NRL and Channel 9 and Friday night

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DSM5

First Grader
Here we go again.  Just to prove that 9 runs the game how do the NRL justify putting on the match of the season on the same night as the opening of the Olympic Games.  Obviously Chanel 9 want to put the league up against Chanel 7 and the NRL have once again rolled over.  Purely for TV ratings many people will miss out on either the game or the Games.  My guess is that the crowd wont be a sell out as people stay home to catch the ceremony on 7..We miss out to the ratings struggle.  NRL are run by fools. 

DSm5  I think you are greatly over estimating the interest in the Olympics.

I couldn't care less about it the **** heap of an event as I think you will find so many other normal people agree

Dan I agree with you about the Olympics.  I consider them a complete waste of time and money.  But, there's a lot of people very gullible to this style of nationalistic claptrap and will stay up to see the rubbish.  Not so much the events, but the opening ceremony is a big ratings thing.

The people who watch it usually aren't major footy fans, I don't think it will be an issue

My point is that 9 put its ratings struggle with 7 ahead of the game.  And the NRL doesn't have the balls to insist that the game be put on at 3.00pm on Sunday. 

Most people probably don't care too much about the whole olympics but the opening ceremony is the thing to watch.

And yes, I agree, the code is run by fools.

In Melbourne you don't even get the game on Nine.

EDIT: I sit corrected, its on Channel Nine at Midnight. Bwahahahahahahah!

Can Nine and News Ltd get on the same page, please? I don't support a Melbourne team but if you are going to do it, to push into this heartland of AFL, then do it properly.

The only interesting thing about the olympics will be how many people die in the heat and polluted air in Beijing. 

No blue sky there.

weev link said:
Most people probably don't care too much about the whole olympics but the opening ceremony is the thing to watch.

And yes, I agree, the code is run by fools.

In Melbourne you don't even get the game on Nine.

EDIT: I sit corrected, its on Channel Nine at Midnight. Bwahahahahahahah!

Can Nine and News Ltd get on the same page, please? I don't support a Melbourne team but if you are going to do it, to push into this heartland of AFL, then do it properly.

I am quite surprised that Channel 9 are not showing the game live in Melbourne. They have shown a few Sunday arvo Storm games live when they have played away from home. Very poor work from 9.

Eagle Predator I've been to China many times.  It's a truly wonderful country.  (Most of the pollution is from making stuff for us to consume). 

Dan - just because you don't like the Oympics, don't assume that everyone else feels the same way!!! I love the footy and am an avid fan of certain aspects of the Olympics. I think that 9 are fools, and DSM5 is correct!!

Who cares what it is up against, a footy fan will be watching the match, simple as that

To me, and most people i know, the actual games themselves are what matters, so unless you suspend the NRL for a couple of weeks there will be a clash no matter where you put it

The opening ceremony starts at 8:08pm on 8/8/08. 10:08pm Sydney so what's the big deal. You can either watch the game live or at the ground and then go home and watch the Olympics op ceremony. It will only stuff up those that live 45mins or more away and go to the game.
Storm in a teacup so to speak..........

DSM5 link said:
Eagle Predator I've been to China many times.  It's a truly wonderful country.  (Most of the pollution is from making stuff for us to consume). 

DSM5 I don't doubt that it's a wonderful country to visit however i couldn't see my self going there for a holiday.With China's rapid economic growth theres always going to be new  factories going up and as a result pollution.I would just rather go to Japan for a holiday if i was going to that part of the world.

I wouldn't rave on about the Olympics either. The only thing I don't mind watching is the swimming & in particular the 1500m. On the opening ceremony, I won't be watching it & even just to see the Aussies you have to wait until after midnight because they are 2nd last to enter. The footy is the way to go for me.

DSM5 link said:
Here we go again.  Just to prove that 9 runs the game how do the NRL justify putting on the match of the season on the same night as the opening of the Olympic Games.  Obviously Chanel 9 want to put the league up against Chanel 7 and the NRL have once again rolled over.  Purely for TV ratings many people will miss out on either the game or the Games.  My guess is that the crowd wont be a sell out as people stay home to catch the ceremony on 7..We miss out to the ratings struggle.  NRL are run by fools. 

The opening ceremony doesn't start until 9.50pm.  so don;t get your widdle in a froth.

I don't give a flying about the olimprics Mata, I'm just on about the limp wrists running our game laying down so they can get it in the rear from Chanel 9. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6