Optimistic yet logical side of things

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mataiforever

Bencher
I know we've been bang average (shocking actually) these past two rounds, and i know we need to make changes but as a fan i believe the club will. We've lost two rounds of footy and theres calls to sack DCE?... calls to sack taufua? calls to sack many of our stars. calls to sack BARRETT? it seems as though once we lose two rounds thats our season done. i agree our roster is ageing and maybe the likes of lyon have become too old, but the squad we have is amazing. compare our squad now to our previous grand final winning squads and i dont think we look too far off. Its merely the selections (by barrett) and team chemistry/tactics letting us down. These first few weeks will sort out the flops from the stars, who to drop and who to give game time (drop green and williame). We've lost two games, look at last year? we were virtually at the bottom of the table all year and somehow almost made the top eight. These first 10 rounds or so will probably frustrating but this is the start of a new era. We were never going to walk into round 1 and 2 and gel perfectly, wiping out the teams with our quick attack and set plays out the back like we have done in previous years. Also keep in mind cowboys lost their first 3 games of the season last year. The key will be allowing the squad to gel and being patient (as well as a better team selection) >:)

I know we've been bang average (shocking actually) these past two rounds, and i know we need to make changes but as a fan i believe the club will. We've lost two rounds of footy and theres calls to sack DCE?... calls to sack taufua? calls to sack many of our stars. calls to sack BARRETT? it seems as though once we lose two rounds thats our season done. i agree our roster is ageing and maybe the likes of lyon have become too old, but the squad we have is amazing. compare our squad now to our previous grand final winning squads and i dont think we look too far off. Its merely the selections (by barrett) and team chemistry/tactics letting us down. These first few weeks will sort out the flops from the stars, who to drop and who to give game time (drop green and williame). We've lost two games, look at last year? we were virtually at the bottom of the table all year and somehow almost made the top eight. These first 10 rounds or so will probably frustrating but this is the start of a new era. We were never going to walk into round 1 and 2 and gel perfectly, wiping out the teams with our quick attack and set plays out the back like we have done in previous years. Also keep in mind cowboys lost their first 3 games of the season last year. The key will be allowing the squad to gel and being patient (as well as a better team selection) >:)

Your points are all rational, fair and thoughtful. The problem being is that a successful Manly legend was replaced as coach, and Cherry-Evans played the club publicly for his own means.

Your points are all rational, fair and thoughtful. The problem being is that a successful Manly legend was replaced as coach, and Cherry-Evans played the club publicly for his own means.

agreed mate. Tooves being sacked is (in my opinion) the worst mistake we've made. I hope barrett makes it but im sure if he doesnt we'll bring in an experienced coach and learn from our mistakes.

I'm not defending the manner in which it was done but Cherry shopped around because of the new Penn-controlled Board's numbskull decision to pull the previous offer made by the old Board. Penn/Kelly & Zorba had it in for Cherry and put all their eggs in the Foz basket. Foz as we know, took the club for a ride on the pretense he wanted to reach Nirvana under Guru Barrett,but of course he just wanted bigger bucks.So the Penns & Zorba panicked and called in Bozo to help sign Chez up for whatever it took!

Funny how now, after two losses, that people are now saying: "we always knew it would take time to meld".
Why then were we favourites in both matches - and are favourites to beat the Sharks?
Why didn't the so-called footy experts know this before tipping Manly in both matches? Why was there a heavily supported post on this Forum that we'd only have one loss in the first 10 rounds?
This approaches of "it was always expected" is ingenuous. We have been incredibly disappointing. Let's not try to lie to ourselves. And of the big name signings only one, so far, has met expectations.

Funny how now, after two losses, that people are now saying: "we always knew it would take time to meld".
Why then were we favourites in both matches - and are favourites to beat the Sharks?
Why didn't the so-called footy experts know this before tipping Manly in both matches? Why was there a heavily supported post on this Forum that we'd only have one loss in the first 10 rounds?
This approaches of "it was always expected" is ingenuous. We have been incredibly disappointing. Let's not try to lie to ourselves. And of the big name signings only one, so far, has met expectations.

With this exact squad, and:-
1. Des Hasler (coaching)
2. Geoff Toovey (assistant)
3. Donny Singe (Fitness)
4. Noel Cleal (talent acquisition)

we'd have won both these games, comfortably.

No, we have The Dragons, Titans & Nth QLD (O'Donnell) scrubs.

Again with Donny, sheesh. Apart from being a nice guy, how were the players in great shape..? We got by for so long on sheer talent and flogging guys till they were completely busted. It was never about our "fitness".

I don't know whether it was down to Donny but the Dogs are looking a lot slimmer and fitter this year........

Ummm, well he's not an expert but Matt Elliot had us doing exactly what we are doing now...........how utterly embarrassing........

I predicted prior to kick off 1/4 and 3/8.

At this stage I'm sticking with that.

Whilst 3/8 isn't fantastic ( and we are yet to look like even achieving it) it was way more realistic than the 9/10 prediction floating around in February.

I'm yet to get any confidence from the coaching department BUT if they make a few right selections then I think we can come good.

Perhaps if they start reading Silvertails they'll get the right inspiration!!

I'm not defending the manner in which it was done but Cherry shopped around because of the new Penn-controlled Board's numbskull decision to pull the previous offer made by the old Board. Penn/Kelly & Zorba had it in for Cherry and put all their eggs in the Foz basket. Foz as we know, took the club for a ride on the pretense he wanted to reach Nirvana under Guru Barrett,but of course he just wanted bigger bucks.So the Penns & Zorba panicked and called in Bozo to help sign Chez up for whatever it took!
G'day all, But why did Penn and the odious toadie,(forget Kelly he's just a puppet)have it in for Cherry Evans?What had he done to upset them?You could ask the same question about Toovey?I don't recall either ever making any public utterances bad mouthing them,yet both were very publicly humiliated by both Penn and the odious toadie.The tragedy of it all is that we are still suffering the fall out.
cheers mike

G'day all, But why did Penn and the odious toadie,(forget Kelly he's just a puppet)have it in for Cherry Evans?What had he done to upset them?You could ask the same question about Toovey?I don't recall either ever making any public utterances bad mouthing them,yet both were very publicly humiliated by both Penn and the odious toadie.The tragedy of it all is that we are still suffering the fall out.
cheers mike

Lol " the odious toadie"

Cracked me up @mike walker

With this exact squad, and:-
1. Des Hasler (coaching)
2. Geoff Toovey (assistant)
3. Donny Singe (Fitness)
4. Noel Cleal (talent acquisition)

we'd have won both these games, comfortably.

No, we have The Dragons, Titans & Nth QLD (O'Donnell) scrubs.

Wishful thinking. Dessie had quite a few poor starts with a team he had been in charge of for years. Last year many were bagging Donny for having the players looking unfit. You may have been one of them, not sure though but many were. We had no talent coming through when Cleal was here etc etc. Funny how things change.

Terrible start and I am hoping we come good. I will reserve my judgement as at the end of the day Barrett and Fulton know much more than me. Only week 2 and I sure hope you are all wrong.

Re why Penn and the Toad/Zorba had it in for Chez. I think the answer is that Zorba is very close to the Stewart family, including the parents. Chez was blamed by Zorba / Watmough etc for Glenn having to go because of salary cap pressures caused by Chezza's greed. Tooves was in the Zorba bad books for not doing enough to keep Glenn. The Penns just fell into line with Zorba. They figured Manly could do with just Foz and didn't really care if Chezza left. That is until Foz bared his arse to the club and walked out. It was all political, narcissistic, vindictive BS stemming from Zorba - who by the way publicly undermined Toovey and the club through his media puppet, Bulldog Ritchie.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4