Officials - outrageous!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Yet again it is time to come onto this site and say the standard and consistency of the officialdom is non-existent.  And I am very seriously starting to think there is a conspiracy of poor-decision making being applied to Manly.

We have already been cost three games through disgraceful and inconsistent decisions.  Consider the ledger today!

Fien FELL OVER when he came in contact with Bell.  He should have been cautioned for it but it cost us a try.

At the very least Robertson's try should have been benefit of the doubt.  You simply cannot say he touched the flag before he touched down.  However, apply common sense - if the pole is not there would any part of him been physically outside the field of play before the touchdown?

With their last try Mannering was clearly offside and nside the 10.  We have been disallowed tries (which cost us the Knights game) for having someone 9.5 metres away from the ball.  Mannering was 1m away and obstructing a defender!

I'm glad I can point this out with a win under our belt as it is not a case of sour grapes.  Really, what can be done to bring some decency to the officiating????????

What about the forward pass for their first try??  Just saw it on Fox Sports News it was at least 3 metres forward

I am sick of coming out of games with a sore hand from the S**t calls we cop

I may have an anger issue but i always need to belt something after they happen, which is quite often this season

Another one to add to the list

Matai gets smacked in the nose, clear as day on the review, no penalty forthcoming

The only consolation is it's not just us - every team gets the "benefit" of the NRL's current crop of referees. Seriously, the amount of games this year I've seen turn on appalling ref and/or video ref decisions is huge, and it's so frustrating to watch because it just makes you angrier and angrier. The "benefit of the doubt" rule is the one that really kills me. I was happy enough to have Lyon's try disallowed for obstruction even though Fien milked it and wouldn't have got anywhere near him because Bell made contact and that's the way they've (mostly) been ruled this year. And Matai might - just might - have had a little juggle. But there's no way in hell you can tell me the Robbo try shouldn't have been awarded as a benefit of the doubt call.

I've never known a year like it - where there is just bugger all certainty.  As soon as they draw their stupid box in the air you think "oh ****, what now!"

As for today's ref - what hole did he crawl from.  He was diabolical!  How about him constantly lecturing a halfback with 10 seasons of First Grade experience on how to feed a scrum.  He was so pedantic about that but got everything else wrong!

Forward pass on their first try.
Mannering was off side for both the others I think, can't be sure because they never showed the wide angle replay again after the commentaters mentioned him being offside.
Robertson should have been BOD.
Stewart/Matai should have been BOD.

That's potentially a 30 point swing if things went our way instead of theirs, not the sort of effect refs should be having on games.

They are ruining the game because the officials now have way too much influence on the outcome of games. It's criminal the amount of games won and lost on the back of poor decisions, and I'm not even talking contentious decisions, I mean just outright crap calls. It is happening week in and week out and the eunuchs running the game sit on their hands and wonder why crowds are down, and why the game is dying a slow death. FFS make the clowns in the middle PUBLICLY accountable for their f*ck ups xinstead of blindly backing them to the hilt every time. For example, how hard is it to work out when a ball has been knocked on, it is when it is propelled TOWARDS the opponents goal line. Yet how many times to you see a simple dropped ball ruled a knock on, despite the crowd, the players and the television audience being able to work out it went backwards.

The rule that is going to drive the final nail is this going to the video ref on the strips. It is an out and out joke, and I don't often agree with Phil Gould but I fully back his campaign in getting this matter reviewed. Not only does it ruin the flow of the game, but it makes the referees even more insipid because they don't have to have an opinion.

Why not just ref the game from the video refs box. Simply stop the play after each completed tackle and review the previous passage of play from 6 angles and in slow mo. Then have a green light or red light to let the attcking side know whether they can proceed with the play the ball and the next passage of play. Quite simple really, and will rule out the need for interchanges.

I think it is  about time as fans we stood up and demanded answers. It is horrible in every game for every club, the game is more about refs now.  The bloke yesterday should be doomed never to ref first grade again

yeah!

Gallop is so weak he will never admit to things being wrong and Finch is the same will never blame the ref no matter how blatant the mistake. Des should demand answers on the 4 tackle set etc

Look it's been 2 years in a row now we keep getting pulled up for the decoy runner move for interference why is it only us.Maybe des needs to review this move.

Matabele link said:
I'm glad I can point this out with a win under our belt as it is not a case of sour grapes.  Really, what can be done to bring some decency to the officiating????????

I've started to wonder about this as well Mata, but I think its simple really - get rid of the Video Ref!  Go back to letting the three officials on the field make the calls.  I mean for god sake, if the bloke in the box with ALL the technology can't get it right then what is the point????  Don't know how many fans will back my suggestion though!!

I think the video ref should only be allowed to judge on, onside and the grounding.

He should only be allowed to up to 5 viewing, maybe 3, one from each camera angle and only in real time, not frame by frame.

That way he has to make a decision based on that.

Or he is allowed one slow viewing only. He may not get the right decision every time but at least he will make the decision more quickly and benefit of the doubt will be brought back into it

Good points Dan - can't disgree with that particulary the constant review slow mos

For me, much like Dan's suggestion, i'd say 2 shots from each angle (not sure how many there are...4 cameras?) max and real time or half speed only, and absolutely NO frame by frame stuff.  There's time limits for everything on the field (drop outs, goals) so the same should apply to the refs. 

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4