NRL boss Dave Smith unfazed by ASADA's drawn out doping investigation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
NRL chief executive Dave Smith isn’t surprised the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation has dragged on for more than a year.

More than 12 months after Smith and the heads of six other codes attended the news conference in Canberra branded ”the darkest day in Australian sport”, no player has been suspended and the investigation into the use of banned substances continues.

Smith said he knew at the time that any outcome was a long way off and the NRL had acted carefully as a result. ”I am not surprised, given the complexity and the amount of work involved,” Smith said. ”I can remember as part of that process, as difficult as it was, that the allegations were incredibly serious and really complicated. It felt that it was just at the start, rather than halfway through it, so I felt that it would take a while for the investigators to investigate and for the facts to become clear. That is exactly why I have managed it the way I have because it wasn’t clear and it is becoming clearer as we have managed to establish the facts.”

Former Canberra back Sandor Earl is so far the only player in any code to receive an infraction notice after admitting to using the banned peptide CJC-1295 to treat a shoulder injury in 2011. Earl is facing a ban of up to four years for use and trafficking of a prohibited substance, but is seeking a 75 per cent reduction for providing ”substantial assistance” to the investigation. However, he remains in limbo and NRL chief operating officer Jim Doyle said he didn’t know when Earl would learn his fate.

”At the moment, Sandor and his legal team are obviously still working with ASADA in regards to the level of substantial assistance,” Doyle said. ”It is out of our hands until they have concluded all their discussions and then, obviously, we will take that forward.”

Smith said the NRL was still awaiting a submission from Parramatta trainer Trent Elkin to support his appeal against a minimum two-year ban announced before Christmas over his role in the supplements program at Cronulla in 2011.

Brad Walter

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/nrl-boss-dave-smith-unfazed-by-asadas-drawn-out-doping-investigation-20140224-33d4g.html

NRL chief executive Dave Smith isn't surprised the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority investigation has dragged on for more than a year.

More than 12 months after Smith and the heads of six other codes attended the news conference in Canberra branded ''the darkest day in Australian sport'', no player has been suspended and the investigation into the use of banned substances continues.

Read More

.....and now they're done.

Related article:

ASADA has completed its probe into the AFL and NRL, says chief executive

February 26, 2014 - 8:14PM
Dan Harrison

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has completed its investigation of the AFL and NRL, the body's chief told a Senate hearing on Wednesday.

Outgoing ASADA chief executive Aurora Andruska said the authority was now reviewing the evidence it had gathered and developing briefs.

Click here to read the full article.

Related article:

ASADA probe ends without Stephen Dank's input

February 26, 2014 - 10:33PM
Dan Harrison, Adrian Proszenko

The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority has completed its investigation of the AFL and NRL without speaking to Stephen Dank, the central figure in the drama at Essendon and Cronulla.

Related article:

ASADA probe finalised minus interview with sports scientist Stephen Dank

JOSH MASSOUD
The Daily Telegraph
February 26, 2014 9:09PM

ASADA’s investigation into possible doping offences in the NRL and AFL has officially concluded – minus an interview with the probe’s central figure: sports scientist Stephen Dank.

The major development was revealed at Wednesday’s Senate Estimates Hearing in Canberra, where ASADA boss Aurora Andruska uttered her first words about the investigation for almost nine months.

It was described as the blackest day in Australian sport, but Prime Minister Tony Abbott has slammed the "over-dramatic" media conference held in Canberra on February 7 last year, saying it blackened the reputation of Australian sport.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-03/abbott-slams-27over-dramatic27-announcement/5295140

This ASADA saga is about as interesting as reading that the Rorters are specials to go back-to-back and be regarded as the greatest team of all time, in all sports. Dito Money Bill . . .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8