Off the pace

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Poola

Reserve Grader
I know that a few here will come out swinging accusing me of being an unappreciative supporter, however right now we are not the team to beat. I feel our middle is soft and that our pack is bereft of impact. Yes we are the log leaders, however I feel we got there due to other teams having more soo players recuperating. Souths and the Roosters seems to a have a pack that wants to be reckoned with. We need aggression and bulk. Yes we gave agility and pace, however we look meek against quality opposition. Someone once asked if we thought Manly can win the gf with this pack?? Methinks not. We need to improve? Shape up and or shipout

We're just in a form slump. Seems like the way we do it is run in to the finals every year with a bit of a slump and then really turn it on come september. I remember us beating roosters and souffs this year with the pack we have. Tooves will set them right for finals no need to worry just yet.

That 'someone' was me, - I confess. We need 1 really BIG front rower, with ability of course, with mongrel even if its just 20 - 25 mins game time. Preferably the first 12 of each half. With this, our problems would be over.
Many will fire back that its cause Gifty is missing. Maybe, but the point is moot, cause me thinks he's gonna be missing right up to and including finals time. Doubt it'll be anything more than a cameo appearance.

Where's John O'Neil or Spud C when you need them ? However i shouldn't make light, this is a serious situation, and post.

Finals aren't won in August, Souff's are peaking and are the team to beat atm. But come finals time it's a different story we have finals experience which is invaluable.
Souff's will choke again as they have done in the past and there ship will sink.

Tough games like today will have us in good stead come finals time. We will be battle hardened and ready to go. Smashing a team by 50 isn't the preparation you want before the finals.

I'm not as worried as some, and a fair enough opinion @Poola

We still won today and I thought again, whilst our forwards don't always dominate, they hold their own enough to allow the Forans, Lyons, Snake and DCE's to provide our points.

Often teams play at the level the opposition provides; and the Titans really tried hard today.

I'm still quietly confident when the really big games arrive (in September) we'll rise as always too!

Myles, Douglas, Minichiello, Bird and Bailey are a very solid pack. Don't think we did too bad with a few to come back in.

sheridanstand78 said:
Defence is pretty solid but we are struggling with the ball. That needs to improve.

To be fair in our favour, we bombed 2 tries (Cheyse Blair was just a size 14 boot too big in the corner for one!)

And we were robbed of Killer's try (just as often awarded and one was for the home team, for Roberts).

A touch of luck, or different officials, and we may have won by 13+ mate.

I think we are a bit off the pace and personally I think that's a good thing. We aren't gelling great, but are still looking solid in defence.....and we are still winning. Top 4 finish is now sewn up and we can slowly start the momentum roll into September.

Souths to me look like they can't improve, whereas we are playing at 50-60% at the moment. Once we hit 4th and 5th gear we are going to steamroll a few teams.

I also think the Roosters may do the same.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Killer03 said:
Souths to me look like they can't improve,
In fact when Sutton returns they will be worse.

Ive been saying that today as well. Sutton could really affect their dynamic. Suddenly another dominant voice to confuse things, plus he's crap also.

The Sutton-factor (and what Maguire will do with him) has been talked about here for weeks.

He stifles their attack in the no*6.

He'll either slot in at lock, causing a reshuffle (McQueen back to the bench) or find himself on the bench initially himself.

I agree tho.
Play him...he'll alter their "pace" (or mojo) by slowing things down for sure.

If my memory serves me correctly in both our recent 2 premiership seasons we have looked a little off the pace in the last month of a regular season. Hopefully just like in those 2 seasons someone flicks the switch and we just keep upping the gears each week in September. It would be unrealistic to think we will click like we did in 08 when we had arguably the most dominant finals series in the history of the game (3 wins for a aggregate score of 110-12), but I think we can still hope we will take it up a notch or 2.

Some forget we are missing the best ball playing backrower & the best meter gaining, momentum changing center in the game. Get those 2 back & our dynamic changes dramatically. See how well the rorters would go against quality teams without say Guerra & Jennings or Bunnies without Teo & Walker.

Off the pace & still winning with key players out, is a good place to be...particularly against a team with a rugged pack & a ref performing for the home crowd, Titans would have beaten most teams yesterday.

Those big packs of Souths and Roosters have a 1-3 record against us this year, that 1 win coming in the post origin form slump.....

We've had to play most of the tough teams twice - storm, souths, easts, Canterbury. That's a hard draw compared to other teams. And we still have most wins. We haven't had the luxury of playing the raiders twice, or the imploding tigers & Cronulla when they were at their worst.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6