NRL demands answers over Melbourne Storm cheating allegations

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
A bit click "bait-ish" but anyway...

The NRL may issue a breach notice to Melbourne after a trainer stopped play to attend to Suliasi Vunivalu’s cramp during a crucial point in Saturday’s win over Parramatta.

The NRL is seeking a please explain from Melbourne Storm over their trainer stopping play to treat winger Suliasi Vunivalu.

Vunivalu showed obvious discomfort in his left leg after a routine tackle in Saturday's 36-24 win over the Eels in the qualifying final at Suncorp Stadium.

But Storm trainer Matthew Barradeen ran onto the field as play continued and waved his arm to grab referee Ashley Klein's attention, well before he got to Vunivalu to assess him.

Been doing this stuff well before the 2 books - the only thing that changes is the tactics or offences....some are more dangerous than others, but the fact of this matter, with Storm being able to STOP a game for a players cramp, comes down to the officials simply growing a pair and brushing away Smith and Co and saying 2 words "play on"....I guarantee that the cramp would have healed itself instantly.
Every game Smith is the 4th official and actually points out indescretions to the ref every set....I reckon as a player, you should not be allowed to guide a ref, which is obviously bias to your own side and this should constitute an instant penalty.

The more rules the NRL introduces the more times they will be broken by cynical coaches.
I'm sure the NRL rule book could be simplified, with more discretion given to the linesmen and the ref. Couldn't a linesman check on the welfare of the player quickly then rule on whether it was worthy of stopping the game?
Yes, I know, the nannies will be saying a linesman is not a doctor and we owe a duty of care to the player bla bla bla, but the rule is being rorted and it influences the flow of a match and sometimes the end result.

The NRL should introduce a "simulation" rule like the English Premier League did a few years back, for diving.

How it would be policed in rugby league is another question, but one easy one is these players that go down "injured" requiring trainers to come onto the field to patch them up who then get up & limp back into position then on the next play they're miraculously able to run at full speed.

The situation has become ridiculous. A rule that was instituted with a view to player welfare (i.e. for those who are seriously injured and require immediate assistance) has become abused so that it is now used as a tactic to slow down teams attacking momentum. No surprises as to the teams that are abusing it.

That one with Vunivalu was a joke - as was the 5 minute delay while we taped up Sivos knee.

If the game gets stopped by a trainer because of injury then the player should have to leave the field immediately to be attended too. If they come back on within 5 minutes then it's a free interchange as long as the player that originally replaced them leaves the field. If they stay off for longer than 5 minutes then it is a normal interchange. Otherwise the trainer has to sort them out "on the run" as has always been the case

The NRL should introduce a "simulation" rule like the English Premier League did a few years back, for diving.

How it would be policed in rugby league is another question, but one easy one is these players that go down "injured" requiring trainers to come onto the field to patch them up who then get up & limp back into position then on the next play they're miraculously able to run at full speed.
What about the length of time it takes for a conversion attempt, yet when they need to they can have the ball placed and kick it within a few seconds?

What about the length of time it takes for a conversion attempt, yet when they need to they can have the ball placed and kick it within a few seconds?
Have always felt regardless when a try is scored....1st or last minute....time off.
Then have 1 minute from time awarded, to take the shot....this could also be done with penalty goals to stop teams abusing the system

How about utilising the unfortunate players selected at 18 and 19th players? They often don't get a game unless someone has failed a last minute fitness test or there is an accident in training.

They can be the HIA replacement players, to be used only once, whether or not the original player fails to return at 15 mins. Any other HIAs after those two are an "interchange."

So the 18, 19 players will get 15 mins (standard for a bench player) or the remainder of the game, unless the original injured player returns, in which case it becomes an "interchange".

The team is not disadvantaged in number of team players, if it is a genuine HIA, but if not, they use up an interchange spot.

This is a work in progress and needs some more fine tuning.

It's late so I'm probably missing the point. You saying I'm flogging a dead horse because I would like to know the outcome of that show cause notice?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2