One on one strips

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
So-called one on one strips have proliferated of late and it is a tactic likely to become more common rather than less.
As a possession changer it's a bit like a modern version of the marker winning the play the ball, such as Benny Elias and Ian Roberts used to do.
But this one shows signs of being far more widely used and with refs having to judge whether other tacklers have 'dropped off' the potential for controversy is substantial.
I wonder if Greenberg will change the rule half-way through the season? He likes doing that.

I actually like it - will make attacking players prioritise holding on to the ball. It also enable teams to turn defence into attack.

I agree that the potential for controversy is there, but the refs stuff it up when it seems easy anyway. I thought Prior was very hard done by yesterday when he stripped the ball off Jake in the first half.

I actually like it - will make attacking players prioritise holding on to the ball. It also enable teams to turn defence into attack.

I agree that the potential for controversy is there, but the refs stuff it up when it seems easy anyway. I thought Prior was very hard done by yesterday when he stripped the ball off Jake in the first half.
The only thing about Jake’s game I think needs improving is his deliberate infringing needs to be better hidden. He is TOO genuine and gets pinged every time whilst others are more sly.

The aspect i hate is when 2 or more players tackle the ball runner and after the momentum is taken away the players fall off and the last defender tries to rip the ball out. If you tackle the player 1 on 1 then you should be rewarded with the strip opportunity, but as soon as 2 players touch the ball runner it should be a penalty regardless if all but one fall of the tackle.

The aspect i hate is when 2 or more players tackle the ball runner and after the momentum is taken away the players fall off and the last defender tries to rip the ball out. If you tackle the player 1 on 1 then you should be rewarded with the strip opportunity, but as soon as 2 players touch the ball runner it should be a penalty regardless if all but one fall of the tackle.
Agreed totally

Coaches have adjusted their tactics for the new rule. Some teams get three defenders to rush in and pummel the ball carrier than two peal off and the third tries to wrench the ball free.
And the Refs let their pets do this ad nauseum.

Whereas Thomo got a penalty for 'slow peal off' yesterday :swear:

I like the rule....but again demonstrates some poor officiating
I have seen obvious 1 on 1 penalties and obvious 2 - 3 tacklers and strip allowed play on ??
My favourite strips are from KFC, but I am generally penalised $15 and 1kg of fat whenever I take the field

Not a fan of the ball strip, definitely not a fan of 3 defensive players pummeling the ball carrier then dropping off while one tries the strip and not a good look when a ball player is on way down and the "stripper" is trying to yank the ball. The other issue is the tackled player is trying to grab one of the defenders so that there is two in the tackle, it just all adds to the wrestle and mess that it is in my opinion.
I think it stifles attack and gives yet another reason for the refs to give one team a hand up over another.

That's just me though I don't lose sleep over it.

The problem I’m seeing with the one on one strips is that old chestnut “ referees interpretations”.
Eg - Souths fullback stripped the ball off Croker as he was about to score, the ball came out forwards so should’ve been a Canberra scrum feed for a Souths knock on but he awarded the scrum to Souths ruling Croker lost it.
It’s another grey area that the game doesn’t need.

The worst thing for me was on the weekend. We played the ball on the markers foot, "knock on" sharks play the ball on us and they get a penalty.

Not sure how i feel yet... this weekend i noticed it in all the games i watched. Even multiple strips in a game ie the raiders game. Its exciting and changes the game but its yet to happen to us and cause a difference, maybe when it does i will sway against but until then meh ;)

Not sure how i feel yet... this weekend i noticed it in all the games i watched. Even multiple strips in a game ie the raiders game. Its exciting and changes the game but its yet to happen to us and cause a difference, maybe when it does i will sway against but until then meh ;)

It may stifle the ball playing forward if they keep letting it happen as it is now.
Risk v reward may be too much.

I think it is stupid. How is the ball carrier supposed to know that second that the two peel off and than another tries to yank it away. I am fine with it being a 1;1 strip if only one person is in the tackle, but this new rule is stupid.

I like one on one strips BUT at any stage as soon as a second or third tackler lays a hand on a player that should nullify this, and that’s even if they “ professionally “ drop off once the damage is done.

Once more than one tackler is in play it’s either a drop or a penalty for stripping.

A simple rule change that would nullify what many are doing now.

Sure there are times when the ball carrier has a loose carry and in these instances it should be fair game. But it's too much of a grey area. How can the ref always get it right? If the ball drops to the ground, then it can be very contentious as to who knocked it on. The game is turning into rugby. It's a bad look. Who wants to see a tackler trying to yank the ball off the attacker? Or 3 tacklers going in hard to make a tackle sapping the energy from the attacker, dislodging the ball and then 2 drop off at the last second to enable the 3rd tackler to grab the ball when the attacker is in a vulnerable position?

Why not take this one step further by bringing back the rake and allowing scrums to be contested again?

giphy.gif

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6