One-year contracts could become NRL norm

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mozgrame

Engorged member
By James MacSmith AAP

One-year contracts could become the norm for some of the NRL's biggest names, but Benji Marshall's manager says his star client is now unlikely to ever head to Japan.

With Sonny Bill Williams' move from Japan to a one-season deal with the Sydney Roosters next year now seen as a precedent, it's predicted a host of the game's most sought-after talents could be looking to take advantage of lucrative overseas offers from rugby union.

Marshall's agent Martin Tauber raised the possibility on Thursday that the Wests Tigers five-eighth might ask for a release from his contract which ends in 2015, to secure off-shore opportunities during the 2013-14 off-season.

After the NRL blocked a similar attempted move by Marshall at the end of 2009, Marshall had his latest suggested stint in Japan knocked on the head on Thursday by the Tigers - denying him the opportunity to maximise his earning potential.

Marshall isn't off contract again until 2015 and Tauber says the door might now be shut for good on a stint in Japan.

However, Tauber believes it could pave the way for a string of one-year deals between clubs and the game's biggest stars.

North Queensland captain Johnathan Thurston heads the list of players who might have a big decision to make, with the Queensland and Test five-eighth off contract at the end of 2013.

"The day could come when players only want to sign one-year deals so they can take advantage of the enormous amount of money they can earn in places like Japan and Europe," Tauber said.

"You look at players like (Billy) Slater, Thurston, (Cooper) Cronk, they would all be massive stars over in Japan where some players can earn $600,000 - $800,000 for just eight games.

"As managers it is our job to get the best for our clients and a deal like that could set a player up for life. A precedent has been set with Sonny Bill (Williams) and you might very well see other players follow suit.

"The clubs would probably want guarantees and the (ARL) Commission would want to have their say on it, but I can see a day where players might only want to commit to one-year deals."

Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys said on Thursday there was no chance their leading man Marshall would be released from his NRL contract so he can play rugby union in Japan.

"Let me put your minds at rest. This will not be happening," Humphreys said in a statement.

"... Benji Marshall will remain an integral member of our team and will not be seeking a release from his contract."

Tauber conceded Marshall was now unlikely ever to take advantage of any big money deals in Japan.

"We should have done it in 2009," he said.

"Benji was off contract then and that would have been the best time to do it, but the NRL prevented it. Whether the same scenario comes up again for another player it remains to be seen if they could stop them from going, but it is unlikely to be Benji.

"He is getting married and when his current deal ends he will probably have children and he will probably not want to uproot them so I can't see it happening."

I hope not, you would imagine most players and clubs would want the security of a longer contract. I don't think most fans would be impressed by this either. It's a bit like musical clubs these days as it is...

The thing about 1 year deals and players either Boxing or having Superleague or Rugby stints is that the NRL may have set this precedent but not manly clubs would be too accepting of it. And there are probably only a hand full of blokes who would be able to command it anyway.

For instance Marshall might crap on about playing Japanese Rugby in the off season But how many players would want to give up their off season let alone attract intrest in a game they don't even play in a country where no body knows them?

At the end of the day, i can't see Manly bowing down and being too accepting of anyone who thinks they are bigger than the club.

Meanwhile out in the real rugby league world (and not in the Benji, SBW, Folau alternate universe so loved by Lazy Danny Weidler and co) other players will continue to sign 2, 3 and 4 year deals.

Thats a stupid article! To make a case like that based on the fact that Benji wanted to, and SBW does is indicative on the poor quality of journalism in this country, particularly in relation to sports.

Like was mentioned above, it can often be more beneficial for a club to have players on one year contracts. All the Sandow type contracts are prime examples of this.

Clubs and players both want security as their number 1 priority. No one wants to negotiate their future every year.

James MacSmith is pushing an agenda, its a load of McCrap.

back in the 80's we had players finish the season here & then go over to england to play league, when their season finished they returned to play for their contracted teams. i understand that times change & crossing codes is another issue but i don't think it will be too long before we see a player have a clause in his contract that allows him to play union overseas during the off season.
it could become a major part of signing a high profile player from another team,i.e. sign with us & we will allow you to go to japan for 10 games.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7