Northern Pride/Leary

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

rosco

Reserve Grader
Good Luck Blake

Good luck to our new recruit Blake Leary who leads the Northern Pride (Cairns) forwards in the Intrust Qld Cup Grand Final tomorrow afternoon. A win would mean a match against the NSW Cup winners on GF day. Would be goodt o have someone to cheer next week. 23 yr old backrower who was in the Qld residents team this year. Born in Mona Vale and follows BJ and Tyson Andrews from Northern Pride to Manly. Game will be replayed on TV but not sure what time.

RE: Good Luck Blake

Yep, will be cheering for the Pride tomorrow. Easts are only a stones throw from where I live but they are now a feeder club for Melbourne.

rosco said:
Good luck to our new recruit Blake Leary who leads the Northern Pride (Cairns) forwards in the Intrust Qld Cup Grand Final tomorrow afternoon. A win would mean a match against the NSW Cup winners on GF day. Would be goodt o have someone to cheer next week. 23 yr old backrower who was in the Qld residents team this year. Born in Mona Vale and follows BJ and Tyson Andrews from Northern Pride to Manly. Game will be replayed on TV but not sure what time.

I'd say through the week rosco. (Always get QLD Cup games on Wednesday evening here).

At least in NSW, I mean (We've got the Ron Massey Cup GF on Foxtel now; the NSW Cup GF this arvo' : Panthers v Knights).

I will keep an eye out for the QLD Cup replay now too (thank U for the head's up).

Very keen to see Blake in action, irrespective of the result.

(And of course, Good Luck with Manly next year!)

Watched the Q Cup GF.Pride were easy winners and very impressive.They play the Panthers next week on GF day who are apparently the best NSW Cup side for years so might get a decent look at Leary next week.

Leary didn't see much of the ball but looked likely.Athletic wide running back rower on the left side.Looks to have potential and can run a good line by all reports.Set up a nice second half try.Best player on the field by a mile was 5/8 Shawn Nona who has been snapped up by the Storm.If he gets fit could be an NRL half.

For those who love a bit of old school biff Ricky Thorby threw plenty and quite a few were happy to accommodate him.Pride ended with 11 and Tigers captain was sent off.

No worries.The Pride apparently used Learys side all year to great effect but used the right more in the GF and when they went left Leary was often a decoy so difficult to assess.He does look like a footballer though and not one of those predictable athletes who are so prevalent these days.Has a nice pass,good step and runs outside and inside lines well according to a few blokes who know his game.Might provide a point of difference in our side if he progresses.

Overall standard by the Pride was high.Looking forward to the Panthers clash.

He looks like he's one of those tough granite hard backrowers. I feel he's going to be good for us.

COMMANDER said:
Pride V Penrith, should be a cracker.

The Ron Massey Cup GF today was a far better game (than the Panthers easily beating the Knights in NSW Cup!)

So Iv'e been a bit distracted, last week or so.

Fill me in here.

Souths v Dogs (1st-grade).

Pride v Penrith.

And who's ended up in Holden Cup GF then?

I'm losing interest in the lot, even as I type. (Apart from seeing Blake. and the Vermin hammer the Dogs). If I watch any of it at all.

RiverEagle said:
COMMANDER said:
Pride V Penrith, should be a cracker.

The Ron Massey Cup GF today was a far better game (than the Panthers easily beating the Knights in NSW Cup!)

So Iv'e been a bit distracted, last week or so.

Fill me in here.

Souths v Dogs (1st-grade).

Pride v Penrith.

And who's ended up in Holden Cup GF then?

I'm losing interest in the lot, even as I type. (Apart from seeing Blake. and the Vermin hammer the Dogs). If I watch any of it at all.

Broncos and Warriors to battle in the under-20s

Thanks @Harry

The 20's and the Pride/Riff game might both be better viewing!

(Still hope Souths destroy De$ and his Dog$!)

Same here, but there's another Thread about it on the go too, lol.

They get merged sometimes it seems.

But I'm looking forward to seeing Blake in action, at least once, before he comes to Brookvale.

RiverEagle said:
Thanks @Harry

The 20's and the Pride/Riff game might both be better viewing!

(Still hope Souths destroy De$ and his Dog$!)

I agree mate. Parra had it in the bag towards the end but their defence let them down and so the Warriors came back.
I am going for Souths. I hope they have bought a reinforced change room door for Des to practise on.

I watched it earlier (Pride v Easts GF).

Blake was quiet (especially in the 1st-half) but as sometimes happens, the ball went away from his left-edge side often. By contrast, in the 2nd-half, he was more involved. Proving he was also instructed to play more of a decoy-role in the 1st-half; as he's normally similar to a Gift-type player, just on their left.

He had a hand in 2 tries; very cleverly in the 1st. And generally was more involved, after a healthy lead was confirmed for the Pride. (Their best forwards were Ben Spina at lock; and Jason Roos at hooker/dummy-half).

Ricky Thorby was great (the 1st 20 mins) in a Sam Moa style-of-play. (He's 28 and joining a new franchise, Townsville Blackhawks, next year; but still "hopeful" of another NRL go). On what I saw I'd have him come down here with Blake; but the signings of Baker (22yrs-old) and other forwards now would make that very unlikely.

Shaun Nona at 5/8 was terrific (but heading south to the Scum) anyway.
And, we've got JLJ and perhaps Manaia Rudolph to cover Foz again still, too.

Davin Crampton (no: 4) in the centres also impressed me. As did Kyle Feldt on the wing; but he's aligned with Nth QLD again as far as I know.

Good standard of footy. Bit clumsy at times, but so are many NRL games.
Just very one-sided with the Pride dominant all day.

As for the highly-touted and condemned "all-in-brawl" it was very minor compared to what we've seen down the years. In fact at least a couple of blokes actually threw a punch (Including Thorby, as mentioned). Then, it got petty and too-niggly for the last 10 mins.

However, all of that was well-controlled (as was the game) by just the ONE ref, Clayton Sharpe. *I wish the NRL would defer and go back to the same.

Good Luck with Manly, Blake.

Cliffy said:
Leary has some class about him. But yeah wish we were looking at props.

Leary is their forward leader (just a ploy to not use him as much early I gathered).

And we are looking at props Cliffy's.

Uiti Baker is a big-unit coming to Brookie.

(As are a couple of other young forwards mentioned elsewhere).

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6