penns Supporters officials and all involved will keep us rising above what ever crap comes our way to continue to being the most envied and successful club of all !!!
manly_sea_eagles.jpg

I recall reading here about a lot of negative chatter about the club that would have reached other team's players, either through the press or in rep camps. I thought at the time it's going to be harder to recruit elite players the way our long term players were rushing the door. If anything the big changes resolves that issue.
The next thing would be to build harmony and professionalism through all the ranks (which I'm sure they are doing) so the sum (of our club) is greater than it's parts, as we need players wanting to stay in our system and not wanting to following any future Arthurs out of the place.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4