NRL CEO Dave Smith's push to introduce rugby-style insurance scheme

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
AN NRL Foundation is among options now being considered for players disabled by the game.

Read More

Related article:

The NRL is to consider a rugby-style insurance scheme to protect players who suffer serious injuries

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph

TANIELA Tuiaki still limps.

Why? He has no idea.

Five years have passed since an innocuous tackle shattered not only his ankle, but all hope of becoming the great NRL winger of an era.

Some weeks he shuffles around construction sites. Others, labouring as a concreter.

“But if I’m standing too long one day, yeah, the next I can’t stand at all,’’ Tuiaki said. “My ankle, it’s too sore to even move. And who wants to employ someone like that?”

Read More.

AN NRL Foundation is among options now being considered for players ­disabled by the game.

NRL CEO David Smith will discuss the proposal this Tuesday when he meets with the Rugby League
Dave-Smith.jpg
Players’ Association over a range of topics, ­including insurance.

Asked to comment on the Taniela Tuiaki situation, the NRL issued a statement reading: “It is always sad when a player is forced from the game through injury. That is why the NRL is working on a new insurance scheme and Foundation to provide various levels of assistance for players who suffer serious injuries. The NRL would also be happy to provide career advice and assistance directly to Taniela.”

While NRL players are not fully covered for “permanent disability”, an Australian rugby star would receive $1.5 million under the Super 15 Rugby insurance scheme.

As part of the policy, players receive $500,000 for death or permanent disability, plus two additional payments — a $400,000 remuneration for players at all levels and a Super 15 payout for career-ending injuries.

That is 75 per cent of their contract for the next two years, capped at $300,000 annually. Players pay two per cent of their pre-tax salary into the fund.

PANTHERS SHOW THE WAY WITH TEEN

MITCH Dening should be the blueprint for how rugby league treats fallen stars.

A young forward with the Penrith Panthers, 19-year-old Dening broke his neck in March while playing for Windsor.

While still able to walk, Dening’s injuries mean he won’t play again. Yet the teen revealed he will be returning to Penrith tomorrow after Phil Gould offered not only access to all rehabilitation staff and facilities, but free accommodation for as long as his recovery takes.

“They’ve also told me that, wherever my future lays, they’ll fund the education,’’ Dening said.

“I’m hoping to become a school teacher.”

Nick Walshaw
The Daily Telegraph

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-ceo-dave-smiths-push-to-introduce-rugbystyle-insurance-scheme/story-fni3fbgz-1226946951282

I was astounded to learn that our Players were not insured.
WTF do the RLPA lobby if not conditions for their Members :mad:

Fully applaud Smith and the new mgt for looking at this.....but why the EFF was this not looked at years ago? It just reinforces the stereotype that the NRL is a billion dollar industry that is run (or has been run) by amateurs.

The RLPA relies on funding from the governing body. Until it can stand on it's own two feet financially, it is a toothless tiger.

eagles2win said:
I've often wondered why the players themselves haven't looked at getting cove themselves.

Yeah or player agents arranging it for them.

I think Hamster is right on the money about the toothless tiger.

(and thanks GE, borrowed your scared tiger video from the something cute for Thursday thread!)

angrybirds.gif

SeaEagleRock8 said:
I think Hamster is right on the money about the toothless tiger.

(and thanks GE, borrowed your scared tiger video from the something cute for Thursday thread!)

angrybirds.gif

No problemo.....here's another one!

post-45224-dog-scared-big-fish-falls-into-2ucE.gif

I've been saying the rlfpa are toothless tigers for so long....some (one) of my own teeth have fallen out!

The players need to be covered...but I just don't know how united they are as a group. Sometimes I think they don't care about group issues. (?)

Again...they need their own office, or just start doing their job and dare the nrl to kick them out. (bad publicity says hi)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7