NRL and clubs snub bush footy with only two trial games to be played in country areas

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
JUST another giant NRL snub!

Bush rugby league officials, players and fans don't need reminding the NRL and its clubs don't give a damn about them.

Read More

JUST another giant NRL snub!

Bush rugby league officials, players and fans don't need reminding the NRL and its clubs don't give a damn about them.

They've been complaining constantly
NRL+Rd+4+Panthers+v+Wests+Tigers+u2ul6kDddMFl1.jpg
about a lack of support and genuine respect for years.

But as if to reinforce the point anyway, the NRL has laid the boot in again.

Over the next three weeks, all 16 NRL clubs will be involved in a series of pre-season trials.

But just two of these games will be played in the bush despite the code crying out for help and support in most country areas.

It appears a lousy two games is all the bush is worth.

Wests Tigers and Penrith will meet at Camden on Saturday night with the Newcastle Knights and Canberra to clash at Scully Park in Tamworth on February 22.

"Just another kick in the guts," CRL chairman Jock Colley claimed yesterday when asked about the snub.

"But that's par for the course. It's an indication of the sort of esteem we are held in.

"When we held our annual player of the year dinner in Sydney two nights before the grand final last year, representatives from every NRL club were invited. Not one showed up.

"They send their scouts out every year looking to sign our best 14 and 15 year olds, hoping to unearth another Laurie Daley. You've only got to look through the ranks of most of the clubs to know a big proportion of the players come from the bush.

"And that's fine. That's what it's all about. Giving young kids a football education and a pathway to go as far as they can in the game.

"It would just be nice if our clubs got something in return.

"But the consensus is NRL clubs are greedy and don't give a damn and decisions like this only back up what most country people think."

NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has shifted the blame directly onto the 16 clubs, telling Country league officials the NRL heirachy has no say over where trial games are played. They leave that to the individual clubs to sort out.

What a cop-out. They should be demanding their clubs play the majority of these games in bush centres every pre-season.

If they have to dip into their pockets for a bit of loose change from the multi- million television rights deal they struck last year to fund it then so be it.

Organised properly, these games would not only indirectly provide much-needed financial support for bush clubs in the areas where they are played, the flow-on effects through junior registrations and promotion would be enormous.

The NRL spends a fortune on junior development each year.

But nothing has a bigger impact on a young rugby league player than to see his or her NRL heroes in the flesh, even if it's just once a year.

Sadly, the NRL appears to have no concept of the constant battle facing officials and volunteers to keep the game alive and flourishing in the bush.

If they did, they wouldn't be making dumb decisions like this.

Barry Toohey

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-and-clubs-snub-bush-footy-with-only-two-trial-games-to-be-played-in-country-areas/story-e6frf3ou-1226817002608

RE: NRL and clubs snub bush footy with only two trial games to be played in country areas

Camden as a bush venue?..that's a stretch.
All 16 clubs should be made to play at least one trial at least 200 kms West of their home ground.

RE: NRL and clubs snub bush footy with only two trial games to be played in country areas

Just another example of the "Head in the Trousers" attitude of rugby league officials highlighted by Roy and HG some years ago and continued on by Greenberg.

I'd be playing the trials close to home too considering they are being made to play a pre-season comp in Auckland which requires them to be away from their families for about a week.

"NRL head of football Todd Greenberg has shifted the blame directly onto the 16 clubs, telling Country league officials the NRL heirachy [sic] has no say over where trial games are played. They leave that to the individual clubs to sort out."

So it's up to the clubs to support country footy?

"The NRL spends a fortune on junior development each year."

IS that true? Exactly how much do they spend? And how much did our juniors get? I thought each club was responsible for junior development in their own area.

Or am I the only one confused about who is responsible for what?

(@Jethro I couldn't post at first, an error message said the title of the thread was over 85 characters - so I made it a bit shorter!)

We constantly hear about league's battle in the west with other codes. West being Western Sydney. League are losing the battle further west by a big stretch. GWS and Central Coast Mariners have a very visual presence out here in Central West NSW as well pumping money into junior sport out here.

I believe each NRL club should be assigned a country area. The NRL should provide set funding to clubs to be used in fostering the game in their area, as well as playing trials, and one NRL match each year in that area. In return, clubs get first crack at the best juniors in their area.

You spoilt brats in the bush have had it too good for too long.

Overseas is where it's at! More games in Vancouver!!!!

Stop complaining. At least you have league over there. I feel sorry for countries like Eritrea, rugby league development over there has been negligible.

It just goes to show well-meaning armatures running a business doesn't really work long-term. Maybe it'll be OK in the short-term but it'll eventually fail.

Just because you strapped on a footy boot doesn't make you a business wiz. Your love of the game is no match for a lack of knowledge and marketing to a greater populace.

For example I'd be paying the US and Canada for rights to broadcast 2 games per week into that market. There is a possible 400,000,000 populace that is not even targeted.

Further I'd be looking at expanding the number of teams to 18 ASAP. I'd suggest back to Adelaide and back to Western Australia to take advantage of the time zones. Then at least you could claim it to be a national competition.

Otherwise soccer, rugby union and other sports such as the AFL will continue to dominate and surpass our game in a few years.

The clubs dont have to play trials in the country. This is the only part of season where clubs get to chose when, where and who they play for a profit and for their fans. End of story

If they dont play trials in the country one can presume they have been trialed and dont have a decent return

If the NRL wants them played elsewhere they should make them part of the TV negotiation, , Pay the clubs for them and schedule them. Greenburg trying to leave the clubs out to dry is laughable. If the NRL wants it , incentify it or get what your given. He is a peanut

SeaEagleRock8 said:
(@Jethro I couldn't post at first, an error message said the title of the thread was over 85 characters - so I made it a bit shorter!)

Fair enough. I didn't realise that there was a character limit. I'll have to keep a check on that when I post an article. :)

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4